Andy Thorn - Confusion over backing and sacking preference from fans (1 Viewer)

Sterling Archer

I come onto these boards daily and find the general consensus is that nobody wants Thorn at the club anymore. People question his tactics, subs, selections and ability as manager. In other words, if anyone were to form their opinions from this board of Coventry fans they'd all presume we want Thorn out.

However, when I'm up at the Ricoh or travelling to the arse end of England to watch my beloved Sky Blues, I find the general consensus of talking to fans who go to the games that he is working with his hands tied behind his back and has the full backing of the supporters.

As you can probably tell this has left me confused when trying to answer the question "does Thorn still have the fans backing".

Anyone care to shed light on this?

For what its worth, I back Thorn and want to see him stay. I don't think anyone could do any better with the same resources and we don't have the money to sack another manager and bring in a bigger/more expensive name anyway.

I'd much rather that money was spent on bringing in another new director for the board. ;)

stupot07

I disagree I don't think there is a general consensus either way. There are a number of prolific posters who want him out, but I wouldn't concur that it's the majority.

mememe

Sorry to be negative but thorn is inexperienced, when your a club in trouble like we were at the very begining of this season the owners should have at that point appointed an experienced manager, or better still kept coleman, or any of the managers that took us close but kept us up in my opinion due to experience.

The problem with thron is he is such a likeable chap, i think he plays the sympathy seeking card a little too much now and again, he looks shattered and confused. We dont want that, we want a manager having a good bloody go at the players, the board and the owners , and even the fans if need be.

It alright saying he has his hands tied, but the same could be said for the soldiers of brutal dictators but not many of us cried to see saddams henchmen hung were we!! The fact is the buck ends with the manager, and remember thron is not a manager he is a scout acting out as a manager. They are 2 completely different matters. I can tell you now he will be gone in the next 2 weeks, i think he is simply a patsy for the sisu management to blame. That way as another poster said earlier they can divert the blame away from themselves.

In the end yes he is a nice bloke but we are mugs ... Real mugs for putting up with him as a manager and even bigger mugs for giving sisu our money.

rob9872

I think the truth as always probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Personally I don't rate him particularly but he has tried to play it in the right way, he has been shafted from all angles during his time and he seems a genuinely decent fella. He probably isn't up to it, but as we don't have any cash to splash on a better option or for a new manager to invest with, then we may as well stick with what we have and get behind him. I think for the forseeable we're stuck with eachother so should row in the same direction.

CUS Wyken

The only reasons Thorn has his ‘fans’ is because they feel sorry for him and he is a nice guy.

I do feel sorry for his predicament but fans have to realise he’s one of the reasons why were bottom.

He is a sound geezer but he’s not good enough to manage a Championship side.

This team is better than a bottom of the league team and we have showed this but Thorn’s naivety at changing a game with tactics or substitutions has been partly down to why we are bottom. Not fully but losing 18 points from leading position this season is not good enough. Same happened end of last season when Thorn was in charge.

Tankie

There is a lot of credence in what some fans are saying about Thorns tactical awareness being a bit tardy.But its also a fact, that in all my years watching CCFC, I have never witnessed victory snatched from our grasp in the dying moments of a game, like I've seen this season.
This could, or could not be the fault of Andy thorn, or as I believe, down to individual mistakes, by players, who are not quite ready at this level, or just plainly not good enough.
I cant see any point sacking Thorn at this stage, or at any other point if it come s to it, we are so close to winning matches, that our wretched luck must change sooner or later.
Its clear, that some posters howl with derision, at the mention of more attractive football from the Sky Blues,and I do realise its all about results, But I'll not move on my view, that the football we are seeing under Thorn is the best we've seen at the Ricoh.
I may be sticking my neck out, but I like Football the "Andy Thorn way"and hope he stays.
Respect....Tankie.. donning Flak Jacket
1035.gif

haz_uk

I like Thorn and I'd like to us to stick with him as I don't see what there is to be gained from sacking another manager. Yes, he is inexperienced but he has hardly had the support from a full and proper backroom team during his tenure. He is effectively learning on the job, no fitness coach and what is Steve Harrison's role on the touchline on a Saturday? Surely a coach that has been part of the England setup and having years of experience in the Premier league should be guiding Thorn in the right direction tactically? Harrison has been at the club with the previous 2 'experienced' managers and we have faired marginally better in the league! Thorn appears to have the respect of the players and has got them playing the game the right way - I think with better backroom support and guidance he could in the long run be a good manager.

Big Mo

Simple explanation - those who back thorn are the ones left turning up at the ricoh, hence the support at games.

@richh87

There is a lot of credence in what some fans are saying about Thorns tactical awareness being a bit tardy.But its also a fact, that in all my years watching CCFC, I have never witnessed victory snatched from our grasp in the dying moments of a game, like I've seen this season.
This could, or could not be the fault of Andy thorn, or as I believe, down to individual mistakes, by players, who are not quite ready at this level, or just plainly not good enough.
I cant see any point sacking Thorn at this stage, or at any other point if it come s to it, we are so close to winning matches, that our wretched luck must change sooner or later.
Its clear, that some posters howl with derision, at the mention of more attractive football from the Sky Blues,and I do realise its all about results, But I'll not move on my view, that the football we are seeing under Thorn is the best we've seen at the Ricoh.
I may be sticking my neck out, but I like Football the "Andy Thorn way"and hope he stays.
1035.gif

Here here Tankie!

Best footy seen since we've moved to the Ricoh and I want to see a lit more of it - hopefully with Hoffman's backers providing funds for success.

TheSnoz

At best there are about 250 people on this forum, more often much less. It is a tiny fraction of the club's support. As someone said, a few loud and frequent voices can create the impression 'everyone' wants AT out. Lots don't. The silent majority who don't come on here, probably feel he's been sold down the river by SISU. They know he has his heads, legs, everything, tied. Though the playing loads of kids thing is a bit of a myth. Quite a few teams have talented teenagers playing - and doing better than us. There might have been some games where we were overloaded with teenagers, but Blackpool - what - Cyrus & Connor. I'm of the view that AT should have more points on the board with the players he's got, about TEN points which obviously would have us a bit higher. He HAS changed his tactics of late, a bit more direct, he's varied it.
To be honest I can't make my mind up about him. Give him the tools and he would probably do a better job. But if someone told me tonight - O'Driscoll, Warnock, Davies, Di Canio or somebody - was coming in and shaking things up to give us a fighting chance of staying up - I might be persuaded. Confused, yeah just a bit.

Grendel

I disagree I don't think there is a general consensus either way. There are a number of prolific posters who want him out, but I wouldn't concur that it's the majority.

I can't think who you mean stu. However there is definately not a consensus and I would say less than 50% want him to go though a lot of others are indifferent. Coventry fans historically are a passive bunch towards managers - I mean some even want Bobby Gould back and they say it with a straight face.

Grendel

Simple explanation - those who back thorn are the ones left turning up at the ricoh, hence the support at games.

Not true. Managers don't really make much difference. The fact I still go is testimony to that. I believe it is dull sterile football and the entertainment thing is a myth but you go ultimately if you still care sufficiently about the cause.

CCFC123

Thorns fucked up,
the players aren't good enough,
there not 100% fit to last games. The stats prove that with the amout of late goals.
The kids shouldn't be made to play at there age and aren't ready yet.

A combination of the lot as put us down.

I would like to know what the heck Harrisons doing for his money? He should of insisted Thorn change the tiring players with twenty minutes to go and screamed at him to do it.

city old boy

Here here Tankie!

Best footy seen since we've moved to the Ricoh and I want to see a lit more of it - hopefully with Hoffman's backers providing funds for success.

The football's that good we've won five out of 28. A manager with the worst record ever:jerkit:

stupot07

The football's that good we've won five out of 28. A manager with the worst record ever:jerkit:

However your only as good as your attackers, goals win games and we've had juke plus rod, an unfit Cody, platt and latterly sheffers up front the majority of the season.

Even now we sold our top scorer and replaced him with a lad who had only made 1 first team start prior to coming.

We have the worst goal scoring record and the worst shooting accuracy in the league.

Arsenal play good football but if RVP isn't fit they really lack the quality to score goals. We lack quality and composure up front.

Otis

I wish people would stop keep coming out saying that no-one could do any better as if it's some kind of fact.

None of us know if anyone could do any better or not. We can only assume or contemplate. Really daft to say no-one could do any better.

I think someone could do better, but I dont state it like it's a fact.

ccfcno9

1035.gif

hopefully flak jacket not required, I agree 100% with your comments about football seen this year opposed to that served up by Bothroyd, and why can,t the good guys develop into good managers given backing and support afterall some of the more outspoken managers of the past did,nt do that much for us either(Peter Reid and Strachan come to mind). yes AT is tactically naive but the bench of 'fat freddie, Bell and Baker(wood excluded) is hardly a wealth of quality to bring into play.Yes a club should have a full time fitness coach, the club needs to wheel and deal to bring one in ie; get rid of a high earner from the board

Grendel

Otis

I think 'Best footy seen since we've moved to the Ricoh' isn't exactly blowing our own trumpet is it baring in mind the duff we've had to put up with from everyone else.

Grendel

I think 'Best footy seen since we've moved to the Ricoh' isn't exactly blowing our own trumpet is it baring in mind the duff we've had to put up with from everyone else.

It's also not correct. Mifsud, adebole and best at their pomp was considerably better than this.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I think most people know he isn't good enough. Lets face it WE DESERVE BETTER in all areas.

BUT!

I like AT and he is clearly a good motivator and respected in the team. We'r not in a place to sack him. And I personally am happy to support him as he is trying he absolute best and I don't think any other manager would have the passion that he does. Its (For the most part) NOT his fault! Although tactically he is lacking...

I say lets stick with him, If we get relegated we can hire a new manager at a fresh start and tell him exactly what is available to him. If we sack and rehire now then the guy is on the back foot to start with. Keep Thorn and rebuild..... Never know a miracle could happen and we stay up.

Grendel

Opposition managers love him so I hear.

However your only as good as your attackers, goals win games and we've had juke plus rod, an unfit Cody, platt and latterly sheffers up front the majority of the season.

Even now we sold our top scorer and replaced him with a lad who had only made 1 first team start prior to coming.

We have the worst goal scoring record and the worst shooting accuracy in the league.

Arsenal play good football but if RVP isn't fit they really lack the quality to score goals. We lack quality and composure up front.

Precisely.

It is the best footy we've played at the Ricoh without doubt - the most pleasing on the eye anyway and I'm sure that's what Rich meant.

@richh87

Oh dear, another one not able to able to separate style and results. It's not difficult.

If i'd meant 'most effective football' i'd have written it.

I like passing football and that's what we're getting. I don't believe for a second we'd be in this position had SISU taken this season seriously and retained our best players.

Astute

This is the main problem for AT at the moment. He can only work with the tools he has. He seems to have brought the squad together and has them playing a passing game. Total opposite of the teams style of play when he took over. When he took over he had the players needed to do the job. He got results from a squad that had been on a losing run and playing poor.

Nearly a year later nearly every one of the best players we had have been sold or were out of contract. We would not be competing in every game if he didn't have a clue. He will be learning by his mistakes. All managers make them though. I am hoping that once Norwood, Nimley and Sheffers are playing together we will be able to score goals. We have the basis of a good team. We need goals though. Norwood, Nimley and Sheffers are the link from midfield to attack we have been needing all season. If one or more of them has their shooting boots on the goals will come. If the goals start coming then so will the points.

Users who are viewing this thread