Anyone else losing confidence in Thorn? (1 Viewer)

Some of his decisions baffled me last night. He seems to have no backup plan when his diamond formation not working. Why sub Bigi at 40 mins? Why not wait till half time?
2nd half we reverted to the hoofroyd days. Is this plan if it goes wrong?

Is playing Keogh and Craine out of position going to backfire? Cameron looked much more solid when he came on.

I know one game dont make a season but on that performance last night when our backs are aginst the wall he dont seem to know tatcially wise what to do.

Sky Blue Sheepy

No doubt he made some glaring erros last night. Unfortunately he's new to management and is going to make mistakes. The fact remains we still created chances and once again spurned all of them. Defensively he needed to change things last night but I'd rather he made the mistake once and learned from it - it's the only way to improve.

kg82

Seriously? Losing confidence? Look, if it's not working, why wait? Bigi wasn't getting any joy. Both Keogh and Cranie say their best position is CB, so how are they playing out of position. Sometimes the other team are just better. And they've been good so far this season.

Kajer

Last night was shocking and alot of it was down to Thorns tactics. It was clear after about 15 mins that the midfield was being totally overwhelmed, we where letting Bullard have far too much time on the ball and he plated that quaterback role superbly. The main difference between the teams was that in possession we let them knock it about in there own half and move us where as they did not give us a second even Chopra and Scotland closed down our fullbacks when they had the ball and made them play it. I was sat next to a Burnley scout who claimed it to be the most unorganised diamond he had ever seen. I hope it's a lesson learnt for thorn otherwise it's going to be a long season ahead

skyblue4ever

Losing confidence? ....No way! He saw it wasn't working and tried to do something about it! I would like to see Wood come back in & i always prefered Keogh on the right, though he was very good going forward,..just my opinion!

Thorny Subject

Bigi is completely lost in the right of the diamond role, through no fault of his own. The glaringly obvious thing after 15 minutes last night would have been to revert to traditional 442 with bgi and clingan in the middle and bell and baker right and left. You cant expect to match up a midfield including bowyer, andrews and bullard with just one central midfielder.

If we create that many chances every time he gets it wrong then we wont be too far away.

It would seem we are still a good striker away from a win. Last night was awful but it seemed more like the boys were tired than down to Thorn.

Bigi is 17, he should have waited till half time. Not 3 mins before, that wont do his confidfence any good especially on tv aswell.
Look at AT record so far for us, he started brightly and ended averagely. This year we have been unlucky but overall it reads. 19 points from a possible 51. That is yet again relegation form.

He is a nice guy but that don’t make a good manager. Last night was his biggest defeat as our manager so be interesting to see what comeback he has and what he does to freshen the side for Saturday.

Let’s just hope he learns from his mistakes.

KG i personally feel Cameron and wood are more solid at the back then Craine and Keogh. Obviously the players are not publicly going to disagree with the manager especially the captain. Craine showed last night up against a decent striker he’s not good enough.

ccfcway

Last night was shocking and alot of it was down to Thorns tactics. It was clear after about 15 mins that the midfield was being totally overwhelmed, we where letting Bullard have far too much time on the ball and he plated that quaterback role superbly. The main difference between the teams was that in possession we let them knock it about in there own half and move us where as they did not give us a second even Chopra and Scotland closed down our fullbacks when they had the ball and made them play it. I was sat next to a Burnley scout who claimed it to be the most unorganised diamond he had ever seen. I hope it's a lesson learnt for thorn otherwise it's going to be a long season ahead

LOL, it wasnt that unorganised when we drew with them at Turf Moor and their fans were moasing though was it !!

Bigi is completely lost in the right of the diamond role, through no fault of his own. The glaringly obvious thing after 15 minutes last night would have been to revert to traditional 442 with bgi and clingan in the middle and bell and baker right and left. You cant expect to match up a midfield including bowyer, andrews and bullard with just one central midfielder.

If we create that many chances every time he gets it wrong then we wont be too far away.

People are forgetting we played an Ipswich with the worst defence record in the league of course we were going to get chances.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Let be honest the Ipswich performance was the best attacking opposition performance I have seen against us this season. They have one of the best squads in the league imo, there midfield totally dominated ours and we were awful.
Yes we created a few chances but that was more down to poor defending from Ipswich than great forward play from us.
I think we need a lot of changes for Saturday, we have no quality on the ball apart from Clingan.

Otis

Not so sure I had faith with him in the first place.

Have totally backed him and I like the football we play, but the bottom line is he is pretty untried as a football manager. He was a scout bumped up to the position because needs must.

It's a learning curve for the bloke and it's going to take him time before he can prove himself to be a decent manager.

He's here, can't see he is going to be sacked and we should just keep on backing him to the hilt. It's a tough old job for anyone let alone a novice like Andy Thorn. He's making mistakes of course, but did we really expect anything else?

Pigeon

I thought Gael picked up a knock? Even if not he wasn't getting into the game. Cyrus was shattered, he is still young and was getting the run around by prem class men. Cody McDonald is also still trying to get match fit. I also would like to point out that we really don't have any depth within our squad, if there really anyone of the bench that could have changed that game? Thorn is doing the best with what he has.

Covstu

I dont get this, i actually applaude Thorn for having the balls to make a change so quickly when he seen it going wrong. Yes it would not have been the same sub that i would have made but hey i am not the manager. So many years we have all complained that our managers did not make subs in a timely manner so i congratulate Andy for doing so, sadly what ever sub he made last night would not have influenced that result.

skybluesteve76

I agree that we have better centre backs at the club than Craine and Keogh! Keogh is defo a right back, Christie needs a rest. I'm behind thorn, but he does seem to run out of ideas.

kg82

I agree that we have better centre backs at the club than Craine and Keogh! Keogh is defo a right back, Christie needs a rest. I'm behind thorn, but he does seem to run out of ideas.

Apart from they've both been really good at CB up until last night!

I dont get this, i actually applaude Thorn for having the balls to make a change so quickly when he seen it going wrong. Yes it would not have been the same sub that i would have made but hey i am not the manager. So many years we have all complained that our managers did not make subs in a timely manner so i congratulate Andy for doing so, sadly what ever sub he made last night would not have influenced that result.

Dont you think he could have waited till half time? If he was injured then fair enough

Otis

Apart from they've both been really good at CB up until last night!

Disagree to an extent, especially in regards to Keogh. For me Keogh isn't a centre back and Cranie lacks the height. Both players lack the strength. I really like Cameron because he is big and strong and a no nonsense type who won't get bullied in the box.

torchomatic

Nope, not me.

smileycov

Facebook User
Dont you think he could have waited till half time? If he was injured then fair enough

Why? gary Mc was on the side for almost 5 mins before he got on, Cody almost scored from the corner he won...that may have changed the game! Last night had nothing to do with AT tactics unless he trains them to pass the ball to the opposistion instead of them selves, and to allow any attacker all the time they need to shoot!! we were just dreadfull, however, we have been half decent so far this season. Give the youngstyers a rest if (and a big if) we have older lads fit to play....he is doing all he can with a very thin and extremly young squad.

I think i am losing faith in our support rather than in AT!!

Sky Blue Sheepy

Why? gary Mc was on the side for almost 5 mins before he got on, Cody almost scored from the corner he won...that may have changed the game! Last night had nothing to do with AT tactics unless he trains them to pass the ball to the opposistion instead of them selves, and to allow any attacker all the time they need to shoot!! we were just dreadfull, however, we have been half decent so far this season. Give the youngstyers a rest if (and a big if) we have older lads fit to play....he is doing all he can with a very thin and extremly young squad.

I think i am losing faith in our support rather than in AT!!
Can't agree with all of that. Thorn chooses the formation and how they're going to play the game. It should have been his choice for the players to play the style of passing they did (i.e. long balls) and it should be down to him to decide that the full backs should stand off their midfielders as they did. In his defence though, we could have scored 3 ourselves had a bit of luck gone our way and no manager can factor in a player having an off game.

kg82

Disagree to an extent, especially in regards to Keogh. For me Keogh isn't a centre back and Cranie lacks the height. Both players lack the strength. I really like Cameron because he is big and strong and a no nonsense type who won't get bullied in the box.

Yeah, they were being bullied last night, especially in the first half but I don't think they lack strength. First half last night nobody really showed up, third goal was a lack of concentration and it's silly mistakes like that we need to cut out. I would say Cameron is more prone to silly mistakes like that. I'm actually expecting him to be in next game though, it became more obvious as the game went on that Christie needs a rest.

Otis

Could therefore move Keogh to right back and slot Cameron in.

by the way, where's Wood, McPake and Clarke? :eek:

stupot07

Cameron's problem last season was that he had a tendency to let the ball bounce and was getting into trouble. Hopefully has learned from that.

The other issue is to play passing football your centre backs need to be comfortable on the ball, keogh and cranie are both comfortable on the ball. But I do agree that it shouldn't come at a price of defending first. The problem is that both McPake and wood are injured or out of favour, and Cameron is another kid.

kg82

Could therefore move Keogh to right back and slot Cameron in.

by the way, where's Wood, McPake and Clarke? :eek:

I was thinking the same about Wood and McPake yesterday (I'm pretty sure Clarke's injured). I really don't know? McPake was on the bench in the first few games wasn't he?

Platt_The_Donkey

AT has my full backing, but needs a Plan B as the Diamond doesn't always work as it showed last night. As soon as I'd seen their line-up I was worried. A more solid 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 would have been a better option.

smileycov

Facebook User
Can't agree with all of that. Thorn chooses the formation and how they're going to play the game. It should have been his choice for the players to play the style of passing they did (i.e. long balls) and it should be down to him to decide that the full backs should stand off their midfielders as they did. In his defence though, we could have scored 3 ourselves had a bit of luck gone our way and no manager can factor in a player having an off game.
not sure thats how i saw it, they couldn't even manage short passes in the first half, and look at chopra no tackles!! i personally will put it down to just a bad day at the Office and pray that Sat they come out fighting and play better, beacuse if we lose i can see a nasty slide occuring that will be difficault to halt!!

Ashdown

I am completely behind AT, the bloke is dropped in the deep end by our illustrious owners and the truth is they would love the heat being switched off their pulling the plug on investment to be put on a rooky manager, I can just see them running with him till March and sacking him in a blaze of infamy and finger pointing as we slip out of the Championship. Generally he is doing a good job, of course he will make mistakes but lets be realistic.............Bullard, Chopra, Scotland, Andrews, Bowyer etc etc against Bigi, Christy, Bell, Baker, Hussey..........it was always going to be an uphill battle away from home.
PUSB
Fuck off SISU !!

Users who are viewing this thread