Another good read (1 Viewer)

robbiethemole

It’s fascinating how football can adjust mass psychology, almost instantaneously. Franck’s goal seemed to cause such a rush of positivity amongst City fans this weekend. It clearly doesn’t fix the issues many of us are facing, but for a few hours (or well into Sunday evening at least), there was something else to focus on. Let’s face it, if he’d not slammed it home emotions would have been quite different. That’s football, but it’s also a sign of the terrific job the team is doing in masking the upset the stadium argument is causing. It’s the sort of incident and sort of goal which leaves you bursting for the next game to come along.
Only for us, the next game is Arsenal away on Friday. Yes, unfortunately we’re back to being annoyed again.
I want you for a minute to forget the fact that it’s been moved to Friday. I want you to forget that it’s being shown on BT Sport. I want you to even forget the complexity and contradictions surrounding the Not One Penny More campaign at the moment. At its core, for many, many Coventry City fans this game was another MK Dons occasion. This game presented another opportunity to join together as a group and display solidarity in huge numbers.
We know what we’re like when the big games come along. We go mental over them; lapping up the idea of demonstrating the strength and volume of support we can generate when the situation calls for it.
But it seems the full weight of that opportunity this Friday has been diluted in a baffling sequence of decision-making from those in charge. For simplicity’s sake I’ll identify them as Sisu, mainly because that name has long since become synonymous with those people running the club. They’re also the individuals in charge of relocating us to Northampton – and they appear to have made another dreadful call this week.
In short, they have rejected the full allocation of tickets for the Arsenal game, leaving a huge chunk of fans unable to attend.
In the interests of fairness, first let’s address some of the difficulties the club will have faced. Yes – it would appear they were backed into this call by a deadline imposed by Arsenal, and yes, taking the tickets would have placed them at a financial risk if they’d not sold them all. But even taking those issues in consideration it’s hard to accept the logic they have used to explain this decision.
The club’s defence for rejecting the extra allocation was:
Given that currently just over 1,000 tickets have been sold from the club’s initial allocation of 5,100, the fact that the game is being broadcast live on TV on a Friday night, and the immediate demand for tickets from home fans the decision has been made not to take up the additional 3,500 tickets.
Don’t get me wrong, 5,100 is a decent figure for almost any away day following. But didn’t we we take 9k to the Emirates last season, on a Tuesday night, even though we were playing atrociously? Didn’t we take 10k to Old Trafford on another Tuesday night league cup tie? Didn’t we fill Spurs like a bunch of lunatics, even though it was clear we were going to get a tonking? And didn’t we take 7k to MK Dons this season even though we’re in the midst of the biggest supporter crisis this club has ever known?
We filled the allocation for all of these games – there’s a strong likelihood we would have sold it this time too. I’ve had this discussion with many of you already and I know some have made the point that the club were asked to make an unreasonable call by Arsenal, but the crux of the annoyance stems from them actually making this decision based on the sales from such a small proportion of fans. Current season ticket holders.
Being generous, there can’t be many more than 1500 at the current moment in time. Surely that’s no sample to make this decision on?
Can we really expect that deadline to have been thrust upon them at short notice? Surely they would have known it was coming, and if that was the case, why couldn’t they have opened up general ticket sales sooner than they did, if only to allow them to make an educated assessment on the demand from their entire fan base? This would have ensured all fans would have been given the opportunity to stake they intentions.
You simply cannot make a fair assessment of requirement based on selling 1000 tickets to the sample of 1000-1500 fans at Sixfields. That is outrageous in the current climate. The true demand could have only been gauged once making them open to all fans – which the club failed to do before that deadline, and as a result they have failed the fans once again.
There’s a tendency at the moment to align any comment or opinion we make as being pro-Sisu, or pro-ACL – but in this case, this isn’t about picking and choosing between the sides. This is the club once again proving they’ve lost sight of the current situation, and have lost sight of who the fans are. We acknowledge there is a horrible sense of division amongst us at the moment, meaning this season is very different to others. Each individual has made a call as to their stance, but the purchase of season ticket cannot be used as a distinction in “loyalty” here. Some of the most loyal fans we have are not season ticket holders this year. That’s not a fair criteria.
Looking at this as objectively as I can, on the one hand you’ve got what feels like a poorly-judged, albeit tough business decision, but at its worst this could be interpreted as a cheap swipe at those who have decided to protest against Northampton with their feet. Much like the opening stadium forum, fans who can’t/won’t attend Sixfields were also the ones who were being treated differently by the club as they assigned a hierarchy of priority.
I could really drift off on a tangent, but the crucial point here is that there were 8600 tickets available for the game this Friday, and these tickets should have been made available to all fans before making any decision, not just season ticket holders. Whether you believe the club has made a bad call or Arsenal put them under unnecessary pressure, many fans who wanted to go to this match are now unable to go. This was further proved by the full 5k-ish allocation selling out almost immediately once they were placed on general sale at 9.30 on Saturday morning.
People wonder why fans are angry at Sisu/the club and find the negative in everything they do, but even if you can accept the current situation with the stadium as being hugely difficult for them to navigate, our time with these owners is littered with incidents like this. Decisions made with little foresight, and little acknowledgement and understanding towards the feelings of fans. This time, if they’d just taken on board the predicament not playing at the Ricoh has caused, they could have managed this differently, and I’m certain more successfully.
But they haven’t. They’ve made a call which impacts on many of the fans more that it does them. Hard call or not, I struggle to accept that they were in a position to make the decision they did, and with the financial windfall they’re about to make from this match and the information they should have gathered by now about the type of supporters we have at this club, I feel strongly that they have made the wrong one.
This match was for Coventry City fans to come together again like we did the other month against MK Dons, but that opportunity has been taken away from 3,500 of us, before we’d even had a chance to prove our desire to go.
Dispute the difficulty, and dispute the risk, but as far as the fairness goes – that’s not up for debate. Those seats were ours.

The obvious reason for not taking the full allocation is SISU don't want a unified fan base chanting "nasty" things against them on telly,

Covlad65

apart from some of the facts being wrong.......We took just under 7000 to Arsenal last year not 9,000...we took 12,000 to man u not 10,000 and there is no way we would take 8,000 to Arsenal this Friday evening considering there are still a few tickets left this morning from the initial 5,100

TheUKGryphon

there is no way we would take 8,000 to Arsenal this Friday evening considering there are still a few tickets left this morning from the initial 5,100

There at NO tickets left. They sold out in 12 minutes when the shop on opened on Saturday. Even the club had officially confirmed this.

This has been another SISU/Otium disaster and confirms to all that they are so out of touch with the fans. Even more than even I thought possible.

AndreasB

Sorry, bit confused. Did the club not operate a policy of offering the balance of the tickets to people with ticket stubs from cup/away games - ie people who had demonstrated support (whether or not NOPM)

Seems to me like they got it right - only people to miss out were the people who only go to the one game a season when we draw a big team.

kdrinkell

I really do believe whoever made the call to not bother with the full quota thought fuck em,they have seen the 7k at MK Dons and thought naaaa your not all going to the Emirates having a good time and stopped it.
The decision making by them has and is still a joke,even the faceless suits in the financial world must raise an eyebrow to how they have conducted themselves since the 'move' and think what the hell are they doing.

pusbccfc

apart from some of the facts being wrong.......We took just under 7000 to Arsenal last year not 9,000...we took 12,000 to man u not 10,000 and there is no way we would take 8,000 to Arsenal this Friday evening considering there are still a few tickets left this morning from the initial 5,100

We took just under 8000 last time to Arsenal.

italiahorse

Sorry, bit confused. Did the club not operate a policy of offering the balance of the tickets to people with ticket stubs from cup/away games - ie people who had demonstrated support (whether or not NOPM)

Seems to me like they got it right - only people to miss out were the people who only go to the one game a season when we draw a big team.

The same people we need to encourage to fill the stadium when we are back in the higher leagues. (Subject to a limit of 12,000 in the new stadium)

Are you saying these people don't deserve to come?

italiahorse

I really do believe whoever made the call to not bother with the full quota thought fuck em,they have seen the 7k at MK Dons and thought naaaa your not all going to the Emirates having a good time and stopped it.
The decision making by them has and is still a joke,even the faceless suits in the financial world must raise an eyebrow to how they have conducted themselves since the 'move' and think what the hell are they doing.

I would have preferred the season ticket holders to have first pick on day one, anyone with a home/away ticket day 2/3, decision made on allocation on day 3 and day 4 onwards general sale.

AndreasB

The same people we need to encourage to fill the stadium when we are back in the higher leagues. (Subject to a limit of 12,000 in the new stadium)

Yes, if they cant be arsed to go to other games - the whole point of showing some loyalty to the club in the early rounds is the reward of being guaranteed a ticket for glamour games like this - if there was a bit more of this pressure then we may actually see more people go to other games - and i dont mean sixfields - that should not be used to penalise people.There were plenty more tickets avaialble for Barnsley away, it was a Saturday afternoon and not bad trip . seem to remember a lot of "fuck the cup" sentiments on here pre that game...

SIR ERNIE

100% correct. Does anyone seriously believe SISU didn't look at this and say: 'shit, live coverage and 8,000 travelling cov fans, the media will make a big story about it being 4x the home gate. MKD was bad enough, this would be 10 x worse. we've got to limit the bad PR here'.

Astute

We wouldn't need to be in a higher division. We just need to be playing in Coventry and not in Northampton.

Maybe they decided not to have the full allocation of tickets when they saw there will be some sort of protest at the game. Not having our fans in the ground is the only way they could stop a protest at the Emirates. And they couldn't say they don't want any tickets.

TheUKGryphon

Dear Tim/Mark/Steve/Joy or whoever andreasB actually is,

The club gauged the entire demand based on sales from season ticket holders only. Without a thought or care to the other Cov fans who for what ever reason, will not or cannot go to sixfingers. And as for your ludicrous statement that the club got it right as the people who only go to one big game a season are the only one's missing out, Wtf? Are you the ticket police now. It is not down to you to decide who deserves a ticket and who doesn't. Some people just like being twats on public forums. This is not the first time we've gone toe to toe on here, so I guess you're one if them.

CovFan

Ridiculous of the club to decide to refrain from asking for more tickets while tickets were only on sale to a small amount of fans.

AndreasB

Dear Tim/Mark/Steve/Joy or whoever andreasB actually is,

The club gauged the entire demand based on sales from season ticket holders only. Without a thought or care to the other Cov fans who for what ever reason, will not or cannot go to sixfingers. And as for your ludicrous statement that the club got it right as the people who only go to one big game a season are the only one's missing out, Wtf? Are you the ticket police now. It is not down to you to decide who deserves a ticket and who doesn't. Some people just like being twats on public forums. This is not the first time we've gone toe to toe on here, so I guess you're one if them.

Yes it is down to real fans to decide. SixFINGERS LOL.

Astute

Yes, if they cant be arsed to go to other games - the whole point of showing some loyalty to the club in the early rounds is the reward of being guaranteed a ticket for glamour games like this - if there was a bit more of this pressure then we may actually see more people go to other games - and i dont mean sixfields - that should not be used to penalise people.There were plenty more tickets avaialble for Barnsley away, it was a Saturday afternoon and not bad trip . seem to remember a lot of "fuck the cup" sentiments on here pre that game...

So shift workers that work most weekends are not proper fans?

mighty quinn

Your so out of touch .just like them complete idiots (sisu) you have just wrongly defended.

spwaverley4916

Arsenal didn't put pressure on the decision of allocation - the request was made by CCFC for the minimum amount (normal segregation I would suggest). Under FA rules timescale for request is quite clear.
-21. DISTRIBUTION OF TICKETS (a) All Rounds Preceding the Semi-Finals
In all matches preceding the Semi-Finals, the Visiting Club shall have the right to claim up
to 15% of all accommodation for which tickets are issued providing these tickets are in a
fully segregated area, and subject to the following regulations:
(i) The request for tickets shall be made within two days of the draw.
(ii) The tickets allotted to the Visiting Club, if numbered and reserved, must be of equal
value to those retained by the Home Club.
(iii) In cases of replays, the Club playing away in the replay must make a request for
tickets prior to the original match in order to ensure that the replay tickets are in the
possession of the club playing away in the replay at the latest immediately on
conclusion of the original match.
(iv) The Visiting Club shall be responsible for the payment of all tickets asked for and
allotted, unless otherwise agreed between the Clubs in writing with a copy sent to The
Association. All questions in dispute shall immediately be referred to The Association.
(v) The Visiting Club should settle with the Home Club for sales of tickets on or before
the day of the match.
(vi) Any tickets not sold by the Visiting Club should be returned to the Home Club with
their statement of tickets sales.
(vii) In the Competition Proper, a Visiting Club shall be entitled to one third of the seats
usually reserved and known as “Home and Visiting Directors’ Seats” up to a
maximum of 24 seats.
(viii) Where disabled facilities are provided, a Visiting Club shall have the right to claim up
to 15% of this accommodation.
(ix) Where it is deemed desirable, the Professional Game Board shall have the right to
vary the allocation of tickets to the Visiting Club, or require a match to be made all
ticket.

covmark

Sixfingers lol that is a winner take a bow Gryphon
No, it's just another pathetic nickname to add to the many others. As for the ticket allocation, what do you expect when fans are blithering on about nopm, and whinging that the game has been moved to Friday night. Can't have it both ways just because a game against arsenal is upon us.

Bill Glazier

It's simple. Sisu didn't want a big demonstration against them and, as all the tickets would sell anyway to arsenal fans and they'd get their percentage, they didn't care. Remember, if you ever wonder why Sisu make the decisions they do - follow the money.

Astute

No, it's just another pathetic nickname to add to the many others. As for the ticket allocation, what do you expect when fans are blithering on about nopm, and whinging that the game has been moved to Friday night. Can't have it both ways just because a game against arsenal is upon us.

So the majority of our fans shouldn't have the chance of going because some of our fans moan?

skybluetony176

and these people don't deserve the opportunity to buy a ticket, why?

you keep bleating on about sixfielders being judged but you are happy to judge another section of fans, hypocrite.

Ashdown1

The City can still give me a buzz and always will when they succeed. We were driving back through Ball Hill having watched Cov Rugby getting battered by Blaydon and with realisation that once again this season the team are probably not going to make it out of this league. CWR on the radio and with City losing as well it wasn't looking great for Saturday night when....................Wallop, goal, cue celebration in the car, the later shoppers looked at us like we had gone mad !! PUSB !

covmark

So the majority of our fans shouldn't have the chance of going because some of our fans moan?
There was a mixture of fans saying either nopm or they are not going because the game was moved, sisu probably thought they wouldn't sell. I don't get the theory that they don't want 8000 there because of a mass protest on the tv. I'm sure the 5000 can do a decent enough job. Not everything is a sisu conspiracy, I swear if someone posted in here, sisu shot JFK, the majority would believe it.

AndreasB

It's simple. Sisu didn't want a big demonstration against them and, as all the tickets would sell anyway to arsenal fans and they'd get their percentage, they didn't care. Remember, if you ever wonder why Sisu make the decisions they do - follow the money.

yeah its all a big conspiracy aint it

and you say HIS facts are wrong!

Arsenal full allocation sold last year = 8600
Man Utd = 13000
We would easily have sold out for Arsenal if our owners were not so spiteful against Coventry City fans.

hill83

Under normal circumstances I'd be laughing because a few part timers didn't get tickets for their big day out and their Arsenal fan mates. (I know of 4 Arsenal 'supporters' from Cov who are going)
But with things as they are this is another error by the club. Put the tickets on sale to everybody from the start and we sell out. No question.

AndreasB

and these people don't deserve the opportunity to buy a ticket, why?

you keep bleating on about sixfielders being judged but you are happy to judge another section of fans, hypocrite.

Im alwayshappy to judge fans who dont go to games as less of a fan than me or you . Thats been our problem through the years. The week after the Arsenal cup game 2 years ago the Ricoh was deserted. I would have made em buy another ticket as well if they were going to Arsenal - "home" or away.

Sky Blue Kid

robbiethemole............The obvious reason for not taking the full allocation is SISU don't want a unified fan base chanting "nasty" things against them on telly,.............................................................................................Absolutely spot on Robbie............As for you Andreasb...They've even s**t on the fans that DO GO to Sixfields..Approx 1k STH's, 200, maybe 300 pay on the gate..These 200/300 have been S**t on from a great height mate. STH's allocated 1 ticket for themself and 4 extra. If all allocated are taken up, when I went to school makes 5k

AndreasB

robbiethemole............The obvious reason for not taking the full allocation is SISU don't want a unified fan base chanting "nasty" things against them on telly,.............................................................................................Absolutely spot on Robbie............As for you Andreasb...They've even s**t on the fans that DO GO to Sixfields..Approx 1k STH's, 200, maybe 300 pay on the gate..These 200/300 have been S**t on from a great height mate. STH's allocated 1 ticket for themself and 4 extra. If all allocated are taken up, when I went to school makes 5k

Plenty of tickets for those who had ticket stubs....

hill83

Don't think there is any conspiracy though. It's not Sherlock for fuck sake. They are just a massive set of thick cunts.

blueflint

Im alwayshappy to judge fans who dont go to games as less of a fan than me or you . Thats been our problem through the years. The week after the Arsenal cup game 2 years ago the Ricoh was deserted. I would have made em buy another ticket as well if they were going to Arsenal - "home" or away.

you must be the biggest moron on the planet some of us support cov as and when we can we don't all live local.some of us can only get to the odd game because of traveling distance and you say we don't deserve a ticket and were not proper fans DO ONE PLEASE

Users who are viewing this thread