Ann Lucas quite Shrewd (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

I was concerned that Ann may start trying to encorage talks again with SISU. Leading back to the start of a long path to a brick wall. She would not have seen or experienced what Mr Mutton has of their tactics and the strong possibility no negotiation would have been accepted until ACL were destroyed. Looks like we are where we are and a conclusion will be coming.........

A special committee overseeing Ricoh Arena affairs is to be set up by the new leadership of Coventry City Council.

The Telegraph understands the high-level “Arena panel” will include cabinet members and the outgoing leader John Mutton – deposed as council leader by Ann Lucas in last week’s leadership contest.

It is believed it is partly an attempt by ruling Labour councillors to be more open in publicly debating issues over the part council-owned Ricoh company, Arena Coventry Limited.

Some critics have accused councillors of secrecy, particularly when they approved behind closed doors in January a £14million taxpayer bailout of ACL.

It bought out ACL’s bank mortgage – becoming “its banker” instead – to alleviate financial pressure after Coventry City Football Club had stopped paying its £100,000 rent bill for using the stadium.

The new panel comes as the Sky Blues’ hedge fund owner Joy Seppala and CCFC Holdings Ltd chief executive Tim Fisher are seeking a High Court judicial review of the bail out - claiming it broke “state aid” laws designed to prevent public bodies creating unfair competition.

With another Sky Blues company – CCFC Limited – in administration and awaiting administrator Paul Appleton’s report to creditors later this month, CCFC Holdings also accuses the council of unlawfully seeking to enforce new owners for the club.

But any council-supported takeover of the club and half the stadium was backed yesterday by new Conservative group leader John Blundell. Coun Lucas has refused to comment on ACL matters for legal reasons.

Coun Blundell – who replaces Torbay parliamentary hopeful Kevin Foster as council opposition leader – said: “We’ve got to get the right people on board.

“That would give the council an opportunity to divest itself of ACL at an advantageous time for the taxpayers of Coventry.

“I don’t think in the long-run the council should be involved in running a stadium or football club.”

* Coun Blundell a 61-year-old “proud grandfather” who once worked for tools manufacturer Matrix Churchill and family compenents firm Blundell & Co, in Tile Hill, said it had been his long-held ambition to run the Tory group. The former children’s cabinet member said his group would be pragmatic in examing the new Labour leaders’ policies, including the financing of a “living wage” for the lowest paid council staff, which his group advocated earlier this year.

A Margaret Thatcher enthusiast who believes government cuts are necessary and desirable, the ex-King Henry VIII pupil backs school academies.

wingy

Trust the Telegraph!! Just who are/were those Critics?? The Entire Council voted to support this stance ,they only Critcism I recall was Kevin Foster complaining about Secrecy way prior to this Action being taken.

Secrecy does'nt seem to work anyway does it as Les Reid was Publishing Details within a couple of days of the Bailout.:thinking about:

Warwickhunt

His statement "I don't think in the long run the council should be involved in running a Stadium or Football Club" is the most sensible statement to come out of the Council in ages, at last the penny has dropped.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
'It is believed it is partly an attempt by ruling Labour councillors to be more open in publicly debating issues' - Hurray
'Coun Lucas has refused to comment on ACL matters for legal reasons.' - Oh
:thinking about:

Sick Boy

His statement "I don't think in the long run the council should be involved in running a Stadium or Football Club" is the most sensible statement to come out of the Council in ages, at last the penny has dropped.

That goes against what a lot on here have been saying.

davebart

why shouldn't a council run a stadium? they run sports centres, libraries all sorts of things.

Disorganised1

John Blundell was a couple of years above me - I think his brother was in my year, but it's been a long time.

Flying Fokker

'It is believed it is partly an attempt by ruling Labour councillors to be more open in publicly debating issues' - Hurray
'Coun Lucas has refused to comment on ACL matters for legal reasons.' - Oh
:thinking about:

Easy to fall in to the trap of saying too much!

These closed cabinets have to happen. Presumably, the whole legal issue had to be considered before approval of the loan? Plus SISU would certainly have been there
If an open meeting.

Loads of meetings are live cast now.

Users who are viewing this thread