Another bumper Ricoh crowd expected for Wasps' home game against Sale Sharks (1 Viewer)

Raggs

Just to add, there are 2 (sort of 3) tiers to the european cup, so even if we do not make 6th or better, there will still be fixtures, just less conveniently timed and less likely to be on TV. Definitely a loss of funds through multiple streams, but not simply nothing.

Nick

Administrator
Think you fellas are lost, although you are quite welcome to the Swindon game at The Ricoh ;)

ccfcway

I am amazed at some of the social media comments about Wasps from locals....

I read several comments yesterday including...

"i am loving be a new wasps fan, atmosphere was great"

"why didnt i get into rugby years ago"

"Wasps are my new team"

Its truely bizarre to me that people can jump on this so quickly, but each to their own i suppose.

One thing that was intersting is many comments along the lines of....

"I must add a word of thanks to the people of Coventry for their help and warm welcome"

Nick

Administrator
I am amazed at some of the social media comments about Wasps from locals....

I read several comments yesterday including...

"i am loving be a new wasps fan, atmosphere was great"

"why didnt i get into rugby years ago"

"Wasps are my new team"

Its truely bizarre to me that people can jump on this so quickly, but each to their own i suppose.

One thing that was intersting is many comments along the lines of....

"I must add a word of thanks to the people of Coventry for their help and warm welcome"

You must have missed the guy who was posting "fuckoffwasps" when they came in (because everybody else was) but now has black and gold blood ;)

You have got to remember a large % of these will be just on about it because it is the "in thing", the same as posting the same thing over and over and over about SISU.

A lot of these people will have gone full circle from loving SISU, loving Hoffman and Elliott when they went, hating SISU, being outraged about us being moved, hating "franchising", loving wasps.

The new in thing is saying that it is ok because Rugby is "different".

It is interesting to look at their other views, I bet you a fiver most of them are passionately "SISU OUT", NOPM or have some sort of dodgy photoshopped sisu out image or tick list about SISU....

singers_pore

I'm not sure how anyone can say that there was a great atmosphere for wasps first game. I watched on TV and the crowd were VERY quiet, so much so you could hear the players' voices. If its that quiet with 28,000 then just imagine what it will be like in a few weeks time when the crowds are down to 7,000.

bargepole

I'm not sure how anyone can say that there was a great atmosphere for wasps first game. I watched on TV and the crowd were VERY quiet, so much so you could hear the players' voices. If its that quiet with 28,000 then just imagine what it will be like in a few weeks time when the crowds are down to 7,000.
Don't know about the 7,000 figure, it certainly won't drop that far, we're picking up lots of new supporters from the local area, including CCFC fans.

As far as crowd noise goes, there is a big difference in culture between football and rugby crowds. I've been to the odd Wycombe Wanderers game at Adams park, and there the away fans are herded into a segregated stand, with raucous chanting and thinly veiled hatred for the opposition present throughout the 90 minutes. At Wasps games there was none of that, and you could quite easily find yourself sitting next to an opposition supporter, and having a bit of banter and a chat. The only time it gets loud is when a player is sprinting for the tryline.

The fact that you can take a pint of beer to your seat at a rugby game, which you can't at football, underlines the difference. (Always assuming you can actually get a pint, which is something Wasps need to address urgently at the Ricoh).

martcov

Probably would be better if you supported Wasps the Rugby Team, not half as interesting as the politics though is it? Who needs the actual sport? ;)

You contradict yourself. It certainly would not be half as interesting as following SISU owned CCFC and so therefore I would gain nothing by supporting a rugby team that I don't know. I'll stick to CCFC - politics 'n all. As regards the actual sport, I hope that I can actually see CCFC in action as soon as next week without leaving Germany. Great - politics and sport, Wasps can never beat that. PUSB!

ccfcway

. (Always assuming you can actually get a pint, which is something Wasps need to address urgently at the Ricoh).

Funny, for CCFC it was.....

(Always assuming we can actually get the Ricoh, which is something we needed to address urgently then have a pint)

martcov

You must have missed the guy who was posting "fuckoffwasps" when they came in (because everybody else was) but now has black and gold blood ;)

You have got to remember a large % of these will be just on about it because it is the "in thing", the same as posting the same thing over and over and over about SISU.

A lot of these people will have gone full circle from loving SISU, loving Hoffman and Elliott when they went, hating SISU, being outraged about us being moved, hating "franchising", loving wasps.

The new in thing is saying that it is ok because Rugby is "different".

It is interesting to look at their other views, I bet you a fiver most of them are passionately "SISU OUT", NOPM or have some sort of dodgy photoshopped sisu out image or tick list about SISU....

I think it says it all when you have to deride the enthusiasm as being the "in thing". The problem is not that Wasps are the "in thing", but that CCFC are the "out thing". That is what needs to be addressed and some will have to admit their failings, whilst others will have to recognise that they are blinkered and cannot see the obvious - instead of just decrying others for being positive about Wasps.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Don't know about the 7,000 figure, it certainly won't drop that far, we're picking up lots of new supporters from the local area, including CCFC fans.
Makes you proud does it trying to steal another clubs fan base?
As far as crowd noise goes, there is a big difference in culture between football and rugby crowds. I've been to the odd Wycombe Wanderers game at Adams park, and there the away fans are herded into a segregated stand, with raucous chanting and thinly veiled hatred for the opposition present throughout the 90 minutes. At Wasps games there was none of that, and you could quite easily find yourself sitting next to an opposition supporter, and having a bit of banter and a chat. The only time it gets loud is when a player is sprinting for the tryline.

The fact that you can take a pint of beer to your seat at a rugby game, which you can't at football, underlines the difference. (Always assuming you can actually get a pint, which is something Wasps need to address urgently at the Ricoh).

Will be less than 10k soon it seem, I expected 20k yesterday with all the free tickets going around so doesn't look promising, I've heard yesterday that around 10k free tickets were given away

Nick

Administrator
I think it says it all when you have to deride the enthusiasm as being the "in thing". The problem is not that Wasps are the "in thing", but that CCFC are the "out thing". That is what needs to be addressed and some will have to admit their failings, whilst others will have to recognise that they are blinkered and cannot see the obvious - instead of just decrying others for being positive about Wasps.

I think it says it all when our fans are only bothered when there is a bandwagon and it is the in thing...

I think it says more when our fans are more bothered and motivated to be angry at sisu while not being bothered about the football.

bargepole

Makes you proud does it trying to steal another clubs fan base? ...
Yes, we've got black-and-gold clad stormtroopers going round the streets of Coventry, threatening to take people's children away if they don't turn up for Wasps games.

At the first game in December, I sat next to a local couple, who said it was their first visit to the Ricoh - "There's not been anything worth watching here until now" was their comment.

Like everything else, people have a choice - some will pick one sport over another, others will come along to watch football and rugby. I can fully understand CCFC fans' anger and frustration at seeing what was 'their' stadium owned by another sports team, and having to be the poor relations as tenants.

But, we are where we are, and personally I'd like to see both clubs thriving on the field, and getting the best out of merchandising, marketing and sponsorship deals, as well as getting average gates of 15,000+.

ccfcway

I think it says it all when our fans are only bothered when there is a bandwagon and it is the in thing...

I think it says more when our fans are more bothered and motivated to be angry at sisu while not being bothered about the football.

TBF, I agree that some of the attitudes are bizarre, however they didn't have this attitude when SISU joined, everyone has a tipping point I suppose.

Life is too short, I am CCFC through and through, but I can slightly understand that as entertainment, perhaps some people are looking for something else than a 24% win record in the 3rd tier of our league pyramid.

I wouldn't go and see waps, yet I support the Blaze. I didn't even know they came from Sollihull when I started watching them and I only really know them as a Coventry team, just like the youngsters will know wasps as a Coventry team from now on.

italiahorse

Makes you proud does it trying to steal another clubs fan base?

Will be less than 10k soon it seem, I expected 20k yesterday with all the free tickets going around so doesn't look promising, I've heard yesterday that around 10k free tickets were given away

CCFC fans can do both.
If they don't go to watch CCFC then they have chose not to do so.

Why would you expect 20,000 when even Wasps expected 15,000?
10,000 free tickets :)
Again you only hear what you want to hear.

Every day people start to realise that there are advantages for both teams.

italiahorse

The bandwagon never lasts.
People like myself do both and up to now it's been good fun, particularly with both doing well this weekend.
Still thawing after a weekend outside freezing.

Brighton Sky Blue

No Thatcherite stereotyping of football fans at all there then. Segregated fans creates more of an atmosphere, always a lot of fun travelling away and being in a mini cauldron of noise.

Brighton Sky Blue

TBF, I agree that some of the attitudes are bizarre, however they didn't have this attitude when SISU joined, everyone has a tipping point I suppose.

Life is too short, I am CCFC through and through, but I can slightly understand that as entertainment, perhaps some people are looking for something else than a 24% win record in the 3rd tier of our league pyramid.

I wouldn't go and see waps, yet I support the Blaze. I didn't even know they came from Sollihull when I started watching them and I only really know them as a Coventry team, just like the youngsters will know wasps as a Coventry team from now on.

In their last 13 games Cov Rugby have a 100% win record. Now I know that 'they're shit' so people must watch Wasps instead, but surely they deserve more backing from people in their own city?

martcov

dodged the issue.... Even SISU have seen the need for good pr ( employing Portland ) to try and to get people enthusiastic about the new stadium. Strange that you think people like me are too bothered about being angry at SISU. I just pointed out that CCFC being seen as negative in comparison is a problem to be bothered about rather than Wasps being the ' in thing '. Puts me on the same wavelength as SISU and you as being on a strange angle of being more bothered about Wasps success than CCFCs future. Remarkable.

Steve.B50

In their last 13 games Cov Rugby have a 100% win record. Now I know that 'they're shit' so people must watch Wasps instead, but surely they deserve more backing from people in their own city?

They are playing some good Rugby, with the help of a few loan players from the top clubs. We are going Saturday, hopefully to see yet another win.

AtomicW

I expected 20k yesterday with all the free tickets going around so doesn't look promising, I've heard yesterday that around 10k free tickets were given away

I guess you were the only one then, 16k was an optimistic target for a fixture against Sale, which has never historically drawn big crowds. And you may want to get your hearing checked. ;)

Thanks

Richard

Sent from my Oneplus One

Brighton Sky Blue

They are playing some good Rugby, with the help of a few loan players from the top clubs. We are going Saturday, hopefully to see yet another win.

What a shame Wasps have set a glass ceiling for them in their own city. Fingers crossed they swap places at some point in the future.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I guess you were the only one then, 16k was an optimistic target for a fixture against Sale, which has never historically drawn big crowds. And you may want to get your hearing checked. ;)

Thanks

Richard

Sent from my Oneplus One

No they definitely said 10k, so no I don't need to get my hearing checked you cocky little shit. Whether that information is correct I don't know.

SkyBlue_Bear83

CCFC fans can do both.
If they don't go to watch CCFC then they have chose not to do so.

Why would you expect 20,000 when even Wasps expected 15,000?
10,000 free tickets :)
Again you only hear what you want to hear.

Every day people start to realise that there are advantages for both teams.

What if they can't afford to do both? For a family of 4 it wouldn't be easy, some people can afford to do both I appreciate that but every Wasps ticket purchased by someone in Coventry is money that could have been used to buy a ticket for an actual team from Coventry.

And I don't hear what I want to hear, I hear what was said to me.

Nick

Administrator
People were saying coventry is a poor city and they can't afford to buy tickets for city the other week....

Brighton Sky Blue

Why the need for segregation?

The same as the need for 10 armed police to guard about 30 fans queuing for a bus from the Ricoh after a game. Although for your point, diluting the away fans would diminish from the atmosphere of the game and it should also be noted that when segregation is not enforced the away travel tend to form pockets in the crowd anyway. Why can't I have a drink in view of the playing area?

Woz01

People need to realise that Wasps would be happy with crowds around 10k especially as they get 70%+ of the revenue instead of 10% they were getting at Wycombe. Speaking to a few Wasps fans at the Sale game they seem to think Leinster will bring 5k-10k over. Munster bought more than that over to Coventry a few years back I believe. Games against Leicester and Northampton will attract big crowds too! 15k for a game after Christmas and new year is very good I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread