Any refs out there (1 Viewer)

covboy1987

Only a matter of referee rule book thoughts, and yes we deserved to lose on Sunday, for the pen the Worcester player clearly tripped our goalkeeper in the first place, basically our goalkeeper tripped him back- How was this a penalty? should it not have been a yellow card for both players - The first foul was committed by the Worcester player which was a foul and an automatic free kick to Cov and the ball at that point is no longer in play

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't think the ref saw the first trip, I've watched the replay and you can just about see the ref in shot running towards the halfway line when Burge is tripped.

D

Deleted member 4439

I don't think you need a ref for this one: it should have been a free-kick and a yellow card for the Worc. player, though Burge's retaliation was a red card offence. You have to assume that the ref didn't see the offence. Have no problem with Worc. walking off with the victory; but the sight of the Worc. player in question on Midlands Today crowing about the victory, after his nasty behaviour, left a bad taste.

It was a little bit like the infamous Beckham sending off: yes, Burge was petulant, but it was in response to some nasty aggravation.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4439

I don't think the ref saw the first trip, I've watched the replay and you can just about see the ref in shot running towards the halfway line when Burge is tripped.

Indeed, in the FA Cup commentary they thought Burge had been tripped by one of his own players.

skybluesham

I was amazed that it was a penalty, sending off maybe as he did kick out, but from what I saw the 1st offence was a trip on the goalie (or he mite of tripped himself up trying to kick the ball as his kicking was white) so should of been a free kick to us..might show something different on tv highlights, but I can't bring myself to watch it.
Still all said and done we SHOULD of won with 10 men

RFC

I don't think you need a ref for this one: it should have been a free-kick and a yellow card for the Worc. player, though Burge's retaliation was a red card offence. You have to assume that the ref didn't see the offence. Have no problem with Worc. walking off with the victory; but the sight of the Worc. player in question on Midlands Today crowing about the victory, after his nasty behaviour, left a bad taste.

It was a little bit like the infamous Beckham sending off: yes, Burge was petulant, but it was in response to some nasty aggravation.

Spot on Ross's first big game & generally he handled & managed it well. Good use of allowing play to flow but bringing it back if no advantage, cool, calm & positive with decision making. Don't think he say trip on Burge but he had a good game!

Nick

Administrator
It was a pen because the trip wasn't given. If he had blown from that then play wouldn't have been active so he would have got a red but free kick to us.

He didn't see the trip but saw the kick out, play was active when he kicked out.

Hobo

Agree with the above. Don't think ref saw original offence. He dealt with it the way he saw it and made the correct decision in those circumstances.

blueflint

without the original free kick being awarded then the following foul will stand

RegTheDonk

Think we do need a ref....how about this one....?

Obviously he didn't see the trip, so Burge gets a red for the violent conduct.

But Burge was in possession of the ball. The other guy was no where near it, was not challenging for it. There was no advantage to give to the Worcs player. Seems an "off the ball" incident to me.

So how is it a pen? Drop ball perhaps? Or am I missing something?

edgy

Think we do need a ref....how about this one....?

Obviously he didn't see the trip, so Burge gets a red for the violent conduct.

But Burge was in possession of the ball. The other guy was no where near it, was not challenging for it. There was no advantage to give to the Worcs player.

So how is it a pen? Drop ball perhaps? Or am I missing something?

Doesn't matter who is in possession of the ball. If Burge had punted the ball up into their half and then kicked their man, it's still a penalty. A foul doesn't need to involve the ball.

RegTheDonk

Doesn't matter who is in possession of the ball. If Burge had punted the ball up into their half and then kicked their man, it's still a penalty. A foul doesn't need to involve the ball.

Cheers for that Edgy. I was under the impression that there had to be some advantage lost for it to be a free kick etc.

Nick

Administrator
Cheers for that Edgy. I was under the impression that there had to be some advantage lost for it to be a free kick etc.

I think if play is active it is a pen. If for example the ball was out for a corner at the other end and burge did it, it wouldn't be a pen. (I think??)

Brian The Ref

It's a penalty as the original offence (the trip) was missed, so the ball is still in play.
It doesn't matter if the kick connected either as the offence is 'kicking or attempting to kick' and as previously pointed out it just highlights how bad Burge's kicking really is!!
Unfortunately it comes under 'Violent Conduct' as it is in essence an off the ball incident, it could only be 'Serious Foul Play' if it as attempt to win the ball, in an excessively violent manner.

SkyBlue_Bear83

It's a penalty as the original offence (the trip) was missed, so the ball is still in play.
It doesn't matter if the kick connected either as the offence is 'kicking or attempting to kick' and as previously pointed out it just highlights how bad Burge's kicking really is!!
Unfortunately it comes under 'Violent Conduct' as it is in essence an off the ball incident, it could only be 'Serious Foul Play' if it as attempt to win the ball, in an excessively violent manner.
Hypothetically, what would have happened if the ref had seen the trip but signaled play on as Burge had the ball in his hands and he didn't want to disrupt the game. Would he then have pulled it back for the original trip, so red card and free kick to us? Or could he still have awarded a pen?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I'm not sure if the Lino have it. Although he didn't flag, ref glanced over in his direction and was talking through his ear piece? Maybe he just thought he'd see if he saw the same thing?

As for it being a penalty, if the 'trip' went unnoticed, but the kick out was, then that's a foul, and as the ball was still in play (albeit in a GK's arms), it's still classed as being in open play, and consequently a foul in the area

Brian The Ref

If he'd played advantage he would have brought it back, free kick for us and red card.

As an assessor too, i'd have slaughtered him for playing advantage with that many players around him!!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Hypothetically, what would have happened if the ref had seen the trip but signaled play on as Burge had the ball in his hands and he didn't want to disrupt the game. Would he then have pulled it back for the original trip, so red card and free kick to us? Or could he still have awarded a pen?

I would guess he would go back to where the advantage was given, as it would have been noted as a foul, but still given red for retaliation (seen it before with outfield players who have retaliated off the ball after an advantage has been played)

No problem with the sending off but he and the linesman clearly missed the original offence. That said, so did I! However, something I did spot which was strange! In the first half their no.8 was booked for fouling Maddison and giving away the penalty. In the second half, Worcester were time wasting and the no.8 was slow taking a free kick. The ref, from about 40 yards away showed him the yellow card, but didin't check his shirt number or write anything in his notebook. My son said straightaway that he had been booked already. It was as if the ref realised that he'd booked him but then immediately changed his mind after producing the card! Both the ref and the player seemed to be a bit furtive afterwards, hoping nobody noticed, and it seems they didn't!!!

SkyBlue_Bear83

No problem with the sending off but he and the linesman clearly missed the original offence. That said, so did I! However, something I did spot which was strange! In the first half their no.8 was booked for fouling Maddison and giving away the penalty. In the second half, Worcester were time wasting and the no.8 was slow taking a free kick. The ref, from about 40 yards away showed him the yellow card, but didin't check his shirt number or write anything in his notebook. My son said straightaway that he had been booked already. It was as if the ref realised that he'd booked him but then immediately changed his mind after producing the card! Both the ref and the player seemed to be a bit furtive afterwards, hoping nobody noticed, and it seems they didn't!!!

Looks like you could be right, I was under the scoreboard so couldn't see the number on the opposition players shirt but have just found this

Off the BBC feed

45:00 +1:44 Booking Booking Ellis Deeney (Worcester City) is shown the yellow card.

Obviously for the penalty

Then nothing else on the BBC feed that says he was booked again

But off the Coventry telegraph feed

3:48 pm
James Rodger

COVENTRY 1-2 WORCESTER: Another yellow card for time-wasting... this time for Deeney.
Where have they been learning this?

Good spot I'm surprised this has gone under the radar

SkyBlue_Bear83

Actually upon further digging it was there number 4 Hutchinson who fouled Maddison, yet there isn't any record of him being booked anywhere on the web. Yet I seem to remember the guy who fouled Maddison was booked?

8018ae6cc1bcf135b88a6e2c134c5222.png

:thinking about:

Looks like the ref was about as competent as our team :facepalm:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Is the ref going to withdraw his decision? No. Are we still in the FA Cup? No. Move on. Nothing to see. What's done is done.

Users who are viewing this thread