Another black armband day & minutes applause? (1 Viewer)

Hobo

See Don Howe RIP thread yesterday.

Gazolba

We should just have a minute's silence before every game because someone dies every week.

simonregis

I too get tired when a friend of a friend who supported City dies but then I see it as what it is 'a mark of respect '

Macca

Minutes applause grate me. Brought in because people lack the decency to respect silence

Otis

Yes agree with this, never really understood applauding somebody for dying
Applauding someone for their contribution to the game surely, not for them dying.

I think it was right and proper for Jimmy Hill to have a minute of rapturous applause. For Don Howe it should be a minute's silence.

Depends on who and the circumstance, but some very much deserve a minute of applause and sometimes it is just about sombre respect.

MalcSB

Was there a minute applause or silence for Noel Cantwell? Certainly more owed to him than Don Howe.

Otis

Would just add, is every funeral we all go to really sombre? I have been to a fair few which have been celebrations of a person's life, in fact one funeral was one of my favourite experiences. There was me and about 8 mates went (through local football team)

This friend who died loved to tell jokes and was a real character, so the funeral was a very joyous affair, because we all wanted to embrace that and all I came remember from that day is laughing until we cried.

As I say, depends on the circumstance.

SkyBlueSid

Can't remember. Silence I think.

I'm pretty sure there was absolutely nothing for Noel Cantwell. It was very controversial at the time and frankly shamed the club that his passing was ignored. It was as if nobody who was running CCFC had ever heard of him.

Otis

I'm pretty sure there was absolutely nothing for Noel Cantwell. It was very controversial at the time and frankly shamed the club that his passing was ignored. It was as if nobody who was running CCFC had ever heard of him.
Yeah, that rings a bell. Why on earth didn't that happen I wonder?

CJ_covblaze

Was there a minute applause or silence for Noel Cantwell? Certainly more owed to him than Don Howe.

One of the biggest mistakes this club has made in the last few years. He barely got a mention.

mechaishida

Ok, call me oblivious, but why did the club shun Noel Cantwell? Is there some transgression on his part that caused it?

Personally, I think he did what he could; stepping into the mightily huge footsteps left by Sir Jim must have been pretty daunting.

M&B Stand

It wasn't fashionable then like it is now. Gone are the days of quiet personal reflection, its people straining to outdo each other as to who's the most compassionate and respectful. It reached a peak when muamba nearly died but didn't yet the minutes silences went ahead anyway.

CJ_covblaze

Ok, call me oblivious, but why did the club shun Noel Cantwell? Is there some transgression on his part that caused it?

Personally, I think he did what he could; stepping into the mightily huge footsteps left by Sir Jim must have been pretty daunting.

He took us into Europe and led us to a victory against a brilliant Bayern team. They didn't realise or appreciate the significance of his contribution.

mechaishida

He took us into Europe and led us to a victory against a brilliant Bayern team. They didn't realise or appreciate the significance of his contribution.

So it was a case of complete oversight and failure to acknowledge his contribution? Wow, very appropriate. I thought he must have besmirched the CCFC name in some way...seems not. Pretty disgusting way to treat him, now that I think about it.

SkyBlueSid

There was no transgression as far as I'm aware. Cantwell is the manager who guided us to our highest ever league position and the only one to take us into Europe. It was indeed a huge job to take on and his achievement in keeping us up was immense at the time. To push on and qualify for Europe in our third season in the top flight was incredible too, especially as there was lots of pressure to push on after survival for two years. Remember the slogan - 'Rocket the Sky Blues into Europe', which he did.

To snub him was unforgivable. It was under the old regime and soon after we moved to the Ricoh when he died. As I recall, his passing wasn't even mentioned at the next home game. It was a gaffe of the worst sort.

mechaishida

There was no transgression as far as I'm aware. Cantwell is the manager who guided us to our highest ever league position and the only one to take us into Europe. It was indeed a huge job to take on and his achievement in keeping us up was immense at the time. To push on and qualify for Europe in our third season in the top flight was incredible too, especially as there was lots of pressure to push on after survival for two years. Remember the slogan - 'Rocket the Sky Blues into Europe', which he did.

To snub him was unforgivable. It was under the old regime and soon after we moved to the Ricoh when he died. As I recall, his passing wasn't even mentioned at the next home game. It was a gaffe of the worst sort.

Yep, just seems utterly disrespectful and spiteful. This is why I confused, see, because I'd only ever heard positives about Cantwell. Snubbing his achievements and passing like that, is just absolutely devoid of reason.

Users who are viewing this thread