Another Wasps payday bonanza.. (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

..so it appears..

Coventry's Ricoh Arena will play host to international rugby league for the first time later this year when it hosts two 2016 Four Nations games.

The 32,609-seater venue, which is home to Wasps and Coventry City, will stage a double-header on Saturday, November 5, with England taking on Scotland at 5.30pm, followed by a repeat of the 2014 final when Australia face New Zealand at 8pm.

More..
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ional-rugby-league-heading-coventrys-11223376

CCFC88

I'll be going to this! The best two RL sides in the world facing off in Coventry, yes please!

Terry Gibson's perm

..so it appears..

Only if anybody goes I shall be going to a firework display. It has surprised me as I thought the way they were talking they had the whole event here not just two games.

I don't know much about this sport but would it be safe to say it doesn't have a massive local following as it is a double header?

Grendel

Nice to see the Wasps PR is still working it had gone a bit quiet for a bit.

chiefdave

Telegraph claiming it to be the highest level sporting event at the Ricoh. Have they forgotten about the Olympics?

Odd that the pitch will be OK for this but when we want to play extra games at the Ricoh we get told it will cause issues with the pitch :thinking about:

chiefdave

I don't know much about this sport but would it be safe to say it doesn't have a massive local following as it is a double header?

Didn't even know there was such a thing as the Four Nations to be honest. Quick google shows the last time this was held here Aus v NZ had an attendance of 12K and Eng v Wales (who Scotland seem to have replaced) was 10K.

Of course I'm sure it was a huge boost to the Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington and Leigh Sports Village. Wasps have done well to compete with such massive internationally renowned venues.

Grendel

Lol - Council Darts spin is going very wrong.

Terry Gibson's perm

Didn't even know there was such a thing as the Four Nations to be honest. Quick google shows the last time this was held here Aus v NZ had an attendance of 12K and Eng v Wales (who Scotland seem to have replaced) was 10K.

Of course I'm sure it was a huge boost to the Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington and Leigh Sports Village. Wasps have done well to compete with such massive internationally renowned venues.

I have seen the Leigh sports village a very tidy set up, will be a sell/giveaway out at the Ricoh ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

Go to Brandon instead to watch the Stock cars on the same night or a firework display

Terry Gibson's perm

They were showing that live on TV the other night from Brandon. Isn't everyone getting kicked out of there soon so it can be redeveloped?

I think it is the last night of the stock cars there, I say I will go to Brandon every year to watch the speedway but haven't made it yet so i guess this year is my last chance.

Shame it is being redeveloped.

SkyBlueHomer

Great news, got 6 tickets at 9am this morning. Rugby League needs promoting in this area & hopefully it'll pay off for Cov Bears as well.
£20 for 2 games, with best 2 in the world facing each other as well is cracking value

SkyBlueHomer

What is the difference between League and Union?

At the risk of being hammered think an Entertaining version of Union.

Seriously though, League is much more about tries where Union seems a more kicking game, could go into pages of details.
Best idea sit down in front of Skysports watch a few games, St Helens v Leeds tonight.

italiahorse

With my new found knowledge I will help.

RL is the same as RU but when you tackle you don't stay on the ground you stand up and play it backwards with your foot to a player.
I think you can do that 6 times and then you have to either have scored or lost the ball.

It's more visual as you can see the ball all the time.
Simple football folk like us will understand it better.

Oh yea car parking is slightly cheaper !! :whistle:

Nick

Administrator

RL is the same as RU but when you tackle you don't stay on the ground you stand up and play it backwards with your foot to a player.
I think you can do that 6 times and then you have to either have scored or lost the ball.

So you don't have the ruck thing when somebody goes down?

Terry Gibson's perm

Oh yea car parking is slightly cheaper !! :whistle:[/QUOT

about time Nick started charging you for you adverts on here Italia;)

Moff

The difference is league is a poor substitute.

It constantly involves soemone lying on top of the person tackled after the tackle, and the ref shouting at them to get off. The 6 tackle rule is just repetitive as it forces the team to kick at the end of each tackle if they arent near the line, rather than the attack keep flowing like in Union, and they work their way to the line.

To say its more visual is a gross exageration. I think you will find their are often as many tries in Union games than league.

I think the fact it will be at the Ricoh is more down to Legaue trying to get more fans outside the North west and Yorkshire rather than some major coup on the part of ACL.

italiahorse

To say its more visual is a gross exageration. I think you will find their are often as many tries in Union games than league.

I say that because fans can see where the ball is most the time.
In the scrum it is difficult for fans to see what is going on and penalties are not always obvious to fans (or players sometimes)

It's only my opinion based on only a couple of years of watching so I'm no expert (Like I am at football :whistle:)

Moff

I say that because fans can see where the ball is most the time.
In the scrum it is difficult for fans to see what is going on and penalties are not always obvious to fans (or players sometimes)

It's only my opinion based on only a couple of years of watching so I'm no expert (Like I am at football :whistle:)

Apologies, I know its all down to personal opinion, and I was trying to put my thoughts down, not attack yours.

I used to quite like league, but it doesnt seem to have moved on over the years, whereas Union I feel has developed and I enjoy Union a lot more now.

CCFC88

Apologies, I know its all down to personal opinion, and I was trying to put my thoughts down, not attack yours.

I used to quite like league, but it doesnt seem to have moved on over the years, whereas Union I feel has developed and I enjoy Union a lot more now.

I enjoy both, I think Union at an International especially in the northern hemisphere is slow and predicatble with long periods of "setting up" and the kicks take so long to take. The southern hemishpere, Super Rugby and the international side tend to be much more free flowing and does appear to have an influence of Rugby League in it.

I find Super League much more exciting, no scrums so they just get on with the game, penalties are quite obvious and its a relatively easy sport to watch and understand. They very rarely kick penalties aswell as the scoring is less rewarding for a penalty as in union.

Been to a lot of Leeds Rhinos games including the grand final and Super League finals at Wembley and OT respectively last season and the action is just more intense due to the fewer stops in play compared to Union. In my opinion obivously.

Calista

Telegraph claiming it to be the highest level sporting event at the Ricoh. Have they forgotten about the Olympics?

The Telegraph says "It will be the highest level of the sport to be played in the city", so I presume they mean Rugby League, or maybe Rugby as a whole? Can't help thinking that some people keep looking for spin when it isn't there.

SkyBlueHomer

I find Super League much more exciting, no scrums so they just get on with the game, penalties are quite obvious and its a relatively easy sport to watch and understand. They very rarely kick penalties aswell as the scoring is less rewarding for a penalty as in union.

Been to a lot of Leeds Rhinos games including the grand final and Super League finals at Wembley and OT respectively last season and the action is just more intense due to the fewer stops in play compared to Union. In my opinion obivously.

Same here, I used to prefer Union but after met the other half, I was introduced to League & found it a more entertaining sport.

Lucky enough to get tickets for last years Grand Final, before you ask we lost....

SkyBlueHomer

The Telegraph says "It will be the highest level of the sport to be played in the city", so I presume they mean Rugby League, or maybe Rugby as a whole? Can't help thinking that some people keep looking for spin when it isn't there.

Suppose if you take it in its literal form, you have England + Australia & New Zealand who are currently the best 2 teams in the world, yes it is the highest level

Marty

Will definitely go to this, love watching league. Never been to a live game before.

James Smith

One is a dull and tedious sport played by the Toffs; the other is played by whippet owners who wear flat caps.

No idea if that's true but it's funny.

Users who are viewing this thread