anyone else struggle doing nightshifts? (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Done them for the last 4 years moneys great but I constantly feel ratty and tired
Even when I swap on to days it takes a few days to get used to them
Love my job though

wingy

Not personally Daz but I think Its proven to be detrimental to health
My brother did a huge stint of them at Puegot and swears it affected his along with his personal life
The worst I've had to do were Ghosters, work your normal day, then through the night and then the next day
Wierd experience where you go through exhaustion yet are euphoric at completing the Job and kind of like you're on something
You can't shut me off when I've gone through that fatigue

Sky_Blue_Daz

Its a strange feeling I understand the euphoria statement
I can come home and collapse into fits of giggles for ages then a few minutes later ve in an awful mood
The worst shift is when you do a run of nights finish on a Sunday morning
then back on a Monday morning

bulko

I did it gor four years 12 hour shifts get off it if you can . I drank grog to sleep once i got back on dsys felt normal again instead of like a zombie ready to take someones hesd off.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Ive kept away from the drinking before bed route
I go for a sauna and jacuzzi before I go home

bulko

Started drinking beer when i got in but kept waking up for a slash so had shorts instead blackout curtains earplugs every inch of light was blacked out but still felt like shit all the time got a doctors note to get me off it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I reckon throughout my working life (now retired), I've done about 12 years on & off night shifts, 3.00am starts, 4.30 am starts, and 24 hour call-outs. All different jobs, but I hate routine! ;)

jimmyhillsfanclub

I did about 7 months of 12 hour shifts....mainly nights....as a security guard in London in the 90's.....

I was young enough to cope with it....could also get away with a sneaky snooze on some sites.....saved myself enough cash to buy my first ever flight.....one way to Greece.....and then spent about 4 months partying & hitch-hiking around Europe.

ratovan2

Work a 5 week shift pattern two of which are nights ,one 2 - 10 and the other two day related, just get back to normal and the whole shit starts again.
Trapped by the money though.

bulko

Dont think you ever get used to it just cope with it. Id hate to have to do it ever again abd when ive vumped into mates that are on nights they look ghastly real pale night shift face.

Marty

I was doing nights for a while. I was exhausted but wouldn't be able to sleep. I would be lucky to get 10 hours of sleep a week. Doing shift work is meant to knock about 10 years off your life.

Astute

I love the shifts I work. I do 2 days 2 nights then 4 off 12 hours. We do 7 lots of this then get 18 days off. So our first shift is always on a Monday when we go back. It moves along a day until our last set that starts on a Sunday. The biggest problem I have is it takes up most Saturdays :( The first one back finishes Friday morning. OK for going to the game. But the second week I finish Saturday morning. I am not free then until the 7th week where I start Sunday morning although it means I have to go to the game and then come home. And after them I get 18 days off.

I have been working shifts for over 20 years now. The money is good as mentioned earlier and the time off even better. but it can have a big effect if you allow it to. We can go onto days if needed. But the shift allowance stops most from doing it. If they ask us to go on days we keep it for as long as they want us on days. But if we ask to go onto days we lose our shift allowance. This is just over 14k and upwards depending on what level you are at. It is enough to keep a lot of those that don't like shifts on them.

I am staying on shifts. I only have 12 years, 10 months and 3 weeks at the most before I retire and take it easy :p

Terry Gibson's perm

Just struggle working, don't really have time for it between this site and the family. Still only got about 35 years left unless they put it up to about 80 by the time it is my turn.

Astute

Just struggle working, don't really have time for it between this site and the family. Still only got about 35 years left unless they put it up to about 80 by the time it is my turn.

Going early myself. Shifts take it out of you. And was lucky to get into the final salary scheme at work before they stopped new starters joining it. Planning to go when my youngest two are 18 and 19. No chance before then. They would do my head in.

A lot of the time I am on here is when I am at work. Sometimes I am too busy. sometimes I am in an area where I can't get a reception. But otherwise I am on here a lot of the time.

hill83

I do shifts too. 14, 12 hour shifts a month. 7 days, 7 nights.
I get a week off once a month. Nights are a killer as I struggle to sleep in the day, but the shift allowance is spot on.
Plus I work in IT so there's plenty of time to get on here when I'm at work.

hill83

Night shifts are the reason I'm the champion on the skybluestalk arcade

Terry Gibson's perm

Going early myself. Shifts take it out of you. And was lucky to get into the final salary scheme at work before they stopped new starters joining it. Planning to go when my youngest two are 18 and 19. No chance before then. They would do my head in.

A lot of the time I am on here is when I am at work. Sometimes I am too busy. sometimes I am in an area where I can't get a reception. But otherwise I am on here a lot of the time.

I have a private pension so no chance of going early without a lottery win, mortgaged for the next 25 years until 65 as well, plus 3 kids under 9 apart from that all is rosey

Terry Gibson's perm

I've resigned myself to 70/75... assuming I keep a job that long!

And Grendel wouldn't give me his PA job, so little hope of saving cash.

I think it starts at 60 but only pays £1200 per year, I have a works one which pays £10 per year as well. Wife has a final salary one so need to stop married:facepalm:

Johnnythespider

This is one thing I don't get in this country, governments and bankers feck things up and they turn round and tell people they have to work extra years before getting a pension, and what do we as a nation do, oh OK then, anywhere else in the world there would be riots.

NorthernWisdom

I think it starts at 60 but only pays £1200 per year, I have a works one which pays £10 per year as well. Wife has a final salary one so need to stop married:facepalm:

I was stupid a while back and cashed in my final salary one - needed the money, read their blurb when they wanted me to, didn't read the consequences.

Comes to something when my hope for a half decent retirement is parying my parents don't need nursing care, so at least I can inherit their house!

Users who are viewing this thread