Any vegans ? (1 Viewer)

robbiekeane

Haven’t decided to go vegan or veggie but a few changes have been on my mind recently. The first I am going to try is swapping skimmed milk for almond milk in my Huel morning and lunchtime shakes. Heading out in a bit to buy it, no idea what to expect taste wise?!?
Interesting that you have milk in your huel! Bet that’s one thick shake.

I never really got on with almond milk, it just tasted a bit weird to me and was a bit watery. Oat milk is really good (oatly) but I can’t get on with the low fat version…it just seems watered down so you have to use twice as much of it like in tea. I just go regular.

robbiekeane

Don't try and live solely off the fake meat type things - you will maybe die 😂 whole grains, beans, nuts etc are your friend. That's not to say you can't get some of the Richmond kev Keegan sausages, but try and vary it.
Do you feel like you get enough protein? That’s something I still struggle with. I have the fake meats (impossible, beyond, quorn) which are good for a fix but too much of it and I feel a bit bloated.

Interested to get other peoples thoughts too

I am pescatarian at the moment and have been for about 18 months so I have tuna/swordfish steaks and then I have some whey protein powder to try and boost protein intake, as well as Huel shakes which have a fair bit. But will one day go fully vegan but need to work out other protein sources

stay_up_skyblues

Interesting that you have milk in your huel! Bet that’s one thick shake.

I never really got on with almond milk, it just tasted a bit weird to me and was a bit watery. Oat milk is really good (oatly) but I can’t get on with the low fat version…it just seems watered down so you have to use twice as much of it like in tea. I just go regular.

Yeah just the 1 Huel black scoop with 250ml skimmed milk (until now). Never tried it with water, thought it would be rank. It’s not really thick, about the same consistency as a Weetabix breakfast shake if you’ve ever tried one. Can’t comment on almond milk on its own but works fine in the shake. Will try oat milk next.

Jamesimus

Do you feel like you get enough protein? That’s something I still struggle with. I have the fake meats (impossible, beyond, quorn) which are good for a fix but too much of it and I feel a bit bloated.

Interested to get other peoples thoughts too

I am pescatarian at the moment and have been for about 18 months so I have tuna/swordfish steaks and then I have some whey protein powder to try and boost protein intake, as well as Huel shakes which have a fair bit. But will one day go fully vegan but need to work out other protein sources

Yeah I think so, I exercise a lot though and I guess it's hard to tell? Like as in I wouldn't really know what that felt like I guess. I do think there's a lot of myth around the amount of protein we need and totally depends on the person / what you do.

There's tonnes of protein in various different beans, nuts etc and the amount is not much different to chicken, albeit slightly less. I think getting "complete proteins" is a little more difficult and depends upon the combinations of food you eat (I'm no expert on dietary science but perhaps someone on here knows a bit more?).

I do eat fake meats etc but try to limit the amount I do, generally feel okay after them. Whey protein used to make me feel bloated, I don't supplement protein anymore (used to get the vegan bulk powders ones, but found they just made me lose my appetite).

skyblueinBaku

Yeah I think so, I exercise a lot though and I guess it's hard to tell? Like as in I wouldn't really know what that felt like I guess. I do think there's a lot of myth around the amount of protein we need and totally depends on the person / what you do.

There's tonnes of protein in various different beans, nuts etc and the amount is not much different to chicken, albeit slightly less. I think getting "complete proteins" is a little more difficult and depends upon the combinations of food you eat (I'm no expert on dietary science but perhaps someone on here knows a bit more?).

I do eat fake meats etc but try to limit the amount I do, generally feel okay after them. Whey protein used to make me feel bloated, I don't supplement protein anymore (used to get the vegan bulk powders ones, but found they just made me lose my appetite).
Grains and pulses combine to give complete protein : eg beans & rice, beans on toast.

Liquid Gold

I don't really like the McPlant but I don't really like McDonalds anyway.

I wish the Burger King one was actually vegan

JAM See

robbiekeane

I just learnt something terrible.

7 billion make chicks are culled each year in the egg industry. They are literally thrown into a grinder or suffocated with co2.

humans are fucking trash how can we have letit get to this?

I’m not vegan yet I’m pescatarian but often I’m going more and more for plant based options. Prefer oat milk, love impossible/beyond meat stuff, don’t really miss chicken all that much as there’s quorn etc. Eggs there’s a product called “Just Egg” that is pretty good.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not like “against” eating meat I love it. I’m just against factory farming. It’s fucking horrific and cruel.

Deep deep down anyone with a heart knows this and when you try and talk to people about it (myself included for many many many years) the truth is we just don’t want to know the truth, because we think it’ll make us feel guilty or it’ll put us off. Well, good? If it’s that bad that it will do that, then we shouldn’t be doing it or eating it should we?

Back in the day when there were small small individual farms and animals were given plenty of space and roamed around freely and generally we needed animal products to live off/survive, then that’s one thing. But now it’s not that way at all, the conditions are horrific and we have viable substitutes.

I need to go completely vegan I think I just need to get the willpower.

JAM See

7 billion make chicks are culled each year in the egg industry. They are literally thrown into a grinder or suffocated with co2.

I’m not vegan yet I’m pescatarian but often I’m going more and more for plant based options. Prefer oat milk, love impossible/beyond meat stuff, don’t really miss chicken all that much as there’s quorn etc. Eggs there’s a product called “Just Egg” that is pretty good.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not like “against” eating meat I love it. I’m just against factory farming. It’s fucking horrific and cruel.

Deep deep down anyone with a heart knows this and when you try and talk to people about it (myself included for many many many years) the truth is we just don’t want to know the truth, because we think it’ll make us feel guilty or it’ll put us off. Well, good? If it’s that bad that it will do that, then we shouldn’t be doing it or eating it should we?

Back in the day when there were small small individual farms and animals were given plenty of space and roamed around freely and generally we needed animal products to live off/survive, then that’s one thing. But now it’s not that way at all, the conditions are horrific and we have viable substitutes.

If you have the space, get some 'rescue' chickens. Guilt(ish) free eggs every day.

Be aware though that they will completely fuck up your garden and also that local foxes are incredibly ingenious.

Alkhen

Am I the only person who thinks all Greggs bakes taste the same?

Basically carbs and oil with some filling.

Don't get me wrong, I love a Greggs bake. But they all taste the same.

See also Subway.

Yes Subway has a weird taste to me, whatever I get wherever I go. its almost like they bleach the veg or something.

Jamesimus

Am I the only person who thinks all Greggs bakes taste the same?

Basically carbs and oil with some filling.

Don't get me wrong, I love a Greggs bake. But they all taste the same.

See also Subway.

You're probably right! But it's difficult not to get excited about having new junk food options about when not so long ago, bringing your own food nearly everywhere was a necessity.

The M&S Xmas sandwiches are usually very good.

Jamesimus

It's one of those things that is more difficult at first, but then just gets easier with time until it's something you don't put too much thought into at all.

Terry_dactyl

I’ve been mostly having veggie/vegan sausages for a while but this week tried Richmonds meat free ones…honestly can’t tell the difference.

Sick Boy

That's the thing, if you're doing it for ethical reasons around animals, you really should be vegan.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is probably the thing I would like to change most about myself and would make a difference, but if I go more than a couple of days without meat I start to feel lethargic, headachy and my muscles and joints get sore. I enjoy a cold glass of milk and I love cheese. I'm cutting down on the amount of meat in my dinners and having more veg but as I say if I cut meat out entirely i just don't feel great.

The investment in the veggie/vegan industry has improved massively and in terms of taste and texture they're on a par with the real thing.

I'm certain this is just going to grow and in time meat eating will be looked back on as a rather primitive and barbaric thing. As the sector continue to grow the costs will come down and eventually will be the cheaper than the meat as now it's being sold at a premium as a sort of speciality food. When it becomes the norm that will disappear

skybluetony176

I just can’t kick milk chocolate. Vegan chocolate is improving year on year though.

robbiekeane

Talking of vegan chocolate. Any recommendations.
Mars released a very good Galaxy vegan bar i think it was with caramlized sea salt bits in it. Is it exactly the same as a galaxy bar no obviously not, but definitely enough for a fix.

That's the thing, if you're doing it for ethical reasons around animals, you really should be vegan.

It's progress over perfection though isn't it. I try not to beat myself up all the way because it is very difficult to make the adjustment and it's stepping stones. Also worth calling out it's not so much ethical reasons around eating animals, it's ethical things around factory farming. Subtle difference but important to me.

I'd happily do what @JAM See recommended and i'd still eat the egg probably (although when you think about it, eating eggs is just really fucking weird isnt it? So is dairy. Probably things that started because humans just needed to survive and these animals produced things with Macronutrients that we required but now, it's just a bit weird isnt it?).

Or like, if i was out in the wild and went and hunted a wild deer then i'd have less trouble eating it.

But these animals are literally selectively bred so that they have more meat and then they are kept in shitty conditions and its just treated like a business model. Look at the size of chickens over the last 50 years. Now the poor fuckers can't even walk.

Worlds gone mad

1638546035186.png

robbiekeane

I’ve been mostly having veggie/vegan sausages for a while but this week tried Richmonds meat free ones…honestly can’t tell the difference.
Thats the thing, when you're replacing stuff thats processed beyond all recognition anyway, it's pretty easy.

Sausages, ground beef, minced meat, burgers etc etc. You're not eating it for the delicious taste of lean meat are you - it's usually the salt and texture and flavouring and the stuff you eat it with. Easy to replace.

What's hard and probably never going to happen is replacing things like steak, chicken breast etc. But im okay with that

Kneeza

Based on this, my missus bought a pack of Richmond ones yesterday and we tried them last night.
I have to say I didn’t like them, and they certainly didn't taste like meat sausages to me. A somewhat strange taste and texture, I thought.
Just my opinion though, and if they hit the spot for you, all's good.

Users who are viewing this thread