Anyone park in Tesco's ? (1 Viewer)

Gaz71

Do the anpr camera's work now? They had signs saying £100 fine if you were in the car park for more than 2 hours?

letsallsingtogether

Well it didn't put many off unless the shoppers were all leaving at the same time after the match.

eastwoodsdustman

Check Martin Lewis money matters for these car-parks "charges".........they are not enforceable

They never used to be enforced but I have a feeling that one of the parking companies had a hearing go in their favour so things may have changed on that score.

PVA

Check Martin Lewis money matters for these car-parks "charges".........they are not enforceable

They were previously not enforceable. I have had two, one I fought (before I knew they couldn't enforce it) and one I completely ignored.

I believe things have now changed and would not recommend risking it personally.

wellerfan

Do the anpr camera's work now? They had signs saying £100 fine if you were in the car park for more than 2 hours?
The parking outfit there yesterday would not be able to enforce any fine or penalty.
Private companies cannot fine or penalise anyone,they can only issue a parking charge.
The sign at the barriers said penalty of £100. This means that they would almost certainly lose in court.
They must also have a contract with the landowners to control parking on the site, this often happens to not be the case.
Although it used to be safe to ignore ppc's, since parking eye v beavis it is better to answer any claim from them.
The parking prankster and pepipoo are two very good sites to visit, and give good advice and help to make sure you come out on top of any threats you may receive.

Grendel

The parking outfit there yesterday would not be able to enforce any fine or penalty.
Private companies cannot fine or penalise anyone,they can only issue a parking charge.
The sign at the barriers said penalty of £100. This means that they would almost certainly lose in court.
They must also have a contract with the landowners to control parking on the site, this often happens to not be the case.
Although it used to be safe to ignore ppc's, since parking eye v beavis it is better to answer any claim from them.
The parking prankster and pepipoo are two very good sites to visit, and give good advice and help to make sure you come out on top of any threats you may receive.

Again I'd be very cautious. The law clearly is on the side of the private parking company. If you enter an area with terms and conditions there is an implication that you have agreed to a non verbal contract with these organisations.

Although court actions are rare if you are the one made an example of you are on dangerous territory. You will probably at this point be advised to concede and avoid court costs from the applicant. This will have implications in credit terms. Most credit companies who rate individuals will not be unfavourable but there are consequences. One would I assure you be you will never get a credit agreement again with a mobile phone provider and most internet providers. It's well and good offering bravado advice but if you are an individual whose getting court letters through their doorstep the advice is shockingly ill advised.

Don't park there until we know more.

Grendel

not in this place. They have and will continue to dominate proceedings

I'm actually trying to raise a serious point. Your predictable posting is in this case not only dull but could mean people are glib to a genuine issue. Find another thread to post your dull repetitive drivel please.

Gaz

Just pay the £184 to park at the Ricoh for the season
It's a right bargain .....

wellerfan

Again I'd be very cautious. The law clearly is on the side of the private parking company. If you enter an area with terms and conditions there is an implication that you have agreed to a non verbal contract with these organisations.

Although court actions are rare if you are the one made an example of you are on dangerous territory. You will probably at this point be advised to concede and avoid court costs from the applicant. This will have implications in credit terms. Most credit companies who rate individuals will not be unfavourable but there are consequences. One would I assure you be you will never get a credit agreement again with a mobile phone provider and most internet providers. It's well and good offering bravado advice but if you are an individual whose getting court letters through their doorstep the advice is shockingly ill advised.

Don't park there until we know more.
it is true that you may be seen as agreeing to a contract on entering the site, but the sign saying penalty charge is not enforceable in law by a private company.
the only way that your credit rating would be affected is if you lose the case and do not pay.
I think most people would concede defeat at that point.
I don't think I was advising anybody to park at the arena . Just trying to make the situation a bit clearer.
Everyone makes their own choice
My own view is that the parking company is not very good if they fall down on the first point of contact with the motorist.

chiefdave

it is true that you may be seen as agreeing to a contract on entering the site
If you're entering a contract because they have some terms written up on a board what happens if you have terms on your windscreen saying you haven't agreed to any contract?

ceetee

Well it scared me off at least until we get some feedback on whether and how they are enforcing it.

Hobo

All you posh bastards with cars.

robbiekeane

I'm actually trying to raise a serious point. Your predictable posting is in this case not only dull but could mean people are glib to a genuine issue. Find another thread to post your dull repetitive drivel please.
Interesting.

I got done outside of FarGo on a rare trip back to coventry in December 2015. Same old story, less than 5 minutes was just accompanying my little sister inside. Didn't actually see any signs but they were there.

A guy was waiting for me and I had the fine on my windscreen. Researched it and decided not to pay it. Didn't hear anything for months but have recently started getting collection letters through my door, and they're asking me to pay £160. Don't think that's a reasonable cost incurred for less than a 5 minute stay. Appreciate they will claim they are adding all the letter fees on this. I am naturally getting a little bit anxious....I think when it get's to a court summons I'll pay the fee....

Gaz71

Is there any truth in buying goods from Tesco on the day cancels out the threat of being fined?

ceetee

It used to be the case that if you spent £ 25 in one of the shops that was OK but they have now changed their conditions to impose a 2 h limit.

Otis

Is there any truth in buying goods from Tesco on the day cancels out the threat of being fined?
Used to be if you spent £25 in the Arena shops, but I am not so sure now if they are saying 2 hours maximum.

That is rather daft, because you can easily spend over 3 hours there if you go for something to eat.

I suspect nothing has really changed as in, yes, they are doing the ANPR, but if you spend £25 or more any fine would be nullified.

The one thing that bugs me is that if it is just number plate recognition and no manning of the 'barriers' on the way out, then loads of people who have simply been shopping for 2-3 hours or more are going to get fines through the post aren't they?

Can see it being a bit of a mess.

chiefdave

Don't think it would technically but if you got on to the management of the centre and complained you got a ticket while you were in there shopping you might get somewhere.

What do they do if someone is genuinely in there shopping for more than 2 hours?

Otis

Don't think it would technically but if you got on to the management of the centre and complained you got a ticket while you were in there shopping you might get somewhere.

What do they do if someone is genuinely in there shopping for more than 2 hours?
See above, Dave.

Manning of the exits means just showing a receipt. Having cameras with no physical presence means loads of shoppers getting fines through the post.

Expect the letters page to the CT to be rammed anytime soon.

Otis

Re Tescos, l asked if this was still the policy and a security guard said no! Took the coach from Kenilworth until I am sure what is actually happening.
If that is true it is crazy.

As I have said, it is very, very easy to spend 3 hrs or more at the Arena shopping centre. Can easily be an hour shopping just in Tesco and then if you have a coffee or go for something to eat you could easily surpass 3 hrs.

We have been a few times just shopping and been well over 3 hours. We usually do Tesco's and my daughter always wants to go into Decathlon and New Look and Next and we always do the pet shop too.

They are going to alienate shoppers if they just start sending penalty notices out willy nilly and of course loads of people don't keep their receipts anyway.

Captain Dart

Used to be if you spent £25 in the Arena shops, but I am not so sure now if they are saying 2 hours maximum.

That is rather daft, because you can easily spend over 3 hours there if you go for something to eat.

I suspect nothing has really changed as in, yes, they are doing the ANPR, but if you spend £25 or more any fine would be nullified.

The one thing that bugs me is that if it is just number plate recognition and no manning of the 'barriers' on the way out, then loads of people who have simply been shopping for 2-3 hours or more are going to get fines through the post aren't they?

Can see it being a bit of a mess.

Already made that point in a previous thread, I think it may have gone over a few heads.
You are fucked and will be fined £100, make sure the Mrs knows and doesn't get caught out!
It looks like there will be a lot of fines to begin and I'm sure the Telegraph will have a nice story on their hands!

Question, is a fine like this enforceable? Whether it is or not, I wouldn't like to take on Tesco by disputing it!

wellerfan

Interesting.

I got done outside of FarGo on a rare trip back to coventry in December 2015. Same old story, less than 5 minutes was just accompanying my little sister inside. Didn't actually see any signs but they were there.

A guy was waiting for me and I had the fine on my windscreen. Researched it and decided not to pay it. Didn't hear anything for months but have recently started getting collection letters through my door, and they're asking me to pay £160. Don't think that's a reasonable cost incurred for less than a 5 minute stay. Appreciate they will claim they are adding all the letter fees on this. I am naturally getting a little bit anxious....I think when it get's to a court summons I'll pay the fee....
these companies try a scattershot approach to parking. If they issue a hundred invoices and only ten people pay up then they are doing well.
People are frightened by letters with bold red writing and words like last chance before action. Another thing is chequered bordering to their letters, to try and make it look like a police letter.
If they were taking you to court it would probably have happened by now.
Posters on here are still calling their invoices fines which may worry people. Private companies cannot fine anyone, it is a parking charge and nothing else!
It is always worth googling the parking company to see other peoples experiences with them.
Once again it is well worth visiting the parking prankster and pepipoo websites where good advice and help is freely available

oucho

Thankfully, with the train station opening, we don't need to drive/ark at the Ricoh any more.........

eastwoodsdustman

Interesting.

I was in this position at the ricoh tescos a few years back. Best advise at the time was to write back telling them to write to the driver without divulging who the driver was or alternatively ignoring it altogether. Eventually they just went away.
The driver is the one agreeing to or entering the contract by parking. They write to you as the registered keeper of the vehicle as they get details from dvla. The driver and keeper may well be different people and you have no obligation to incriminate anyone.

OffenhamSkyBlue

As I said in the previous related thread, the parking charges ARE enforceable, but the law is only on the side of the parking co if they abide by strict wording and other guidelines, and for the most part they do not!
There are also other things you can do, such as asking for a copy of the contract between the parking co and the landowner proving they have the right to act on their behalf in arranging a contract with YOU, and finding out whether they have planning permission to put the warning signs up.

Current advice is NOT simply to ignore these demands, but to deny liability. See sites such as parking prankster and consumer action groups for detailed advice on how to deal with these sharks. They rely on some people coughing up to make their money, or for others to ignore court proceedings and getting default decisions.

Incidentally, if they are relying on ANPR (i.e. not giving you a ticket), they have 14 days to send a notification to the keeper (i.e. you), having got their details from DVLA.

Bruce the Boot

As I said in the previous related thread, the parking charges ARE enforceable, but the law is only on the side of the parking co if they abide by strict wording and other guidelines, and for the most part they do not!
There are also other things you can do, such as asking for a copy of the contract between the parking co and the landowner proving they have the right to act on their behalf in arranging a contract with YOU, and finding out whether they have planning permission to put the warning signs up.

Current advice is NOT simply to ignore these demands, but to deny liability. See sites such as parking prankster and consumer action groups for detailed advice on how to deal with these sharks. They rely on some people coughing up to make their money, or for others to ignore court proceedings and getting default decisions.

Incidentally, if they are relying on ANPR (i.e. not giving you a ticket), they have 14 days to send a notification to the keeper (i.e. you), having got their details from DVLA.

How would you feel if someone parked on your drive and went to the match ? Simple , dont park where you should nt .

robbiekeane

these companies try a scattershot approach to parking. If they issue a hundred invoices and only ten people pay up then they are doing well.
People are frightened by letters with bold red writing and words like last chance before action. Another thing is chequered bordering to their letters, to try and make it look like a police letter.
If they were taking you to court it would probably have happened by now.
Posters on here are still calling their invoices fines which may worry people. Private companies cannot fine anyone, it is a parking charge and nothing else!
It is always worth googling the parking company to see other peoples experiences with them.
Once again it is well worth visiting the parking prankster and pepipoo websites where good advice and help is freely available
Cheers...debating whether to write back or to just keep current strategy of ignore....

Users who are viewing this thread