Anyone Slightly Nervous- Stokes/Tudgay (1 Viewer)

Pusb1

so, not a dig at Mowbray, but is anyone slightly concerned that we're planning on keeping these two players on next season?

I feel we all have very short term memories- and for the majority of last season, Tudgay was woeful, and think we should be looking for better than persisting with more of his predominantly abject /lazy/ ineffective displays from last season...

Stokes was signed from Forest Green, and at times looked out of his depth last season. In the Cov Telegraph today, Mowbray suggests it is a battle between Haynes/Stokes, for left back next season. If i'm honest, i don't believe either of these are at the level we need to get out of this division.

Thoughts?

Paddy9239

Think Tudguy earned a new contract given his performances under Mowbray. Real calming presence playing just behind the striker.

Stokes/Haynes slightly worrying, think Haynes could bounce back at some point though. And Stokes is pretty solid defensively - think you could alternate them based on the game in, Haynes the attacker, Stokes when we need to keep it tight away.

Esoterica

They are both players that I would be willing to give 2nd chances to. Stokes because I believe he will look a better player with a proper pre-season under his belt and Tudgay because he played in a piss poor Pressley team with no midfield behind him

Sky Blue Pete

They are both players that I would be willing to give 2nd chances to. Stokes because I believe he will look a better player with a proper pre-season under his belt and Tudgay because he played in a piss poor Pressley team with no midfield behind him
Absolutely agree

ajsccfc

Tudgay started pretty awful but turned it around eventually, so I'm happy for him to still be around. Stokes showed promise while being a little way off the finished article, but the promise was enough. I'm trusting Mowbray on both.

SkyBlueSid

Stokes is a non-league player and looked like it at times. If we are planning to use players of that standard it is very worrying. I suppose it is possible that previous league clubs who rejected him were wrong and failed to spot a late developer. If we are to mount any sort of challenge in this league I feel we need better.

Tudgay is 32 now and he is unlikely to improve. He may be ok as a squad player for another season to provide experience, depending on who else we sign. On the other hand, if you read Tudgay's wiki page, you do wonder why he isn't in the England squad!

LJC_CCFC

Tudgay deserves the extension after his performances in the back end of the season. Yes he's getting on a bit now but having an expereinced centre forward in reserve is nothing to be sniffed at. As for Stokes, I feel with a full - and vitally more professional - pre-season under his belt, he'll be fitter and therefore a more effective player. He has the technical ability to play at this level, whether that be as a starter or squad player.

covcity4life

tudgay could be our kevin phillips!!!!!!!!!!

maybe not a master poacher but an experienced striker who revels in lower league swansong

simonregis

Stokes is a non-league player and looked like it at times. If we are planning to use players of that standard it is very worrying. I suppose it is possible that previous league clubs who rejected him were wrong and failed to spot a late developer. If we are to mount any sort of challenge in this league I feel we need better.

Tudgay is 32 now and he is unlikely to improve. He may be ok as a squad player for another season to provide experience, depending on who else we sign. On the other hand, if you read Tudgay's wiki page, you do wonder why he isn't in the England squad!

This is not a dig at you Sid, but why do people constantly use this expression, 'He plays like a non-league player'? Do the mean it as a slur? Is it a way to describe their ability? Stan Colimore describe Rooney as being worse than anon-league player, what does he mean? There are many good people in non-league football and the standard are very high, in fact I believe there were two or three players in the national team who had experience of playing in the non-league.

ajsccfc

Did they get capped while at a non-league club or after moving up the league system? Describing someone as a 'non-league player' isn't a jab at everyone that's ever played non-league in their life.

Grendel

This is not a dig at you Sid, but why do people constantly use this expression, 'He plays like a non-league player'? Do the mean it as a slur? Is it a way to describe their ability? Stan Colimore describe Rooney as being worse than anon-league player, what does he mean? There are many good people in non-league football and the standard are very high, in fact I believe there were two or three players in the national team who had experience of playing in the non-league.

Stokes has the albatross round his neck that he replaced the fans favourite Haynes and the fact he plays for Forest Green Rovers.

The reality that Haynes had a dire season goes un-noticed. The, "he is a non league player" by posters like Sid is tiresome. No doubt Simeon Jackson is a Premier League player for the same reasoning and we should have kept him.

shy_tall_knight

Stokes I just don't rate defensively but can add a bit at attacking set pieces. His performance at home to Doncaster alongside Aaron Martin were awful. I've reposted the Doncaster reviews as a reminder.

Grendel

Stokes I just don't rate defensively but can add a bit at attacking set pieces. His performance at home to Doncaster alongside Aaron Martin were awful. I've reposted the Doncaster reviews as a reminder.

I assume you were chuffed as nuts when the club finally fucked off Carl Baker?

Bob Latchford

so, not a dig at Mowbray, but is anyone slightly concerned that we're planning on keeping these two players on next season?

I feel we all have very short term memories- and for the majority of last season, Tudgay was woeful, and think we should be looking for better than persisting with more of his predominantly abject /lazy/ ineffective displays from last season...

Stokes was signed from Forest Green, and at times looked out of his depth last season. In the Cov Telegraph today, Mowbray suggests it is a battle between Haynes/Stokes, for left back next season. If i'm honest, i don't believe either of these are at the level we need to get out of this division.

Thoughts?

I make you correct on this. however, it shows the ambition of the owners [Once Again] I do expect Tudgay to perform better under Mowbray's tenure.

shy_tall_knight

I assume you were chuffed as nuts when the club finally fucked off Carl Baker?

Don't quite get this, Baker performed well in the third division which is a lot lower quality than the championship. Stokes has stepped up 2 leagues and it showed at times always prepared to give a player the benefit of doubt but he is 24 not 20 and has been non-league because that's his level or was it our well renowned scouting system that identified this talent.

Grendel

Don't quite get this, Baker performed well in the third division which is a lot lower quality than the championship. Stokes has stepped up 2 leagues and it showed at times always prepared to give a player the benefit of doubt but he is 24 not 20 and has been non-league because that's his level or was it our well renowned scouting system that identified this talent.

You are basing your assessment on one game. Shall I show you the ratings of Saint Carl for one game?

Oh and please explain how saint Carl was 25 before playing his first league game.....,

mark82

Stokes didn't look out his depth in the few games I saw him:- Sheffield United away, Barnsley away and a home game (I forget which). Deserves a chance.

Macca

I think we probably need to chill out and accept we have an experienced and wily manager. He took his time to sign so I reckon he has a plan of action

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I wouldn't say im worried about these two staying on. Out of the pot of players who were due to leave (loan / contract expiry), these would have been the two I would have offered new terms to.

Tudgay changed our team and was a noticeable absentee when he wasn't available.

Stokes is worth a shot. Shown some promise during his short spell, and considering he came from non-league without a proper pre season, he showed glimpses of what he was capable of.

Work on his fitness, and improve his defending, and I think he will be a decent acquisition.

Under Mowbray I think he will play less with wing backs, leaving Stokes to defend and not have to multi task too much.

shy_tall_knight

I am not basing his performance just on the doncaster debacle because so many were poor that day but against colchester nippy winger got past him a few times with ease with suggests to me not only he lacks pace but his defeding technique is suspect, the positives given by many on here is how good he is going forward. Hope I'm wrong but we have had so many poor defenders Webster is gone, Martin is an accident waiting to happen, Jordan Clarke won't be missed, Willis i'm not convinced, the jury is still out on Ryan and aaron Philipps from great initial starts they both now look weak. Pennington streets ahead of any of them but unfortunately not ours.

Grendel

I am not basing his performance just on the doncaster debacle because so many were poor that day but against colchester nippy winger got past him a few times with ease with suggests to me not only he lacks pace but his defeding technique is suspect, the positives given by many on here is how good he is going forward. Hope I'm wrong but we have had so many poor defenders Webster is gone, Martin is an accident waiting to happen, Jordan Clarke won't be missed, Willis i'm not convinced, the jury is still out on Ryan and aaron Philipps from great initial starts they both now look weak. Pennington streets ahead of any of them but unfortunately not ours.

Better defender by a country mile than Haynes isn't he? Can you name one game all season any defensive attributes came through?

Stokes is infinitely superiori defensively - isn't he?

shy_tall_knight

Pennington is a clearly superior player, Haynes unsure as to his best position wing back or wide left did struggle as a left back but regardless of how bad Haynes is, still not convinced by Stokes. "Infinitely superiori" - an Italian exaggeration !!!! I'd have Blair adams back in a shot and I thought he was at best average.

Grendel

Pennington is a clearly superior player, Haynes unsure as to his best position wing back or wide left did struggle as a left back but regardless of how bad Haynes is, still not convinced by Stokes. "Infinitely superiori" - an Italian exaggeration !!!! I'd have Blair adams back in a shot and I thought he was at best average.

What happened to the team Blair Adams was in last season?

skybluedan

Thoughts?

agree mate but have liked tudgay and am still hopeful he will flourish under mog

standupforcity

Stokes is solid with lots of potential, Tudgay has masses of experience and looked good on the rare occasions he had the right people round him. Sound signings by a manager who knows exactly what he's doing!

Astute

We need cover for all positions. TM hasn't got the money to get a player considered to be good enough for the 1st team by most in every position just to be a squad player. Stokes is good enough to do this and good enough to play when needed. He also has the chance to get better with experience. And with TM in charge maybe this will happen.

So some are worried because he came from a non league club. Some are worried because he wasn't our best defender each game. How many of our defenders were any good for most of the season? I look forward to watching us this season where we are more organised instead of just trying to play keepball. This put serious pressure on our defence whenever we lost the ball. TM must have seen enough in Stokes to want to keep him.

We saw enough in Tudgay under TM to know he is better than we saw under SP. He gives 100% effort. He wants to play for us. I easily prefer this to having a player that doesn't give a shite and doesn't give as much effort as he should. And it could be a fun season if TM brings on a striker to complement his style of play. And if we can keep Reda I would consider it to be a decent start towards getting a squad together on the financial constraints that TM and just about every other club in our division find themselves in.

Terry Gibson's perm

The worry I have about Stokes is that he is the first choice out of a fairly poor two and I think they will need to get Clapham working with him a lot, Tudgay is a steady pro and hopefully a good influence around the younger players.

Astute

The worry I have about Stokes is that he is the first choice out of a fairly poor two and I think they will need to get Clapham working with him a lot, Tudgay is a steady pro and hopefully a good influence around the younger players.

How do you know he is 1st choice though? Tm hasn't even started signing players that were not at our club last season yet. He could be with us for adequate cover to start with.

Terry Gibson's perm

How do you know he is 1st choice though? Tm hasn't even started signing players that were not at our club last season yet. He could be with us for adequate cover to start with.

Probably should have have put likely to be first choice in there, I believe this because stokes is ahead of Haynes at the moment which shows how poor Haynes is

we are unlikely to have 3 left backs.

Astute

Probably should have have put likely to be first choice in there, I believe this because stokes is ahead of Haynes at the moment which shows how poor Haynes is

we are unlikely to have 3 left backs.

TM could be working with Haynes to play in another position. Players move on as they get older. Maybe he has ideas for Stokes. We won't know until the season starts.

Terry Gibson's perm

TM could be working with Haynes to play in another position. Players move on as they get older. Maybe he has ideas for Stokes. We won't know until the season starts.

We we can only guess at the moment but will see in a few weeks.

sw88

Chief Commentator!

He is getting a lot of airtime in CET / official site articles, so you would assume he's still in favour despite not appearing much under Mowbray last season.

Users who are viewing this thread