Any runners out there that use smart technology? (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
So, I'm running the Cov Half this year. 3 weeks away! Need it to help me on my way to completing my challenge of running 1000 miles in a year while trying to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK (Men United) in the process :)

Just wandering if anyone knows of any apps that would allow me to be 'tracked' on the route by the family? They want to wait on the finish and will want to know when I make near as I've tried calling before on other runs, and Siri doesn't understand an-out-of-breath me, and faffing about making even a quick Call is likely to slow me down!

Looked online but can't seem to see anything that fits what I'm after - most can track a route but don't allow for people to 'follow'!

Not too much of an issue if such a feature doesn't exist. They will just have to wait around til im done :D

mkcityman

Try the Friend Locator app. It lets you decide who you want to track you and it picks up from your phone. Works well for running and to let anyone else know where you are at anytime.

Last edited:

duffer

So, I'm running the Cov Half this year. 3 weeks away! Need it to help me on my way to completing my challenge of running 1000 miles in a year while trying to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK (Men United) in the process :)

Just wandering if anyone knows of any apps that would allow me to be 'tracked' on the route by the family? They want to wait on the finish and will want to know when I make near as I've tried calling before on other runs, and Siri doesn't understand an-out-of-breath me, and faffing about making even a quick Call is likely to slow me down!

Looked online but can't seem to see anything that fits what I'm after - most can track a route but don't allow for people to 'follow'!

Not too much of an issue if such a feature doesn't exist. They will just have to wait around til im done :D

Runkeeper and Share My Run are a couple of apps I've heard of, but I think there might be others you can use these days too. Good luck on the run mate. :)

Covrock

My other half did the Brum half marathon last year. The electronic tag with your details attached to your race number, was connected to some app that allowed me to track her progress. So I Sat outside Greggs, nice cuppa and sausage roll an watched the world go by. Would imagine the cov race organisers would have something similar.

mkcityman

My other half did the Brum half marathon last year. The electronic tag with your details attached to your race number, was connected to some app that allowed me to track her progress. So I Sat outside Greggs, nice cuppa and sausage roll an watched the world go by. Would imagine the cov race organisers would have something similar.
That only happens for songs races though!

lifeskyblue

SW how can we give to you? You should hang out in the family zone on one Saturday and pick up as much money as you can. Alternatively to you have a giving page?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sw88

Chief Commentator!
SW how can we give to you? You should hang out in the family zone on one Saturday and pick up as much money as you can. Alternatively to you have a giving page?

I do have a just giving page for sponsorship, if anyone wished to sponsor. Wasn’t the intention of my post, but very kind of you to ask :D

Raising money Read Steve's story

lifeskyblue

Job done. Hopefully a few more on here will add a little. Good luck on completing.

Si80

Steve, if one of your family have an iPhone and you’re running with your phone then couldn’t you just have them follow you via Find Friends app?
Obvs only works if you’re carrying your phone.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Good luck mate i did it a couple of years ago, throughly enjoyed it and understand why people do full marathon. It’s a great sense of achievement, although when your struggling up dark lane and you get over taken by 4 lads dressed up as the Jamaican bobsleigh team it’s annoying

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Good luck mate i did it a couple of years ago, throughly enjoyed it and understand why people do full marathon. It’s a great sense of achievement, although when your struggling up dark lane and you get over taken by 4 lads dressed up as the Jamaican bobsleigh team it’s annoying

Thanks! I did it so,e years ago, but stopped running after my last one. Only been back running about 13 months, so if I get through this I'll be happy. Did a 10 miler in January in 1 hr 29 mins so thinking I should be OK!
The course is different from the previous times of doing it though so might be a challenge in itself not knowing the roads!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Steve, if one of your family have an iPhone and you’re running with your phone then couldn’t you just have them follow you via Find Friends app?
Obvs only works if you’re carrying your phone.

I did think this Si, but sister is an android (well her phone :)). I do have an old iPhone so could just have her use that for the day, presuming I could set it up with my Apple ID and me basically look for myself (just a different device)?

Users who are viewing this thread