Anyone remember the Spion Kop / HR (1 Viewer)

Gaz71

Here's a picture in more recent years of the Kop
73666707d027fd875402ba98250b31d4.jpg

Wheelfass

The Crows nest was constructed in 1948 and this is where I watched all of the games from my childhood in the early 1960's. The first tempory floodlights were installed in 1953 and were later sold to Crew. The floodlights as H/Roaders like me would remember were in use from 28th November 1957 from a friendly home game against Third Lanark. They were in use until the 1990's
The Crows nest post brings back memories from when us kids were sent underneath the open wooden terracing to put out the fires that the discarded cigarettes and matches had started.
Underneath the Crows Nest was a wonderland for us kids as we would often find the occasional dropped programme or even sometimes a 2 and 6 (half a crown) or 12 and a half pence to you younger ones.

Last edited:

Brylowes

Here's a picture in more recent years of the Kop
73666707d027fd875402ba98250b31d4.jpg
Another great photo.
I can't remember the the sloping white wall half way up the kop, as in this picture,However I do
remember the front wall sloping down from the SBS to the main stand.

Paxman II

Think the first picture there is around 1948/52
Use to stand up the cop and get lifted off my feet and move down several rows the crowds were so big back in the mid 60's and into the first 10 years of the first division.
At half time they would open the gates and you would get in for free.

NortonSkyBlue

The scoreboard was a gift from the Coventry Evening Telegraph. It was strange that you had so few turnstiles at the top of Swan Lane for the Kop which led you into a mud and concrete mound which the crows nest was perched upon.
I watched the first couple of seasons in Division 1 and from all parts of the Kop, I loved standing behind the goal when the opposition keeper came out and seeing all the great goalies of the time like Banks, Bonetti and Jennings and I remember the ovation George Hudson got on his return with Tranmere in the cup in 68 and standing on the crows nest to see the friendly against Hibs and seeing Billy Graham( the preacher, not the striker Bobby Graham) at HR, however my strongest recollection is losing my shoe, going wild, when we scored to we beat Leicester 1-0 to stay up in 69 as they scored a perfectly good goal which was chalked off and we went up the other end and Neil Martin scored. In the 89th minute.
I find it reassuring that when Stuart Beavon scored against Bolton a few weeks ago I felt that same emotion as I did as a 9 year old in 69. Coventry City will never die for this man.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember the old "alphabet score cards"........
0sgoA.jpg (This isn't Highfield Road, btw!)

There were 26 boxes marked with a letter of the alphabet. Below each individual letter was a door that opened and had the facility for two cards to be inserted, one in the top half, and one in the bottom half. In the match programme on the back page would be the day’s football fixture and each game would have a letter of the Alphabet adjoining it. These letters would be matched to the letters on the scoreboard and at half time, when the doors of the boxes on the scoreboard were opened and the cards inserted, the top number would show the home team’s score and the bottom number would show the away team’s score. At full time, the process would be repeated and fans would know the results of most matches that were played that day.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think I can remember anything other than it being all seater :(

Do remember the strange corporate boxes next to the West Terrace though!

Brylowes

I don't think I can remember anything other than it being all seater :(

Do remember the strange corporate boxes next to the West Terrace though!
Oooh Young Man !!!
Think we purchased that block of exec boxes from Twickenham.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Actually back in the 70's I think it was, there were plans to develop the spion Kop and build a massive new stand over Swan Lane,
With the road going underneath the the stand. Which would have increased the capacity of Highfield road massively
And then no need to build the Ricoh. !!! If only.

The plan was to build a stand which held up to 28,000 - 18,000 standing and 10,000 seats. Eventually the ground would hold over 65,000.

Brylowes

The plan was to build a stand which held up to 28,000 - 18,000 standing and 10,000 seats. Eventually the ground would hold over 65,000.
That seems unbelievably big, the Holte End was the largest open (kop) terrace in the
Country with just over 30.000 but all standing, kop at Anfield, kop at Hillsboro and the
Southbank at Wolves not far behind, none of those contained seats.
Have you any link to this. Cheers

Alan Dugdales Moustache

That seems unbelievably big, the Holte End was the largest open (kop) terrace in the
Country with just over 30.000 but all standing, kop at Anfield, kop at Hillsboro and the
Southbank at Wolves not far behind, none of those contained seats.
Have you any link to this. Cheers
Jim Brown's book "Ghosts of a vanished stadium " mentions it. The telegraph reported in 1970 that chairman Derek Robbins announced plans were at an "advanced stage" for the development. We were to become the "Real Madrid of England" ........as has proved to be . :happy:

Brylowes

Jim Brown's book "Ghosts of a vanished stadium " mentions it. The telegraph reported in 1970 that chairman Derek Robbins announced plans were at an "advanced stage" for the development. We were to become the "Real Madrid of England" ........as has proved to be . :happy:
Jees! That would have been massive, the kop at anfield has 12000 seats, so it would be that
Plus maybe 14000 standing, they would have had to demolish Swan lane.

Wheelfass

Yeah that's the ones, I'm sure we got them from Twickenham, before that there was a row
Of boxes at the front of the main stand, just wandering if they replaced them.
I sat in the box's at the bottom of the main stand on several occasions......terrible view. Weren't they replaced with a new corporate area that was built at the back of the main stand when the roof was modified. Time has taken its toll i'm afraid. Could be the "pre- fab" exec boxes may just have been an extra income source?

Bob Latchford

Think the first picture there is around 1948/52
Use to stand up the cop and get lifted off my feet and move down several rows the crowds were so big back in the mid 60's and into the first 10 years of the first division.
At half time they would open the gates and you would get in for free.

That's what got me going to CCFC. was aged about 9 - gates open about 15 minutes from the end, I'd dash in to the Kop , soak up the atmosphere. wonderful days .

tisza

Underneath the Crows Nest was a wonderland for us kids as we would often find the occasional dropped programme or even sometimes a 2 and 6 (half a crown) or 12 and a half pence to you younger ones.
i remember going down to look for coins during half-times :)

shy_tall_knight

First game was at the cop 76/77 season v Spurs will always remember the greeness of the pitch and Wallace's bright orange hair. Went a few weeks later when Villa had almost all the cop after winning the league cup the week before. There were some urinals, uncovered corrugated iron for walls concrete troughs at floor level to aim for - pretty basic, saw most of my games in the kop, convenient as could get to stand next to your mates seats required organisation and plan

Bob Latchford

wingy

Wasn't there also some sort of scoreboard between what would be the West terrace and Skyblue stand at some point?

Users who are viewing this thread