Evo1883

Talk to me ...

Health benefits ?

What are the downsides ?

Expensive ?

Do you supplement ?

Interested

block16

I am. Would say I'm vegetarian but in fairness I've all but completely cut out any dairy or animal products when I can.
I wouldn't say it's easy to go directly from eating whatever animal you want to vegan, but it is very easy to slowly cut things out. Makes you more conscious of things if you for example go pescatarian first.
Health benefits are lower cholesterol, lower rates of heart disease, cancer diabetes etc. Would recommend game changers Arnold Schwarzenegger documentary about vegan athletes and the huge benefits for body builders, footballers etc.
However it's a mostly ethical thing.
The downsides are more social. I never mention I'm veggie but the moment I chose a veggie option in a restaurant I have to explain it to the people I'm around gets tiring because the reasons seem obvious to me. Sometimes it's embarrassing you get judged differently, some people still see it as taboo and something 'snowflakes' do. Lot of ignorance around it all.
Would be nice if the CBS had a decent vegan option for food other than chips !

CBS16

It's probably cheaper if anything meat is pricey. Obviously the branded fake meat products (beyond meat etc) can be fairly expensive at the moment but I'd imagine the price will go down as the market for it grows

skybluetony176

Talk to me ...

Health benefits ?

What are the downsides ?

Expensive ?

Do you supplement ?

Interested
Nearly but not quite. Damn you ice cream and chocolate.

Health benefits are untold. Got more energy and recover much quicker after physical exertion. Sure my mental health has improved too, suffered a bit with anxiety over the years which was gradually getting worse and turning strict veggie almost vegan has helped turn the clock back I’m sure, barely effects me anymore. Didn’t loose weight from changing my diet but I stopped storing as much fat in certain places, most notably my love handles shrank. Still got some but they’re about a quarter of what they were. Little things like dry patchy skin almost cleared up.

Biggest downside for me is I miss sausage and egg McMuffins. Used to be eating out but most restaurants have caught up now.

Doesn’t have to be expensive it just depends how much work you’re willing to put in. We bulk buy a lot of lentils, dried peas and pulses and that’s our protein sorted.

We supplement a bit with things like nutritional yeast but a lot of things are fortified with vitamins like cereals and plant based milks etc so not strictly needed anymore than a meat eater so long as you’re mindful of what you’re eating. The one that regularly gets thrown around is vitamin B12. I get more than my daily B12 requirement from my breakfast. I have a cereal that’s fortified with it and the soya milk is also fortified with it, couple that with me being a greedy bastard and eat big portions that my B12 requirement sorted. My wife who tends to read up on things like this informs me that although marketing companies who promote meat and dairy like to say they’re needed to obtain B12 studies show that actually meat eaters are likely to be more deficient in B12 than vegetarians or vegans. Largely because the latter tend to be aware of what they consume.

Sick Boy

It's probably cheaper if anything meat is pricey. Obviously the branded fake meat products (beyond meat etc) can be fairly expensive at the moment but I'd imagine the price will go down as the market for it grows
I tried the Beyond Meat burgers a few weeks ago when in the UK and they’re actually pretty decent.

skybluetony176

I am. Would say I'm vegetarian but in fairness I've all but completely cut out any dairy or animal products when I can.
I wouldn't say it's easy to go directly from eating whatever animal you want to vegan, but it is very easy to slowly cut things out. Makes you more conscious of things if you for example go pescatarian first.
Health benefits are lower cholesterol, lower rates of heart disease, cancer diabetes etc. Would recommend game changers Arnold Schwarzenegger documentary about vegan athletes and the huge benefits for body builders, footballers etc.
However it's a mostly ethical thing.
The downsides are more social. I never mention I'm veggie but the moment I chose a veggie option in a restaurant I have to explain it to the people I'm around gets tiring because the reasons seem obvious to me. Sometimes it's embarrassing you get judged differently, some people still see it as taboo and something 'snowflakes' do. Lot of ignorance around it all.
Would be nice if the CBS had a decent vegan option for food other than chips !
Game changers is a really interesting watch. Somewhat of an eye opener. From watching that and things I’ve read since I can’t believe that every professional sports person isn’t plant based diet only. Really interesting was that the same advertising and marketing men that told us smoking was good for us are the same advertising and marketing men that tell us meat and dairy are good for us. Even use the same tactics like trying to attach themselves to sports.

skybluetony176

I tried the Beyond Meat burgers a few weeks ago when in the UK and they’re actually pretty decent.
Richmond do a really good plant based sausage too. Not sure how Linda McCartney still manages to sell hers after trying the Richmond ones. I think most would struggle to tell that they’re plant based not meat based.

Sick Boy

I don't want to be vegan but I do want to stop eating animals. Been gradually cutting down over the last few months.
If it’s for ethical reasons then you’d need to look at cutting out eggs and dairy, unless you know the source.

skybluetony176

You'd already know about it if someone was vegan. They'd have told you numerous times
The irony is I don’t advertise it unless asked, I then get accused of being preachy, well you did ask. I also think the tide has turned, meat eaters love telling you that they eat meat. One person I know loves to tell me when they’d had their weekly steak. Well they did, I haven’t spoken to him since his triple heart bypass ;)

Grendel

If it’s for ethical reasons then you’d need to look at cutting out eggs and dairy, unless you know the source.

Vegans really wouldn’t care what the source is it’s equally unethical in their standpoint

Grendel

Yeah I know but he said he wanted to stop eating animals, not become vegan.

Well it’s a start and intensively farmed animals do have an impact on global warming. All this nonsense about Christmas being cancelled - I wouldn’t care less if I didn’t eat meat at Christmas or any other time in truth. I do eat fish I admit and would struggle to give that up

JAM See

I'm neither vegetarian or vegan, but I have cut down on the meat thing a lot (the substitutes are very good).

I'm sure at some stage they'll get the cheese right, but how are they gonna crack the egg thing (pun intended)?

Poached eggs on toast is my go to hangover cure.

Covkid1968#

I eat more Fish…. No way am I giving that up. But I don’t enjoy steak like I used to.

Skybluefaz

It's more environmental and health reasons tbh. I am just substituting burgers for meat free, eating more stuff like gnocchi and Cous Cous. Bit of a weird one, I only want to cut right back not necessarily call myself Vegan, vegetarian whatever. Don't eat huge amount of dairy. Do love Scrambled Eggs though.

Liquid Gold

Been veggie for years but am vegan by accident a lot these days as I don’t drink tea or coffee and never have breakfast so rarely have milk and I like the vegan alternatives.

To be honest I don’t notice much difference these days as I drink far too much and changed years ago so I don’t really know why I’ve bothered commenting.

Good luck though.

wingy

I think as important as all this is, you're missing a trick if you do this without going organic.

Marty

I had to do it for a few months a couple of years back when I was bleeding out my arsehole, pritty easy to transition tbh, plenty of decent replacements available, Linda McCartney stuff is pritty good, Aubergine grilled is actually lovely and something I still eat to this day, I have oat milk instead of cows milk now.

Didn't notice any difference with my body but I was ridiculous fit at the time anyway.

Had a vegan diet for about 3 months, then I had to fast for 48 hours before having a camera shoved up my arse, ordered a large pepperoni pizza, it couldn't come fast enough, was delicious.

JAM See

I think as important as all this is, you're missing a trick if you do this without going organic.
I remain to be convinced by organic.

I'm a big fan of science and chemicals (vaccines, painkillers, chemotherapy, MDMA, etc).

I haven't read up on it enough, but I don't, in the abstract, have a problem with using science and chemicals to improve crop yield.

Last edited:

greys4life

Nearly but not quite. Damn you ice cream and chocolate.

Health benefits are untold. Got more energy and recover much quicker after physical exertion. Sure my mental health has improved too, suffered a bit with anxiety over the years which was gradually getting worse and turning strict veggie almost vegan has helped turn the clock back I’m sure, barely effects me anymore. Didn’t loose weight from changing my diet but I stopped storing as much fat in certain places, most notably my love handles shrank. Still got some but they’re about a quarter of what they were. Little things like dry patchy skin almost cleared up.

Biggest downside for me is I miss sausage and egg McMuffins. Used to be eating out but most restaurants have caught up now.

Doesn’t have to be expensive it just depends how much work you’re willing to put in. We bulk buy a lot of lentils, dried peas and pulses and that’s our protein sorted.

We supplement a bit with things like nutritional yeast but a lot of things are fortified with vitamins like cereals and plant based milks etc so not strictly needed anymore than a meat eater so long as you’re mindful of what you’re eating. The one that regularly gets thrown around is vitamin B12. I get more than my daily B12 requirement from my breakfast. I have a cereal that’s fortified with it and the soya milk is also fortified with it, couple that with me being a greedy bastard and eat big portions that my B12 requirement sorted. My wife who tends to read up on things like this informs me that although marketing companies who promote meat and dairy like to say they’re needed to obtain B12 studies show that actually meat eaters are likely to be more deficient in B12 than vegetarians or vegans. Largely because the latter tend to be aware of what they consume.

Veggie all my life and vegan for many years - think this pretty much says most of it. (you can get some really good vegan ice cream and chocolate you know;)). It's a lot easier I think now to go veggie and/or vegan with meat alternatives and packaging showing what's veggie or vegan.

The vegan society have lots of info and an app to give you a bit more help - you dont have to read all about the reasons, animal welfare etc but do look at how to go veggie/vegan and get some great ideas for meals. The Vegan Society

Lentils and tofu are my thing and they can be made into some great food. Try it.

skybluetony176

Veggie all my life and vegan for many years - think this pretty much says most of it. (you can get some really good vegan ice cream and chocolate you know;)). It's a lot easier I think now to go veggie and/or vegan with meat alternatives and packaging showing what's veggie or vegan.

The vegan society have lots of info and an app to give you a bit more help - you dont have to read all about the reasons, animal welfare etc but do look at how to go veggie/vegan and get some great ideas for meals. The Vegan Society

Lentils and tofu are my thing and they can be made into some great food. Try it.
TBF Ben and Jerry’s are doing some really nice vegan flavours now so the dairy ice cream intake has been dropping for a while now. My wife also does an awesome chocolate mousse made with Silken Tofu. I think she got the recipe from the vegan society.

Alkhen

Been a Veggie for a few years, like others have said I'm basically vegan when there is the choice or at home.

Feel a lot better than I did a few years ago but its probably more to do with eating better and being more active in general.

Don't miss meat in the slightest, the thought really turns my stomach now to be honest.

Liquid Gold

I never miss meat either. I think it's one of the most surprising things when people change their diet is they just adjust. I've never once felt tempted and when I eat out I just scan the menu for the dishes with a V next to them and choose from them.

Sick Boy

My parents became full of vegetarian a few years ago and say the same about eating meat. I did it for a year years and years ago but living in Italy there’s way too much temptation to even try and do it now.

Terry_dactyl

Well it’s a start and intensively farmed animals do have an impact on global warming. All this nonsense about Christmas being cancelled - I wouldn’t care less if I didn’t eat meat at Christmas or any other time in truth. I do eat fish I admit and would struggle to give that up
You might give Seaspiracy a watch. I’ve ‘accidentally’ had a couple of Tuna sandwiches since seeing it but pretty much given it up entirely. A toughie to give up for sure.

I ain’t a vegan or even a vegetarian - I lack the will power - but have introduced loads of alternatives. I think I may have eaten my last beef burger…the vegan ones nowadays are terrific.

Skybluefaz

Picked up some of the Aldi new vegan bacon replacement stuff today. More expensive than actual bacon. Interested in what that is like because as cliché as it is, a bacon sandwich would be one of the hardest things to give up for me.

wingy

I remain to be convinced by organic.

I'm a big fan of science and chemicals (vaccines, painkillers, chemotherapy etc).

I haven't read up on it enough, but I don't, in the abstract, have a problem with using science and chemicals to improve crop yield.
Well that's a winner cos their regular pork ones are bland as fuck 🙆‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread