Apology from head ref (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

this is the interestinjg debate about technology

if they bring in goal line technology, how long before there is a called for reviews on disalowed goals etc

Marty

The main argument for goal line technology is that it allows you to get the decision 100% correct. Last week in the rugby this proved not to be the case, they spent minutes looking over what happened and even then they still couldn't decide. I'm quite happy to keep football the way it is, yeah it's annoying what happens against you, but rarely do these calls crop up.

smileycov

Facebook User
bad example in my opinion! whether or not a ball is over the line can hardly be compared to a ball being grounded by hand or not! Also "but rarely do these calls crop up" wouldn't go down well with Lampard during the world cup, Totenham's goal at old trafford, QPR last week at Bolton or even the fake reading/Watford goal. They have been ready for 2 years to put goal line technology in, about time they did i reckon.

Otis

Yep. All for technology.

How often would you have the England rugby scenario? Hardly ever. The likes of Lampard's goal was so clearly over the line, the same with that goal QPR scored at Bolton. Decision would be made in seconds.

If it's inconclusive you don't give it, but it would stop these injustices for the blatant ones for sure.

Bring it on.

cornoccfc

Goal line tech is clear cut, either the laser beam is crossed or it isn't. (if that is the system they opt for)

Would be against video evidence, except to dish out retrospective punishment (simulating etc.)

kg82

It's Hawkeye and some German company that are bidding for it isn't it. Hawkeye works really well in cricket, video ref works really well in rugby (you're going to get bad examples of anything) - I'm not sure something like this would be used on what happened with us on Saturday though? And as for that, I would also have preferred to not hear anything from the head ref. It doesn't do us any good now at all.

smileycov

Facebook User
Maybe take heart from the fact but for a bad call, we could have won away..............silver lining and all that!

Mary_Mungo_Midge

As I posted on the match thread at the time, I simply couldn't see anything wrong with the goal. These decisions simply have to be properly made, as the potential effect of this error could have seen us only two points away from Bristol City and the away-duck broken.

It's often said these decisions equalise themselves over the course of a season. I very much hope this is the case. A dodgy, match-changing decision in Bristol would do me...

kg82

As I posted on the match thread at the time, I simply couldn't see anything wrong with the goal. These decisions simply have to be properly made, as the potential effect of this error could have seen us only two points away from Bristol City and the away-duck broken.

It's often said these decisions equalise themselves over the course of a season. I very much hope this is the case. A dodgy, match-changing decision in Bristol would do me...

In our favour - thought I'd add that!

Marty

Technology wouldn't have helped us anyway, wouldn't they only be allowed to say what crossed the line and what didn't, not what happened in the build up.

Otis

Goal line tech is clear cut, either the laser beam is crossed or it isn't. (if that is the system they opt for)

Would be against video evidence, except to dish out retrospective punishment (simulating etc.)

What I would like to see is punishments during the game! I'd like to see some official monitoring the game on video and if someone has say won a pen through blatant diving, that after the pen is taken and the evidence has been reviewed that, that player receives a yellow or even a red card. Same if someone has elbowed a player, that a yellow or red card can be issued with the game still in play and the incident occurring some minutes previous.

Think you could cut out so much if players know they are being watched. Yep, they are being watched at the moment anyway, but punishments always seem to be retrospective and after the game. Wouldn't it be great to have a player pulled up for cheating during the game when not spotted by the officials.

skybluegod

I'm half and half for goal line tech as although it would help the refs with decision it would take something out of the game sure it could mean a lot to a team but it's part of the game and the commotion .

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Apart from holding up an electric board, and telling on managers when it gets heated and they want then sent to the stand, what exactly does the 4th official currently do? They could probably be utilised a bit better than they already are. Including reviewing dodgy decisions when necessary. Think I've only seen the 4th official get involved once in a decisive decision, and even that was recent when no one expected it (think it was a sending off??)

kg82

Apart from holding up an electric board, and telling on managers when it gets heated and they want then sent to the stand, what exactly does the 4th official currently do? They could probably be utilised a bit better than they already are. Including reviewing dodgy decisions when necessary. Think I've only seen the 4th official get involved once in a decisive decision, and even that was recent when no one expected it (think it was a sending off??)

At the Ricoh? Reckon you're thinking of Mifsud's elbow against the baggies a few seasons ago.

Otis

Yep, even though the ref denied it, it was quite clear that the word came from the 4th official to send the player off.

Paxman II

Of course we MUST have goal line technology. This is not the dark ages relying on man's eagle eye. Same could be said when we invented radar and then old Gerry was pretty much defeated...
Man is fallible, technology is not - just like the camera never lies.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
At the Ricoh? Reckon you're thinking of Mifsud's elbow against the baggies a few seasons ago.

Think there was a more recent one, but this one was farsical where Dowd ran half the length of the pitch, only to issue a red, then say he never had any doubts about it being red! Yh right. Someone talking in his ear definately made that decision for him!

Users who are viewing this thread