Any Burton players you would like here next season? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Assuming they do go up, I don't think they have the personnel to play at Championship level. Certainly not many of them anyway.

Would therefore assume they will release some players.

As the club has very much had a winning mentality about it, it surely must be worth our considering some of their players for next season here wouldn't it?

Samo

Only their starting 11

SkyBlue_Bear83

The keeper McLaughlin made a bit of a cock up tonight but always looked solid otherwise, wouldn't mind him. Also Duffy has looked a tricky customer. No others standout to me but imagine they have a decent defender or two.

Otis

The keeper McLaughlin made a bit of a cock up tonight but always looked solid otherwise, wouldn't mind him. Also Duffy has looked a tricky customer. No others standout to me but imagine they have a decent defender or two.
Their defence has been pretty solid all season.

Last edited:

jas365

Players with a winning mentality can prove invaluable and let's face it they have been up there in the top 3 or 4 all season long.

They've been at the top for the last 2 seasons. An example of winning becoming a habit if ever there was one.

steve82

Burton are a very good example of how a core of the team needs to be settled and contracted for a few seasons, get the connection to the club and galvanise a strong team playing for each other.
Burton lost out in the playoffs twice before winning league 2 and now another likely promotion.
A steady well built club that has had enjoyed success and a winning mentality throughout.
Good luck to them to, recall watching them in the southern league premier in the early 90's.

Gazolba

How many players have we signed that had a 'winning mentality' at their previous clubs but after joining us that mentality melted away.

Terry Gibson's perm

As individuals they have very few that I would want as man for man we are better, but as a team you would sign all 11 as they must be doing something right to be at the top.

shy_tall_knight

Without wanting to go off topic our revolving door of players since we were relegated has just given the club an air of short-term and unstable. Two years ago this is the matchday squad v Crewe away

Coventry City: Murphy (c), Adams (Marshall 75), Webster, Seaborne, Clarke, Willis, Thomas (Eccleston 64), Prutton, Moussa (Baker 49), Robinson, Wilson
Subs: Burge (GK), Haynes, Delfouneso, Christie

Of those 18 players only 4 are still with the club none are legulars Burge & Willis when fit will be in the squad Haynes & Thomas will probaby been gone - that is just too much chopping and changing. Hopefully TM can identify his targets early and get them signed up.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Without wanting to go off topic our revolving door of players since we were relegated has just given the club an air of short-term and unstable. Two years ago this is the matchday squad v Crewe away

Coventry City: Murphy (c), Adams (Marshall 75), Webster, Seaborne, Clarke, Willis, Thomas (Eccleston 64), Prutton, Moussa (Baker 49), Robinson, Wilson
Subs: Burge (GK), Haynes, Delfouneso, Christie

Of those 18 players only 4 are still with the club none are legulars Burge & Willis when fit will be in the squad Haynes & Thomas will probaby been gone - that is just too much chopping and changing. Hopefully TM can identify his targets early and get them signed up.

But tbf if we'd still got most of these on our books, we'd be one o lf the worst teams in the league! :D

mrtrench

It's more likely we can nick the better players from Crewe than take Burton's IMO.

mrtrench

It's more that I cannot see Burton releasing anyone from their first choice 11. If they bring in 5 new players then I suspect they will release some of their second choice players. Do we want them? We're certainly not going to get to choose who we want from their first 11 - not going to happen.

Nick

Administrator
I'd say our wage budget is a fair bit higher than theirs as well. It isn't so much about the players, it's the tactics and the team.

I have only heard of Moushino, Bywater and Beavon.

Captain Dart

Don't understand the OP, they'll keep their best players & shed the make weights.

tom88

It's more likely we can nick the better players from Crewe than take Burton's IMO.

I'd take Haber from Crewe.

Big strong unit that can score goals in a poor Crewe team. Also bullied Reda all game at the Ricoh earlier this season

Otis

Don't understand the OP, they'll keep their best players & shed the make weights.
Not so sure, and why don't you understand? I don't understand that you don't understand. ;)

You have to remember Burton were League Two with League Two players. Now League One and looking like Championship next year.

Every player has their level. Can't expect Burton to be playing players who were League Two, two levels higher. Some may well be okay, but for most it will be a step too far.

There are lots and lots of players who are good enough for League One, but not good enough for the Championship.

Didn't we say oursleves that if we went up we ourselves would need to replace quite a number of our players, because we don't feel they can step up.

As I say, every player has their level.

If Burton try and compete with this season's squad in the Championship they will surely be doomed from the off.

They will have players good enough for League One, but not good enough for the Championship. You go up, you try and improve the quality of your squad, you don't just keep the same 11 players who were doing it for you in a lower division.

We should definitely keep an eye out for players good enough for League One, but that they have let go.

Skyblueweeman

I reckon they'd give those who get them promoted the chance to shine in the Championship. They'll bring in some players to supplement their existing squad and I cannot see them letting many go.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would like to see us sign players from the teams around us this year as it will weaken them

also lots of teams will be losing key players this summer can't see Walsall keeping Bradshaw and the other two if they don't go up and same with Dack at Gills don't think we will get any of them as they are more likely to move up the food chain.

I would always be happy signing the odd Crewe player as they technically very good normally.

Otis

I read somewhere that Paddy Madden is out of contract this year.

Would love him here.

Scunthorpe look likely to finish higher than us though now this season.

steve82

Would love him here.

He has to be the pick of the league to try and sign. Doubt we could lure him here plenty of clubs will try and Bolton will be going for many of the pick.

Terry Gibson's perm

He has to be the pick of the league to try and sign. Doubt we could lure him here plenty of clubs will try and Bolton will be going for many of the pick.

Why would Bolton want him don't they have Aemile Heskey

Captain Dart

robbieray

Not so sure, and why don't you understand? I don't understand that you don't understand. ;)

You have to remember Burton were League Two with League Two players. Now League One and looking like Championship next year.

Every player has their level. Can't expect Burton to be playing players who were League Two, two levels higher. Some may well be okay, but for most it will be a step too far.

There are lots and lots of players who are good enough for League One, but not good enough for the Championship.

Didn't we say oursleves that if we went up we ourselves would need to replace quite a number of our players, because we don't feel they can step up.

As I say, every player has their level.

If Burton try and compete with this season's squad in the Championship they will surely be doomed from the off.

They will have players good enough for League One, but not good enough for the Championship. You go up, you try and improve the quality of your squad, you don't just keep the same 11 players who were doing it for you in a lower division.

We should definitely keep an eye out for players good enough for League One, but that they have let go.

Don't understand

SBAndy

Would love him here.

I'd love him here as well, but he's contracted to Scunthorpe til 2018.

Hobo

Assuming they do go up, I don't think they have the personnel to play at Championship level. Certainly not many of them anyway.

Would therefore assume they will release some players.

As the club has very much had a winning mentality about it, it surely must be worth our considering some of their players for next season here wouldn't it?

People said they wouldn't cope with League 1. They have walked it.

Users who are viewing this thread