Are we really that badly off compared to our rivals? (1 Viewer)

JustWoody

So eveyone is down on Coventry's chances for this coming season, personally I don't think that we are thet much worse of that last season (seasoned goalscorer apart, SISU please do something about this)

But, looking around at the other clubs in the championship, I don't think that we are in the mire alone:

Watford - lost Malky McKay to Cardiff, some would say he was the main thing getting them playing last season, has their luck run out?
Middlesboro - lost their first choice strikeforce in Lita (Swansea) and Boyd (Turkey), could they be going the same way as Shef Utd?
Forest - lost a whole clutch of their first team, ok so they haev brought in McLaren, but he has a patcy managerial CV at best (ok he did well in Holland, but that about it)
Leeds - many or their influencial players have either been sold or are long term injuries + how many clubs come up from league 1 and do well for a season before bouncing back down again
Palace - similar situation as us, scratching around for cash
Peterborough - Sold Mackail-Smith + Boyd may also be on his way

+ I'd expect Barnsley + Doncaster to be in the bottom 1/3 too

Point is we haev got just as much chance as any / many of the clubs mentioned above + as we all know the championship is always very tight and a bit of luck here and there can make a massive difference to where you finish

Dinyull

We've lost the best goalkeeper in the division - replaced with an average Championship keeper. Lost a promising young midfielder - not replaced him. Lost our best striker in years - not replaced him.

Last season we finished 17th.
We have an unproven manager.
Our first team is weaker than last season.
Our squad is weaker than last season.
We have no money so as soon as a decent offer is made for our better players they'll b off.

So in summary - weaker than a side that finished 17th last season with the posibility of losing 1 or 2 more before the windo closes with a slight chance of 1 or 2 coming in. I would be ecstatic with anything other than relegation.

kg82

So eveyone is down on Coventry's chances for this coming season, personally I don't think that we are thet much worse of that last season (seasoned goalscorer apart, SISU please do something about this)

But, looking around at the other clubs in the championship, I don't think that we are in the mire alone:

Watford - lost Malky McKay to Cardiff, some would say he was the main thing getting them playing last season, has their luck run out?
Middlesboro - lost their first choice strikeforce in Lita (Swansea) and Boyd (Turkey), could they be going the same way as Shef Utd?
Forest - lost a whole clutch of their first team, ok so they haev brought in McLaren, but he has a patcy managerial CV at best (ok he did well in Holland, but that about it)
Leeds - many or their influencial players have either been sold or are long term injuries + how many clubs come up from league 1 and do well for a season before bouncing back down again
Palace - similar situation as us, scratching around for cash
Peterborough - Sold Mackail-Smith + Boyd may also be on his way

+ I'd expect Barnsley + Doncaster to be in the bottom 1/3 too

Point is we haev got just as much chance as any / many of the clubs mentioned above + as we all know the championship is always very tight and a bit of luck here and there can make a massive difference to where you finish

Couldn't agree more. We've replaced our keeper with a more than capable keeper, Gunnar won't be missed that much. We just need someone to replace King (as well as a couple of others for back up). What I keep thinking is, the only one that played in the last game of the season against Norwich was Gunnar (I think) out of the ones we've lost and we more than matched them. The friendly we played against them has no significance whatsoever, it's just a workout and we got a few injuries. Now, if we can just hold our own until we can maybe get a couple players in I think we'll be fine and I don't think we'll struggle anywhere near as much as people seem to think we will.

ccfc1973

We've lost our 3 best players from a team that finished 18th so yes we are!!! if we stay up they should build a statue of Andy thorn

kg82

I'll make a bet now with anyone on here that we won't get relegated this season! Only one person though, I'm a student!

shmmeee

I'll make a bet now with anyone on here that we won't get relegated this season! Only one person though, I'm a student!

I'd take that bet too. You see this crap every pre-season about how we're certainties to go down. Nothing is that certain in this division. We're as likely to end up top half as we are to be relegated.

Dinyull

I'd take that bet too. You see this crap every pre-season about how we're certainties to go down. Nothing is that certain in this division. We're as likely to end up top half as we are to be relegated.

You need to pull your head out of the ground. Why do you think we're as likely to end up top half as we are to be relegated? Thorn, squad, fans???

kg82

Also, pessimism is for as the season progresses, not pre-season!! I really just can't see us going down (famous last words)!

kg82

You need to pull your head out of the ground. Why do you think we're as likely to end up top half as we are to be relegated? Thorn, squad, fans???

You're right, he's not allowed an opinion of his own :facepalm:

Chipfat

I'm really liking you showing your working out on this one :)

Most of the points that have been made to why we are in a worse position than last year, and the YES answer is because the reason are so obvious. If you are positive enough to think what we have is good enough than thats your opinion and i respect that, but having supported this club for 37 years i know what a bad squad is and this is it.

The other reason i would add is we have 7 academy players who have no experience in this league added to that Cameron 20 games, Hussey 12 games, Clarke 25+, and Deegan the same it doesnt look good in what is a very hard league...

I would also put Leeds, Forest and Doncaster above us by seasons end and us struggling it out with Watford, the two Boros, Palace and Barnsley for 3 bottom spots. This is unless we do get new investors who do have the ability to buy some players to add depth and quality into this current squad.

M

dazzled2u

The View of some pundits:

Championship bottom three: Watford, Coventry, Peterborough.
Posh will struggle to score the goals they did in League One and Darren Ferguson was found wanting when he stepped up a division with Preston last season, while Coventry don't have a strong enough squad for me and will really miss goalkeeper Keiren Westwood. Watford, meanwhile, are in trouble after the loss of manager Malky Mackay to Cardiff and leading scorer Danny Graham to Swansea.

Championship bottom three: Coventry, Derby, Doncaster.
Coventry have lost the goals of Marlon King plus midfielder Aron Gunnarsson and goalkeeper Keiren Westwood - the spine of their team. Derby and Doncaster finished up with 49 and 48 points respectively last season and in another campaign less than 50 points would have sent them down. I think they are in for another season of struggle.

Championship bottom three: Peterborough, Barnsley, Doncaster.
Tricky to call, but I think Posh will miss Mackail-Smith massively, while Barnsley don't have the firepower and Donny look short all over the park

The waiting is almost over as the Championship kicks back in to action on Friday night as Hull face Blackpool at the KC Stadium. For lower league fans all across the country the time is now upon you as reality kicks in. Will your pre season optimism turn to a nightmare? Is it inevitable that West Ham will romp home at the top? Can Coventry stay up? Will Blackpool go straight back up?

Everybody is thinking the same as us that without new players we are going to struggle :(

Dinyull

What would be the point in taking your bet on? I'd only be gaining my tax money back.

To be honest, anyone who seriously thinks there is more chance of finishing top 10 than relegation with the squad, manager, financial position of the club is daydreaming.

kg82

What would be the point in taking your bet on? I'd only be gaining my tax money back.

To be honest, anyone who seriously thinks there is more chance of finishing top 10 than relegation with the squad, manager, financial position of the club is daydreaming.

Where did I say that? Just said we won't get relegated.

Something against students I'm guessing with your "gaining my tax money back" comment! Dude, I worked for 8 years before going back to uni (because I lost my job), so I'd say I'm actually getting MY tax money back.

Dinyull

Where did I say that? Just said we won't get relegated.

Something against students I'm guessing with your "gaining my tax money back" comment! Dude, I worked for 8 years before going back to uni (because I lost my job), so I'd say I'm actually getting MY tax money back.

Schmeeee said more chance of top 10 then relegation - who I was picking up on, who I said needed to pick his head up out of the ground!

Nowt against students, just thought I'd put a cheap dig in there.

gouldberg

Or maybe we're just not Mr.Negative?

Under Thorn last season we played better football than we did under Aidy - FACT
The new formation improved the performances of players including Bell, McSheffrey and Juke - FACT
Clingan has said he's happy at Coventry and Thorn says he expects him to stay - FACT
The clubs youth set-up is churning out players ready for next season (Thomas, Bigirimana, Clarke, Christie) - FACT
Coventry City lost only 2 league games under Thorn last season - FACT
Coventry failed to score in only 1 league game under Thorn - FACT

It's not all doom and gloom.......we have a squad of similar ability to last season. Westwood has been replaced by a good keeper at this level. Gunnar was if anything a liability meaning we're short by just 1 striker going into this season. With the way we played under Thorn last season, we can easily pick up results against almost anyone in this league.

Sky Blue Sheepy

We're a thin squad no doubt, but I wouldn't go as far as saying a bad squad. Besides, some teams pull remarkable runs out of so-called Adversity... here's hoping.

Dinyull

Or maybe we're just not Mr.Negative?

Under Thorn last season we played better football than we did under Aidy - FACT
The new formation improved the performances of players including Bell, McSheffrey and Juke - FACT
Clingan has said he's happy at Coventry and Thorn says he expects him to stay - FACT
The clubs youth set-up is churning out players ready for next season (Thomas, Bigirimana, Clarke, Christie) - FACT
Coventry City lost only 2 league games under Thorn last season - FACT
Coventry failed to score in only 1 league game under Thorn - FACT

It's not all doom and gloom.......we have a squad of similar ability to last season. Westwood has been replaced by a good keeper at this level. Gunnar was if anything a liability meaning we're short by just 1 striker going into this season. With the way we played under Thorn last season, we can easily pick up results against almost anyone in this league.

Not Mr. Negative at all - I prefer Mr. Realistic. Read my first post in this thread.

And to say the club youth set-up is churning players out ready for this season is crazy talk. They might be ready but we don't know that yet.

Simple facts are, finished 17th last season, lost our 2 best players, squad is weaker, first team is weaker and we have an unproven manager. Be honest - if you saw another club with the pre-season we've had after a poor season you'd put them down as relegation favorite's.

As for Thorn - he did excellent last season and was the man I wanted to be given the job, however, a lot of caretakers have taken over and improved things that season only to fail the following season. I hope he does well and have faith but I'm not expecting miracles.

Last edited:

Dinyull

Also, what I usually find is those that are overly optimistic are the first to turn against the manager if we start poorly or go though a sticky patch. That's the last thing we need.

Il Pirata

Not at all, but he's proven himself to be better than Deegan, Thomas and the rest of the young un's. Might not prove to be a miss if the youngsters step up but that's a big if.
His head had gone for some time, with these 'personal problems, whatever they were. If Bigirimana can build on his early promise then the recent Gunnarsson will not be hard to surpass. But of course, they are kids and will make silly mistakes.

King is by far the biggest blow, his loss might have basically swung our season unless we get a quality loan/free attacking player.

Westwood is also a considerable loss but goalkeepers are the easiest to replace. Murphy might have his faults but he's still good. Westwood was not infallible, for someone 6'2" he played like a much smaller goalkeeper. And he was another who seemed to dip off last year, with contract talks in the background.

We might be short in a bit of quality and numbers right now, but we'll have some really hungry players who are either young or looking to prove a point. I've seen other teams do well with less than we have. The biggest issue to me is the inevitable injuries, our first 11-13 is ok for mid table but after that...

Dinyull

Totally agree, just get worried that many on here expect big things from Thomas and Bigirimana straight away.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
More than anything it is the depth and experience of the squad that is the concern. I have no doubt that some of our youngsters will do a fine job given time but because our squad is so "thin" they dont have that time. We are expecting them to cover the first eleven which isnt a bad team when they are all fit but it isnt a top team based on last season and pre season.

Look what happens when our perrenial under achiever gets injured (Freddy) there is a mild panic that we dont have enough players up front..... Juke is carrying a knock.... Turner who knows when/if he will be back. Take out players like this , maybe get more injuries or suspensions and we will be one of the least equipped to cope in the division

Now we may get a good run going, we may get the players back, no major injuries, no suspensions and the young lads play out of their skins - I am certainly not ruling that out, its about time we had some luck - but in reality is that what we are relying on ? Luck ? Will our best 11 or 13 stay fit, keep it going and achieve some momentum? Any one looking in from outside would stop and think probably not.

Time will tell but on the face of it we would appear not to be as strong as our rivals - that doesnt mean we wont match them though but thats only one possible outcome. We wont honestly know until we have played say 10 games how capable we are.

Only thing we can do is get behind them as of 12 30 Saturday, sing our hearts out, give them time and keep our fingers crossed. All things are possible as of now

Ernie Machin

We won't go down, I'm positive enough about that. But we're not going to trouble the top half any time soon. Just another bland season, I suspect - though the football will be an improvement on last year under Nice guy Aidy.

frishnit1979

We've a fair squad for the Championship, but only insofar as the first team: a couple of injuries and we'll be asking a lot of the youngsters.

For me, the best thing we can do as fans is to support Thorn: he's hardly been given the cash to splash and with King going he's lost the real teeth that made his short spell last season so appealling. Should the worst come to the worst and we do end up droping a league, I'm hoping the blame is not deposited entirely at his door.

Saying that, what a hero he'll become if he keeps us up! :)

Users who are viewing this thread