Any vegans ? (1 Viewer)

Skybluefaz

Picked up some of the Aldi new vegan bacon replacement stuff today. More expensive than actual bacon. Interested in what that is like because as cliché as it is, a bacon sandwich would be one of the hardest things to give up for me.
Was not impressed by this stuff. Real lack of flavour.

NorthernWisdom

Was not impressed by this stuff. Real lack of flavour.
As a committed meat eater ;) I think meat substitutes don't work if you eat meat. They're all off in either taste or texture, and it's no substitute for the real thing if you're used to it.

I'm happier with the things that don't pretend to be beef mince or something. I quite like a Sainsburys Glamorgan sausage (I appreciate not vegan, for this thread!) and they're far better than the ones that pretend to be pork.

Grendel

As a committed meat eater ;) I think meat substitutes don't work if you eat meat. They're all off in either taste or texture, and it's no substitute for the real thing if you're used to it.

I'm happier with the things that don't pretend to be beef mince or something. I quite like a Sainsburys Glamorgan sausage (I appreciate not vegan, for this thread!) and they're far better than the ones that pretend to be pork.

I do think in the next century people will look at meat eaters as a very strange barbaric civilisation

The indoctrination of milk in everything is very odd when you rationalise it and clearly not healthy at all

Grendel

Well...I would disagree, but it's probably not appropriate to argue about it.

I would think we are the only species that drinks another’s milk

Intense farming and it’s ultimate destruction and deforestation also are huge factors regarding climate change. I would assume as you have no issue with blocking motorways making it impossible to access fast food shit joints like McDonald’s is also something you’d support?

NorthernWisdom

I would think we are the only species that drinks another’s milk

Intense farming and it’s ultimate destruction and deforestation also are huge factors regarding climate change. I would assume as you have no issue with blocking motorways making it impossible to access fast food shit joints like McDonald’s is also something you’d support?
Now... I made no negative judgement there about vegetarianism / veganism, was just describing my taste preferences of vegetarian products not mirroring meat. If you want me to go more vegetarian, then that's the way *I* would go.

I don't, however, really fancy a debate about the ethics of what *I* eat in return... it's not going to encourage me. Considering you always bang the drum of people being able to be free to choose to do what they want, it's rather odd you choose to do this.

What I certainly will not do is go on a vegan thread and tell people they're wrong, as that would be inconsiderate. If you took offence at my wording about veg / vegan stuff not mirroring meat then I apologise as that was not my intention.

Right, I'm off to leave you to it. Derailing a thread is really not the way to go.

Liquid Gold

I do think in the next century people will look at meat eaters as a very strange barbaric civilisation

The indoctrination of milk in everything is very odd when you rationalise it and clearly not healthy at all
Did you see that sketch that was made set 50 years in the future where teenagers are going to group therapy about their parents eating meat?

This comment just reminded me of it.

Liquid Gold

I think this is probably fair. I haven't eaten meat in over a decade so it all tastes good to me but if you were going from one day eating meat to the next eating substitutes you'd probably notice it.

Although I will always argue the mince stuff is better.

Skybluefaz

Yeah there is probably too much comparison. I've tried quite a few different vegetarian sausages and like most of them. With the bacon they were never going to match the texture. Thought they might have made a better go with the smoky flavour. At least frazzles are vegetarian!

hill83

I’ve been having this for a couple of months just to see what it’s like. Having it as a replacement for breakfast.

Rocket fuel turds but overall feel much better than I did.

Skybluefaz

I’ve been having this for a couple of months just to see what it’s like. Having it as a replacement for breakfast.

Quite like the look of some of their stuff. Not gonna lie I like the branding as much as anything. Also sub to a bloke on YouTube who has lost a good bit of weight on this stuff and says he enjoys it.

Grendel

Did you see that sketch that was made set 50 years in the future where teenagers are going to group therapy about their parents eating meat?

This comment just reminded me of it.

There is a wider point here regarding people’s willingness to actually really do things to contribute to the environment without impacting on their personal live style or finances

It’s pretty obvious most meat and packaging being cheap is not ethical (and that’s a choice for everyone) or bred in an environmentally friendly way

Which actually is fine and I have zero problem with the likes of Jeremy Clarkson as he’s honest and doesn’t give a fuck

What I do have some issue with is those who claim to have ethical superiority but seem not to practice any of it. Now I am looking at replacement my heating system and I am considering an electric pump mechanism which clearly is very expensive. I will though look at it and if it’s efficient enough get it - some on here will agree with protesters and preach but will want taxpayers to pay for such things

Seems it’s never practice what people preach and that’s not actually a comment on any individual but a general observation

hill83

Quite like the look of some of their stuff. Not gonna lie I like the branding as much as anything. Also sub to a bloke on YouTube who has lost a good bit of weight on this stuff and says he enjoys it.

I’m not using it for weight or anything like that. I’m just lazy when it comes to making meals. Can quite easily go a whole day without eating and the next day 2 takeaways.

The branding is good to be fair, got a free t-shirt as well.

JAM See

There is a wider point here regarding people’s willingness to actually really do things to contribute to the environment without impacting on their personal live style or finances

It’s pretty obvious most meat and packaging being cheap is not ethical (and that’s a choice for everyone) or bred in an environmentally friendly way

Which actually is fine and I have zero problem with the likes of Jeremy Clarkson as he’s honest and doesn’t give a fuck

What I do have some issue with is those who claim to have ethical superiority but seem not to practice any of it. Now I am looking at replacement my heating system and I am considering an electric pump mechanism which clearly is very expensive. I will though look at it and if it’s efficient enough get it - some on here will agree with protesters and preach but will want taxpayers to pay for such things

Seems it’s never practice what people preach and that’s not actually a comment on any individual but a general observation
It’s pretty obvious most ANYTHING and packaging being cheap is not ethical (and that’s a choice for everyone) or produced in an environmentally friendly way
Fixed that for you.

I agree, but I still use Amazon Prime.

This issue needs addressing at a governmental/global level.

Grendel

It’s pretty obvious most ANYTHING and packaging being cheap is not ethical (and that’s a choice for everyone) or produced in an environmentally friendly way
Fixed that for you.

I agree, but I still use Amazon Prime.

This issue needs addressing at a governmental/global level.

People themselves also could take self responsibility - blaming governments is a get out. I’ve frequently stated I don’t use Amazon and if you do you can’t blame governments

Grendel

Mmmmmmm

robbiekeane

Big fan of huel. Their hot and savoury range is good too and really convenient. As easy as a pot noodle. Usually swap out lunch for a huel shake. i do mostly use it for convenience and for protein content/nutritional values as I’m pescatarian but get bored with fish.

Jamesimus

Talk to me ...

Health benefits ?

What are the downsides ?

Expensive ?

Do you supplement ?

Interested

Been vegan 8 years now, health benefits include the fact I'm still alive.

There's a lot of talk around better recovery times in sport, increased energy etc. It's super hard to measure because everyone's different - don't get sucked in by the documentaries that make out you will become like Wolverine or some kind of super human by exercise and going vegan. But I imagine there's some science in there?

Downsides - I guess the start; learning to look at the backs of stuff and then sighing when you find out something has milk powder in it. EDIT - this gets loads easier over time, after a year or so you get to almost have a 6th sense as to what might be okay. When they changed the law so that allergens had to be in bold, this got easier.

Obviously 8 years ago the landscape was very different and eating out was very much a planned endeavour - ask for a vegan pizza at Pizza Hut and you'd get a bowl of olives. Now, so many places cater.

Weird or over top people who base their entire personality around a lifestyle choice and talk down to others I personally find a bit of a downer.

Constant questions from work colleagues or "banter" I've gradually got used to over the years and to be honest I'm a gobshite and have an answer for everything. But could be a downer for some people. I generally won't even bring it up, but people will notice and you will get asked the same questions over and over again.

8 years ago it was cheap. Obviously now, the landscape has changed, options are more readily available so you don't have to go home and cook a pinto bean curry before you go to the pub. Companies and businesses are taking advantage of the fact it's become a "trend" so to speak, so some of them charge a premium for tasty treats. You can do it cheap if that's what you want to do.

Don't try and live solely off the fake meat type things - you will maybe die 😂 whole grains, beans, nuts etc are your friend. That's not to say you can't get some of the Richmond kev Keegan sausages, but try and vary it.

I get B12 supplements and multivits and that's it, don't have any health problems. Not sure if I need them, just habit.

I didn't really notice a difference, but I was vegetarian before I went vegan. I did notice a difference in having better energy levels and feeling like I needed to sleep less when I went veggie.

Last edited:

stay_up_skyblues

Haven’t decided to go vegan or veggie but a few changes have been on my mind recently. The first I am going to try is swapping skimmed milk for almond milk in my Huel morning and lunchtime shakes. Heading out in a bit to buy it, no idea what to expect taste wise?!?

fernandopartridge

Haven’t decided to go vegan or veggie but a few changes have been on my mind recently. The first I am going to try is swapping skimmed milk for almond milk in my Huel morning and lunchtime shakes. Heading out in a bit to buy it, no idea what to expect taste wise?!?
Almond milk tastes like very very watered down almonds

Ian1779

Again. Liquid smoke. Henderson’s Relish instead of Worcester sauce is another good one, basically the same but vegan.
Henderson’s Relish is far superior to Worcester Sauce. Discovered it about 4 years ago and never looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread