Are the fans partially to blame?? (1 Viewer)

Mr Creosote

We blame ACL and SISU for the current situation but does some of the blame lay at our door!!??
Three years ago the annual ticket revenues were in the region of £3.5m, they are now just over £1m! The fair weather fan loss of income has surely played a part in current financial crisis....Other clubs fans like Leeds didn't disappear when times were bad.... Why did we?

skybluesam66

1m so 10000 x £15x 23 games = 3.45m

you are saying the average ticket price is around £4

if yes - let me know where you get your tickets from

coundonskyblue

£1m? Average of £15 over 23 games brings in over £3m.

Third best supported team in the league, twice the league average.

Could we be better supported? Yes Are we the cause of problems? No

Mr Creosote

Never said we were to blame, just said if we were still packing 20,000 every other Saturday into the stadium the financial position would be very different......

exiled_to_Leeds

How many reasons would you like?

The lack of success on the pitch, the fact that Coventry as a city is struggling with the decimation of the manufacturing industry, the move from Highfield Road, the ongoing soap opera of our owners and that of the stadium STILL being in a pissing contest after all these years, the general malaise in English football that those running and playing the game are completely disconnected from those they expect to spend money week in week going to games. I could go on!

Macca

In fairness I do see your point but perhaps the wording was wrong. It's not US that are to blame but maybe the lack if interest in the city

Mr Creosote

1m so 10000 x £15x 23 games = 3.45m

you are saying the average ticket price is around £4

if yes - let me know where you get your tickets from

Real attendance bums on sears is 7,000 to 8,000. A large proportion of those are given away for free to schools and clubs. Regardless of what you believe the £'s to be, the fact we have not been attending the games means there is less money to spend on the pitch. If attendances were like they were 2/3 years ago we would be in a better financial position..,, FACT

Mr Creosote

How many reasons would you like?

The lack of success on the pitch, the fact that Coventry as a city is struggling with the decimation of the manufacturing industry, the move from Highfield Road, the ongoing soap opera of our owners and that of the stadium STILL being in a pissing contest after all these years, the general malaise in English football that those running and playing the game are completely disconnected from those they expect to spend money week in week going to games. I could go on!

You either support your team by attending matches or not.....

We blame ACL and SISU for the current situation but does some of the blame lay at our door!!??
Three years ago the annual ticket revenues were in the region of £3.5m, they are now just over £1m! The fair weather fan loss of income has surely played a part in current financial crisis....Other clubs fans like Leeds didn't disappear when times were bad.... Why did we?

What a complete Tw@ thanks for your contribution Timmy

Monkeyface

Maybe, to an extent anyway. There's a lot of apathy around Cov, and not just the football club (although I personal think there's a link there too), which makes us not that appealing. whether you're offpro-SISU, pro-ACL, whatever... where's the fighting spirit that might have come though at other clubs? All we seem to have is City fans falling out and calling each other names on a forum.

Mr Creosote

In fairness I do see your point but perhaps the wording was wrong. It's not US that are to blame but maybe the lack if interest in the city

Could be.... But we need bums on seats buying tickets if we want money spent on the pitch... Simple maths really....

Mr Creosote

Maybe, to an extent anyway. There's a lot of apathy around Cov, and not just the football club (although I personal think there's a link there too), which makes us not that appealing. whether you're offpro-SISU, pro-ACL, whatever... where's the fighting spirit that might have come though at other clubs? All we seem to have is City fans falling out and calling each other names on a forum.

I agree, if we we attending matches at the Level of 20,000 plus like before, I really believe the current financial crisis would be very different....

Mucca Mad Boys

I'd say it is a factor, we have lost out on the income, but the mismanagement of the club for decades has been the crux of the problem, ACL aren't necessarily to blame as it was McGinnity and co. who signed it, Richardson came up with the idea. SISU have played their part in this sorry story but we were prophetically warned by Alki David indirectly when he wished the new owners 'good luck' (meaning to me, that, they were fucked), you could argue the people that let SISU in were at fault. Now, I'd say ACL are pushing the club to brink (as well as SISU, both do not have the club at heart imo), threatening liquidation, admin, and generally not helping the club as well as they could. I do think the council took advantage of CCFC in their time of need as I do think they could've helped us out financially like they have with ACL.

This is a total farce, and I can't wait till the club finishes this chapter.

There's so many factors for the demise of our beloved club, you can't particularly pick one factor, only a main factor.

Mr Creosote

I'd say it is a factor, we have lost out on the income, but the mismanagement of the club for decades has been the crux of the problem, ACL aren't necessarily to blame as it was McGinnity and co. who signed it, Richardson came up with the idea. SISU have played their part in this sorry story but we were prophetically warned by Alki David indirectly when he wished the new owners 'good luck' (meaning to me, that, they were fecked), you could argue the people that let SISU in were at fault. Now, I'd say ACL are pushing the club to brink (as well as SISU, both do not have the club at heart imo), threatening liquidation, admin, and generally not helping the club as well as they could. I do think the council took advantage of CCFC in their time of need as I do think they could've helped us out financially like they have with ACL.

This is a total farce, and I can't wait till the club finishes this chapter.

There's so many factors for the demise of our beloved club, you can't particularly pick one factor, only a main factor.

Very informed and sensible post...

I think the whole thing needs to break before it can be fixed properly....

Hopefully then the fair weather fans get off their sofas and come and support the team in the stadium....

ampthill_sba

I've been to 16 away games, have a season ticket (3 actually) and been to all the home JPT games...certainly not a fairweather fan: BUT I can understand why someone with an interest in supporting our club but with other pressures wouldn't turn up regularly to see poor players, poor opposition in a stadium with poor atmosphere.

Would you go to a concert if you stood alone and the band hit duff notes...

Colin1883

You do have a point but the financial mismanagement of the club has been happening for years... Next you'll be blaming the advent of the prem league... Ooops! ...

As things stand the support of the will dwindle because the next generation of fans is not coming through... most kids around the city support one of the big four...

Success on the pitch breeds interest... Relegation / a club in turmoil / another relegation / the madness that surrounds the club are you really surprised that gates have fallen?

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Ive said this before , MANY for attendances being lower than they should be for a City in top 10 population wise over the last 40 years.

Even with those reasons, lets not kid oursevles Coventry should have better support, so yes Coventry City fans partially to blame.

I have not checked the figures but has Sheff United attendences dropped since relegation in the way Coventry have? I suspect not.

Also, Coventry are a bigger club than Sheffied United and Portmouth and if they are not they certainly should be!

rupert_bear

Never said we were to blame, just said if we were still packing 20,000 every other Saturday into the stadium the financial position would be very different......
You don]t get 20000 gates in the third division, winning half a dozen home games and losing to the likes of Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe, Carlisle

Mr Creosote

I've been to 16 away games, have a season ticket (3 actually) and been to all the home JPT games...certainly not a fairweather fan: BUT I can understand why someone with an interest in supporting our club but with other pressures wouldn't turn up regularly to see poor players, poor opposition in a stadium with poor atmosphere.

Would you go to a concert if you stood alone and the band hit duff notes...

All the poor elements you refer to wont get any better if all Cov fans stay at home!!

Mr Creosote

You do have a point but the financial mismanagement of the club has been happening for years... Next you'll be blaming the advent of the prem league... Ooops! ...

As things stand the support of the will dwindle because the next generation of fans is not coming through... most kids around the city support one of the big four...

Success on the pitch breeds interest... Relegation / a club in turmoil / another relegation / the madness that surrounds the club are you really surprised that gates have fallen?

But fan support buying tickets will eventually pay off, surely??

Mucca Mad Boys

Very informed and sensible post...

I think the whole thing needs to break before it can be fixed properly....

Hopefully then the fair weather fans get off their sofas and come and support the team in the stadium....

But it's a vicious cycle, because we've been poor at home, people don't want to go, to add to this, whenever we get big crowds, we tend to lose (it's not a bogey, it's law of averages, we've lost games when we've have low attendances, people nonetheless use that as an excuse), there's also the recession, I didn't get my ST for my birthday this year, but had to buy it myself (not feeling sorry for myself by any means, I'm just stating it, people have priorities and a club in decline isn't going to top that in these times for most people, fools like myself beg to differ!), the price of football is too high in this country, but that's because it's been corrupted by Sky's money, and finally, the club just hasn't had exciting times in the last 30-odd years, I haven't seen anything of note, so we've lost a whole generation of supporters to the 'top 4', which has led to the systematic apathy surrounding the club at this moment. Look at the JPT, our fans turned out in force, we need something to reel fans in, rent discussions, possible admin, poor home team and a team that cant string more than 2 wins in a row will not get bums on seats.

It's very sad, but so very true.

I think the song to describe my feelings at this moment is 'Does Anyone Care About Us' by The King Blues.

Mr Creosote

But it's a vicious cycle, because we've been poor at home, people don't want to go, to add to this, whenever we get big crowds, we tend to lose (it's not a bogey, it's law of averages, we've lost games when we've have low attendances, people nonetheless use that as an excuse), there's also the recession, I didn't get my ST for my birthday this year, but had to buy it myself (not feeling sorry for myself by any means, I'm just stating it, people have priorities and a club in decline isn't going to top that in these times for most people, fools like myself beg to differ!), the price of football is too high in this country, but that's because it's been corrupted by Sky's money, and finally, the club just hasn't had exciting times in the last 30-odd years, I haven't seen anything of note, so we've lost a whole generation of supporters to the 'top 4', which has led to the systematic apathy surrounding the club at this moment. Look at the JPT, our fans turned out in force, we need something to reel fans in, rent discussions, possible admin, poor home team and a team that cant string more than 2 wins in a row will not get bums on seats.

It's very sad, but so very true.

I think the song to describe my feelings at this moment is 'Does Anyone Care About Us' by The King Blues.

If what you say s true, why should anyone support any team outside of the prem!!?? Me for one can't live with that, I wanna support my team, not some marketing managers dream...

stupot07

It's definitely a factor but your sums are way out. If you consider the average price of a ticket when considering concessions, adults and season tickets is probably about £15-16 per game.

We averaged approx 17.3k in 2009/10 season £15 x 17500 x 23 matches is £5,968,500
This season we average 11k at home £15 x11000 x 23 is £3,795,000

the rumpo kid

people dont pay to watch shit.
sisu wouldnt buy good players and sold the good ones we had = shit
ACL charged to much rent so sisu wouldnt buy players = shit
shit +shit =shit squared.

Mr Creosote

It's definitely a factor but your sums are way out. If you consider the average price of a ticket when considering concessions, adults and season tickets is probably about £15-16 per game.

We averaged approx 17.3k in 2009/10 season £15 x 17500 x 23 matches is £5,968,500
This season we average 11k at home £15 x11000 x 23 is £3,795,000

Your numbers are wrong, but to save any argument I will agree with you, but based on your figures we are over 6,000 fans short every game. This would buy a player or two!!!

Mr Creosote

people dont pay to watch shit.
sisu wouldnt buy good players and sold the good ones we had = shit
ACL charged to much rent so sisu wouldnt buy players = shit
shit +shit =shit squared.

If that's your view go and support one of the prem teams.....

Mucca Mad Boys

If what you say s true, why should anyone support any team outside of the prem!!?? Me for one can't live with that, I wanna support my team, not some marketing managers dream...

People are different, I want to support my local team, that's a choice I made, but the majority of friends support the top 4 teams, it was their choice, my point is, the factors I've mentioned only push away fans, not get them in, if were successful, we'd fill the RICOH, I think this is personified best in our JPT tie v Crewe, we could've got 35k (possibly pushing 40k) CCFC fans alone that day.

Trust me, I certainly give as good as I get when my glory supporting friends start about CCFC.

Black6Osprey

But fan support buying tickets will eventually pay off, surely??

We averaged 18 - 20k for several years in the championship and barely made the top half of the league more than twice so your argument is flawed.

You stated Leeds as an example of a club whose supporters stuck with them but they have always been a better supported club than us. They had an average gate of 36 k in the premier and this dropped to 21k after a couple of seasons in the championship. Strangely it went back up to 25k when they dropped in to league one. Even so, no club will keep all its support when they drop down divisions.

Colin1883

But fan support buying tickets will eventually pay off, surely??[/
QUOTE]

You can't force ppl to come and watch a game they need to be enticed back... 6 league wins at home (that's relegation form) . It's not like we're losing to teams like Chelsea/Manu/ pool/arsenal anymore.. It's a chicken and egg thing

Colonel Mustard

Ive said this before , MANY for attendances being lower than they should be for a City in top 10 population wise over the last 40 years.

Add in Kenilworth, Rugby, Leamington, Nuneaton etc. Huge, huge catchment area. It does make you wonder what CCFC's marketing department has been up to over the decades. There should be a big outreach.

Leonard Brody may have been a nutter, but at least he threw ideas out there. We need more of that, no matter how daft. Funfairs at the ground, teaming up with cinemas to throw in free tickets with matchday tickets, karaoke halftime entertainment, more online engagement and free content for fans - anything, really.

Users who are viewing this thread