Andy Thorn - Confusion over backing and sacking preference from fans (2 Viewers)

Moff

Oh dear, another one not able to able to separate style and results. It's not difficult.

If i'd meant 'most effective football' i'd have written it.

I like passing football and that's what we're getting. I don't believe for a second we'd be in this position had SISU taken this season seriously and retained our best players.

Rich, whilst i can understand your point, you seem to miss the fact that we are in a league, that is based on results, and not on the style of football. Its a results based buisness.

Yes the football is better than hoofroyds, but I am sure when we get relegated to league one, we wont be talking about how unlucky we were as we played some pretty stuff, just about the fact we were relageated.

Whilst i agree it is good to see nice football, there is a large amount of stay away fans who would rather see a winning successfull football club, and I argue that it is that which will bring the majority of them back, not good quality passing.

Lets face it we get a lot of passing football in pre season freindlies but it hardly draws the fans in, as its success that many want and we have been well and truly starved of it.

(PS To whoever who said those that go up the Ricoh are Thorn fans, you are incorrect. I go but am not a fan of Thorn. I would gladly see him go, if only to see if anyone else could do better although i admit SISU have screwed him. I support the team though...not the manager. I also understand why many support him as opposed to my opinion)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I know it would have been good to keep those three players but in reality we would have had to match their salary packages and length of contract. Westwood is on something like £25K pw Gunnar probably £15K pw and King probably at least £15K pw - that is £2.86m each year on them alone without bringing in any new players. Yes some has been spent on replacement salaries say £750K. So what finances the shortfall ? At some point this club has to deal with the losses be it under SISU, GH or someone else or it goes bust. We simply could not realistically afford them. with or without them we would make losses it is just a question of how much.

That is not a arguement in favour of SISU btw and i do not blame the players for maximising their income for their families- it is what was though. Does any one really honestly believe we could have held on to those players who ever owned the club ? The onl;y caveat I can see to that we got them very short term and sold them on - that was perhaps something we could have done but that relies on the player wanting to stay at all to begin with.

stupot07

Winning successfully football......I'm trying to remember the last time we had a full season of that..

Adams 2005-06
Sillett and Curtis 1986-87
Jimmy hill era?

Brighton Sky Blue

Winning successfully football......I'm trying to remember the last time we had a full season of that..

Adams 2005-06
Sillett and Curtis 1986-87
Jimmy hill era?

The first half of 05/06 was pretty shakey until Wise arrived in late November, so I wouldn't say we've got a whole season there. King has shown quite emphatically this season, and for a good chunk of his stay last season, that he's a pretty clinical striker, and definitely one of the most clinical we've had since relegation. Gunnar I'd still say is a lot more replaceable, as is Turner. The defence is not where we've struggled this season, it's in the goalscoring department and with Juke essentially by himself for the first half of the campaign that was never going to be enough-would it've been different with a fully fit Cody? Maybe, but in a team like ours the key ingredient's a poacher who can score regularly off limited chances.
Problem is-people like that cost money that is simply way out of our price range; so our bets are on Nimeley to try and step up to that role instead.

rob9872

88/89 when we finished high and had Speedie and Gallacher was a decent year too - in fact probably better than the cup final year as a whole season.

stupot07

Brighton I agree to an extend re: Gunnar but the fact is he hasn't been replaced, and he and turner are showing what good players for Cardiff.

We definitely need goals, but to say we don't miss the others or they wouldn't improve the team is wrong. They would both get in our first eleven if they were still because they are better than we've got.

Brighton Sky Blue

Brighton I agree to an extend re: Gunnar but the fact is he hasn't been replaced, and he and turner are showing what good players for Cardiff.

We definitely need goals, but to say we don't miss the others or they wouldn't improve the team is wrong. They would both get in our first eleven if they were still because they are better than we've got.

Of course they would-my point was that I wasn't that concerned at the time about them going because I didn't think we'd have problems replacing them. Obviously I'm not saying that we're better off without these 2, but I still think the crux of problems is the loss of the first rate goalscorer we had in King.

stupot07

Of course they would-my point was that I wasn't that concerned at the time about them going because I didn't think we'd have problems replacing them. Obviously I'm not saying that we're better off without these 2, but I still think the crux of problems is the loss of the first rate goalscorer we had in King.

I agree losing a striker of kings quality has been the major problem, but I also feel we miss Gunnarssons physicality, drive and directness in the midfield - this season in particular he has shown he has an eye for goal.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree losing a striker of kings quality has been the major problem, but I also feel we miss Gunnarssons physicality, drive and directness in the midfield - this season in particular he has shown he has an eye for goal.

Problem is we rarely played Gunnar in that kind of a role-Thorn gave him a bit more freedom to do that, but tended to be bogged down in more defensive parts of the pitch. Deegan's been promising in doing what you've said, but I see what you're saying-it's not really the same.

Stevec189

Problem is we rarely played Gunnar in that kind of a role-Thorn gave him a bit more freedom to do that, but tended to be bogged down in more defensive parts of the pitch. Deegan's been promising in doing what you've said, but I see what you're saying-it's not really the same.

Both are missed. Gunnar for the amount of pitch he covered and linking upo the play and King not only for his goals but also his movement in dropping into space allowing midfield to push up. Nimely looks promising in this type of role and he is quicker than King! (or appears to be at least!) PUSB

@richh87

I wonder where we'd be if just King had been retained, forget the others.

I don't think we'd be in the drop zone

Users who are viewing this thread