Antisocial Neighbours (1 Viewer)

Alkhen

Not sure why I’m asking on here, but have any of you had experience of dealing with antisocial Neighbors?

I live in a privately rented semi with my young family (lad 3 & a lass just 1) been happily in the same house for over 10 years. The house attached is owned by the council but we have never had an issue with a resident before
In July last year a new family moved in and have been making our life hell ever since. Not going to go into details of them or their circumstances but from what I gather there is just a mum with 6 kids, 2 dogs and at estimate 6 cats.

There is a massive amount of loud noise well into the early hours nearly daily , Arguments and crashing around. Loud drum & bass sporadically. One of the kids plays computer games all night to the point it still sounds like WW3 when I get up for work.

I go around and explain I have little kids that need to sleep and usually they relent and turn the music down slightly (with a large dose of attitude thrown in)
Their garden looks like a rubbish dump and their cats crap all over ours to the point im not letting my kids use it.

We have been attempting to keep things civil and talk face to face but the endless noise and parties over the Xmas period was the final straw.
Finally had to put in an official complaint but am now pretty edgy over if it was the correct decision as the family is fairly notorious in our area.

So have any of you been through similar, what were your experiences. We don’t want to be forced out but kind of feel we may have no choice.

mechaishida

Not sure why I’m asking on here, but have any of you had experience of dealing with antisocial Neighbors?

I live in a privately rented semi with my young family (lad 3 & a lass just 1) been happily in the same house for over 10 years. The house attached is owned by the council but we have never had an issue with a resident before
In July last year a new family moved in and have been making our life hell ever since. Not going to go into details of them or their circumstances but from what I gather there is just a mum with 6 kids, 2 dogs and at estimate 6 cats.

There is a massive amount of loud noise well into the early hours nearly daily , Arguments and crashing around. Loud drum & bass sporadically. One of the kids plays computer games all night to the point it still sounds like WW3 when I get up for work.

I go around and explain I have little kids that need to sleep and usually they relent and turn the music down slightly (with a large dose of attitude thrown in)
Their garden looks like a rubbish dump and their cats crap all over ours to the point im not letting my kids use it.

We have been attempting to keep things civil and talk face to face but the endless noise and parties over the Xmas period was the final straw.
Finally had to put in an official complaint but am now pretty edgy over if it was the correct decision as the family is fairly notorious in our area.

So have any of you been through similar, what were your experiences. We don’t want to be forced out but kind of feel we may have no choice.

Oh, indeed, I have had 'experiences' with nuisance neighbours, one to the point where I had to physically threaten the arsehole 'father' figure to either quieten things down, or I'd cave his face in.

Violence is never the recourse, in an ideal world, but this ilk really have no concept of decency or respect for other people.

Firstly, I would take a note of EVERY disturbance. Be thorough. Include times, etc.

Secondly, I would phone the council and ask for the environmental health to come round and get some evidence.

Lastly, be as cordial as possible to them, I know it's testing but hang in there.

Do not be afraid to stand up for yourself and your family, do so by bombarding the council with as many complaints as possible; if there are any repercussions, tell them to lay off or the Police will be involved.

Me personally, I find it difficult to tolerate nuisances of this nature. If you're more patient, you'll get the right outcome, mate.

Otis

One neighbour threatened to fire bomb our house and the three other houses either side too.

Besides that they are lovely.

Alkhen

Cheers man, we are logging everything and have been since we realized they were trouble. A diary of sorts was submitted to the council. Im just twitchy as I know for a fact this particular family are bad news and know some unsavory types. Im up for standing up for myself but am worried my wife and kids are a bit of a target once this gets out. There is literally no one else who could be complaining of noise as we are the end two houses of a cul-de-sac

Alkhen

Umm thanks for letting me know that! this is exactly the sort of shite I half expect them to threten, bleak situation

mechaishida

Cheers man, we are logging everything and have been since we realized they were trouble. A diary of sorts was submitted to the council. Im just twitchy as I know for a fact this particular family are bad news and know some unsavory types. Im up for standing up for myself but am worried my wife and kids are a bit of a target once this gets out. There is literally no one else who could be complaining of noise as we are the end two houses of a cul-de-sac

I know, it's a shit predicament to be in, I do empathise. I've been in two situations like this, one was quite serious and I lost my rag one night and drove my car through his lawn, aiming at him. I'm usually as laid back as anyone, but if someone is wronging me or my family, they'll get nightmares for a long time.

The only other alternative is to look for a move away...I know that's either impractical or a daunting prospect, but ultimately, it may be the last recourse. Have you tried approaching the housing dept' at the council to see what priority you'd be?

stoneroses85

I work in housing and sounds like a tough situation, keep a diary of times and number of disturbances , hammer the council will logs of noise complaints and this should be enough for environmental to get involved, they get recording gear in if required to prove it, you could also contact the council and ask to speak to housing officer who is responsible for that property as its council owned and they maybe able to address it too

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

I know it's not ideal, and you don't want to, but at least you have the advantage of renting, so can move out relatively quickly if needs be.

In fact if your landlord has been happily letting to you for 10 years, have you spoken to him? I doubt he'd be keen to lose his nice secure reliable tenant (especially with a diminished chance of getting another!)

Alkhen

We have registered our complaint, deatailed a few of the worst examples. I'm positive that they are breaking the tenancy with the number of people and definitely the number of pets. We will have to wait and see whilst hoping they don't get vengeful. Thanks for your reply

Mcbean

Good luck - we have an issue with low frequency noise from our neighbours house - that of course not everyone can hear - particularly the council people and the neighbours ! not sure whether to laugh or cry as the house is where we want to stay

Otis

Good luck - we have an issue with low frequency noise from our neighbours house - that of course not everyone can hear - particularly the council people and the neighbours ! not sure whether to laugh or cry as the house is where we want to stay

We're quite lucky really, though it may not sound it.

We have the neighbours across the road who threatened to fire bomb our house and our direct neighbours' houses too. The police have been out to them many, many times, so too the fire brigade. Noise disturbance too and some drug exchanges going on as well.

Next door to them is another family that have had the police out and then the other side of the fire bomber, the police have been out several times and there have been violent arguments and in family fighting.

The police have been called out to our neighbours two doors down on our side, twice and then three doors down on the other side twice too.

All this in one year!

Luckily though our immediate next door neighbour one side are a very quiet family, who have never been any trouble at all and on the other side we have a family of Christians, who are lovely, so we are mostly immune to the other side of the street. Our houses are bathed in sunshine, happiness and rainbows and the opposite side in darkness, fear and smog.

Otis

We're quite lucky really, though it may not sound it.

We have the neighbours across the road who threatened to fire bomb our house and our direct neighbours' houses too. The police have been out to them many, many times, so too the fire brigade. Noise disturbance too and some drug exchanges going on as well.

Next door to them is another family that have had the police out and then the other side of the fire bomber, the police have been out several times and there have been violent arguments and in family fighting.

The police have been called out to our neighbours two doors down on our side, twice and then three doors down on the other side twice too.

All this in one year!

Luckily though our immediate next door neighbour one side are a very quiet family, who have never been any trouble at all and on the other side we have a family of Christians, who are lovely, so we are mostly immune to the other side of the street. Our houses are bathed in sunshine, happiness and rainbows and the opposite side in darkness, fear and smog.

Was also going to add, not sure if it's just a coincidence or not, but all the houses on our side are all 'bought' private houses and the three troublesome houses over the other side are all Whitefriars or council housing. Whole row of houses the other side and only those three houses with any kind of trouble going on and all the others apart from those three I believe are private, owned houses too.

Just three housing association ones where all the trouble is coming from.

Last edited:

Seaside-Skyblue

I have had this experience and It can become so draining. In fact the neighbours are still there however after several visits around the house for a polite conversation, they seemed to have calmed down. They weren't working at the time either so felt that it was ok to party all night. You get to a point where you can't help but physically listen out for them constantly and any small noise becomes an irritation. I did also play the nice game and sent them a Christmas card with my name etc and a box of chocolates and it helped build a bit of a rapport (While holding my tongue as It was the last thing I wanted to do) but it seems to have helped dramatically and they seem to respect us more by keeping the noise down. Just a suggestion anyway.

Alkhen

Fully wrote out a reply and its disappeared from the thread?! Here's the basics.

We really dont want to be forced out of what we consider our family home. We have been tentatively looking in to buying it untill this kicked off.

Really bad timing to move as we just selected the school choices for our lad , we are in a great spot geographically to get him in the best in the district which is getting harder every year with more people applying than there are spaces.

Our landlady has been great. She contacted the council as soon as she heard they were causing us an issue. Unfortunately she said they were not too helpful and even a bit dismissive. Really feel for her as if we go she is going to struggle to attract tenants or buyers with all the mass and chaos next door.

Starting to feel like the council weighted towards keeping their tenants in a house and attempting long winded mediation and compromises.

Alkhen

I have had this experience and It can become so draining. In fact the neighbours are still there however after several visits around the house for a polite conversation, they seemed to have calmed down. They weren't working at the time either so felt that it was ok to party all night. You get to a point where you can't help but physically listen out for them constantly and any small noise becomes an irritation. I did also play the nice game and sent them a Christmas card with my name etc and a box of chocolates and it helped build a bit of a rapport (While holding my tongue as It was the last thing I wanted to do) but it seems to have helped dramatically and they seem to respect us more by keeping the noise down. Just a suggestion anyway.

We reallly did try initially, were friendly and helped them by lending tools when they first arrived. Over the six months things just got gradually worse. They just didn't respond to us being polite.

Over Xmas I lost my rag with them, banging drum and bass till late. Knocked on their door but youngest girl answered, asked them to turn it down . Went back around later and mum answered stinking of weed, now I'm no saint but it not cool in my book with kids scurrying around. Anyhow I said that I work full time and that time off work is precious to me and might have implied that she is always off and she needs to respect others, she took it terribly. Ahh well

Covstu

feel your pain, we had two instances of this.
1) when we were in rented, a young girl moved in next door. Didn't work and played loud music all night. We had to keep going round there. Thankfully this only lasted a few months as she clearly didn't pay bills.
2) in our house we own now, there is a rented property next door. Being close to cov uni it's normally students that populate but they put a load of random non students who just used it as a drug den and a party house. It was 6 months of hell. Complaints to the rental company were being ignored, they did turn music down but it was 6 months of broken sleep so you just felt shit constantly. Thankfully we have Japanese students in there, despite sounding like they are killing each other it's relatively quiet although they don't seem to sleep!

my advise is just keep complaining on EVERY instance you get, the council will soon get very fed up with you and start to do something via their housing officers.

mrtrench

We had bad problems with a neighbour after we were first married. We lived in a council house and half the street was council houses including the neighbouring one. When the old lady living next door died they moved in a family of three. The woman was awful. She used to stand by her front door (with it closed) and shout expletives constantly at anyone who was outside. We had a 4 year old daughter and we didn't want her subjected to it - it also affected us as we couldn't even go into the garden without her starting up.

The house and the family also smelled so bad you could smell it from the street.

Most of the street complained but the council refused to move her because she was a known problem and it was part of their policy to mix problem families in the community. Eventually we left but felt guilty about whoever would move in next.

mechaishida

Yep, the basic consensus is to make an absolute nuisance of yourself in order to get a favourable outcome. Although this is a travesty, it's the norm.

chiefdave

Used to live in a flat and it was fine for years until the council decided to rent it and placed a stereotypical 'chav' couple in there. They would have massive fights (police were called on more than one occasion), had blood down the shared hallway one morning, shared front door got smashed in.

Pretty sure they were drug dealing from there the number of people who were coming and going at all hours of the night. They'd also hang around in the hallway and leave their rubbish lying around (empty beer cans etc).

Worst of all they would, for some strange reason, play Cotten Eye Joe on repeat for hours on end and ear bleeding volume in the middle of the night. 4am was an early finish.

For once Portsmouth Council were pretty good. Logged it with them and got the standard reply, keep a diary etc and a mobile number to call out of hours so they could come round and hear it for themselves.

Next time it happened we called and they came straight round (think we were lucky as they only have one team so you have to catch them when they have no other calls). When they got to my flat they said they didn't even need to come in as they could hear it clearly from where they had parked down the street! After that they got rid of them of them pretty quickly which was handy. Not sure what I would have done if they hadn't as it was driving me mad.

Skinnythebear

Wait till they are out and kick the fucking back door in.
Trash the place and let the pets out in the street.
Take all the electrical appliances so they can't play any music.
Make sure you don't keep hold of any stuff so you can't be caught.
They are obviously scum bags without insurance so they will take time to buy more stuff.
You may need to do this a couple of times but they will soon move out

Captain Dart

Wait till they are out and kick the fucking back door in.
Trash the place and let the pets out in the street.
Take all the electrical appliances so they can't play any music.
Make sure you don't keep hold of any stuff so you can't be caught.
They are obviously scum bags without insurance so they will take time to buy more stuff.
You may need to do this a couple of times but they will soon move out

Or they may lie in ambush and catch you trashing their pigsty then they'll f**k you up good & proper.

mechaishida

So .... become a nuisance neighbour? ;)

In fact, I've already started. The git next door with the solar-strength security light is coming home to find at least 20 collected dog craps lining his flower beds. Next, I'm going to down a can of wicked-strength Oranjeboom and stand in my front garden, loudly singing Dance tracks from 1995 and viciously threatening anyone that walks by.

I'd be arrested and jailed in minutes, knowing my feckin' luck.

bringbackrattles

I'm going through the same shit as you and have mentioned it on here before. I live in a smallish block of flats in Bell Green and you name it we've had it here,one murder,one attempted murder,fires,fights,and youths using it as a youth club, enough has gone on in the block to write a best selling crime novel ! It's now owned by Whitefriars instead of the council but they're just as bad as they were,all gob and no action.Don't get me wrong there's some good people in the block,but sadly a few scumbags who's life revolves around drugs and parties and anti-social behavior,which they see as how to live and all the rest of us are miserable bastards.Anyway I've finally had enough and looking for a move away, but that's proving hard as unless I get a big win on the lottery it looks like I'll be moving to a similar situation,as you usually get like for like ? I used to live in a nice part of Walsgrave where I grew up and would like to get back there,but there's so much anti-social crap about these days the only peace you'd get is to live on a desert island somewhere !

Otis

I'm going through the same shit as you and have mentioned it on here before. I live in a smallish block of flats in Bell Green and you name it we've had it here,one murder,one attempted murder,fires,fights,and youths using it as a youth club, enough has gone on in the block to write a best selling crime novel ! It's now owned by Whitefriars instead of the council but they're just as bad as they were,all gob and no action.Don't get me wrong there's some good people in the block,but sadly a few scumbags who's life revolves around drugs and parties and anti-social behavior,which they see as how to live and all the rest of us are miserable bastards.Anyway I've finally had enough and looking for a move away, but that's proving hard as unless I get a big win on the lottery it looks like I'll be moving to a similar situation,as you usually get like for like ? I used to live in a nice part of Walsgrave where I grew up and would like to get back there,but there's so much anti-social crap about these days the only peace you'd get is to live on a desert island somewhere !
Or live with Grendel in one of his many outbuildings. His servants will look after you I'm sure.

chiefdave

I'm going through the same shit as you and have mentioned it on here before. I live in a smallish block of flats in Bell Green and you name it we've had it here,one murder,one attempted murder,fires,fights,and youths using it as a youth club, enough has gone on in the block to write a best selling crime novel !

I know there's always been areas that are better than others but it was never as bad as it is now was it? Wonder if its down to a reluctance to step in these days? Not that I blame anyone when there's every chance of getting knifed over the slightest little thing.

Otis

I know there's always been areas that are better than others but it was never as bad as it is now was it? Wonder if its down to a reluctance to step in these days? Not that I blame anyone when there's every chance of getting knifed over the slightest little thing.
Cuts to services must be a contributing factor mustn't it?

bringbackrattles

In most case there are just two options:

1) Begin a feud that will last for years and even if you eventually win the misery endured in the meantime won't have been worth it.

2) Move.
A mate of mine couldn't believe all the crap we've had to endure here in the flats,and reckoned he'd sort it out easily etc. Lo and behold he then went through it himself and nearly cracked up with the stress.It is widespread everywhere,even my sister who lives in a nice rural part of Leicestershire has had crap too with rubbishy neighbours.No real answer to it is there ?

RegTheDonk

A mate of mine couldn't believe all the crap we've had to endure here in the flats,and reckoned he'd sort it out easily etc. Lo and behold he then went through it himself and nearly cracked up with the stress.It is widespread everywhere,even my sister who lives in a nice rural part of Leicestershire has had crap too with rubbishy neighbours.No real answer to it is there ?

Its all very well to play the big man when it isn't your problem. A few people would say they would sort it, some may even act on those words - maybe these scum bags can't cope with it being dished back, they are so used to people putting up with their nonsense through fear. But action potentially it gets you locked up (typical!), or subject to reprisal which you can never predict: car smashed up, windows put through, general abuse of your wife and kids.

You are right, there is no real answer other than (I guess) reporting it to the council and hope they will sort it out quickly, without any backlash. Shame it's not more old school, you'd tell the old bill who would take them for a "ride" and it would all stop.

Users who are viewing this thread