Andy Street looking forward to seeing Coventry "Sky Blue" (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator

What a dickhead, fresh from the Wasps match yesterday doing his bit for "Coventry" as well.

Does he have a clue?

torchomatic

What a joke. He hasn't a clue, has he?

Grendel

When you read the article it gets worse - they try and say coventry blue is an association with Coventry going back hundreds of years and the football club barely gets a mention

Nick

Administrator
Imagine if he used his position to actually make the city Sky Blue rather than having his freebie hospitality days at Wasps.

jordan210

When you read the article it gets worse - they try and say coventry blue is an association with Coventry going back hundreds of years and the football club barely gets a mention

Arnt the civic colours red and green ?

Looking at historical football kits we played in sky-blue for a bit but mainly dark blue in the early years

Grendel

Arnt the civic colours red and green ?

I believe so yes. Even when they mention blue in a modern context it’s not just football shirts but some blue thing on some island.

ajsccfc

Between Wasps' target practice and Andy's tweet, people seem to really enjoy the taste of their own feet. Fucking hell

chiefdave

This has to be a deliberate piss take. No way nobody didn't pick up on this.
Moving is a word often associated with Coventry ... Moving Blue is our very own shade and will be visible all over Coventry in the next year
Have to laugh at the attempt to use blue in Coventry but not link it with the football club known worldwide as the Sky Blues!

shmmeee

This has to be a deliberate piss take. No way nobody didn't pick up on this.

Have to laugh at the attempt to use blue in Coventry but not link it with the football club known worldwide as the Sky Blues!

As the article states the links between the City and the colour predate the club by some time. There was a “Coventry Blue” but no one knows what it was.

The “moving” bit is a piss take though. If the best you can do is “transport and immigrants innit” you can do better. Why not just call it Coventry Blue 2020 or some bollocks?

Nick

Administrator
against my better judgment I was just starting to warm to him even though he is a tory c**t. I won't make that mistake again.

He will get you

2185166.main_image.jpg

Grendel

As the article states the links between the City and the colour predate the club by some time. There was a “Coventry Blue” but no one knows what it was.

The “moving” bit is a piss take though. If the best you can do is “transport and immigrants innit” you can do better. Why not just call it Coventry Blue 2020 or some bollocks?

I think if Coventry were playing in Coventry the main reference would be the football team not an obscure little known fact that barely gets a mention on google

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Civic colours are red and green due to separation of Coventry into areas controlled by either the Earl or the Bishop - hence why you've got two big curches in Trinity and St Michael's next door to each other.

Coventry Blue (or True Blue) is from the medieval dyeing and weaving industry as a cloth that was renowned for its ability to retain it's colour rather than fade or wash out. Personally i'd have much preferred True Blue as our nickname than Sky Blue)

the rumpo kid

The saying" true as Coventry blue" was also used in one of the episodes of last season's walking dead , just saying like.

Kneeza

Oddly, Jeremy Spencer(ex Fleetwood Mac) released an album called Coventry Blue in 2014.

Attachments

• 20200106_142602.jpg
    20200106_142602.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

fernandopartridge

That is correct, Coventry True Blue was an apparent ribbon made here, but nobody knows what shade of blue it is. Obviously the football club and the rugby club both are most obviously associated with blue in Coventry. To not mention that is criminal.

Covkid1968#

Goes back 100s of years when the city had a worthwhile industry..... doesn’t true blue come from the recognised blue dye that Was used in the City. I have read that somewhere

theferret

What's the issue here? Think I'm missing something. The idea is to celebrate the city's history and association with the colour blue, from 'Coventry Blue' to Sky Blue, and the official 2021 video features the football club heavily. What was the issue withe original tweet?

Nick

Administrator
What's the issue here? Think I'm missing something. The idea is to celebrate the city's history and association with the colour blue, from 'Coventry Blue' to Sky Blue, and the official 2021 video features the football club heavily. What was the issue withe original tweet?

He was on about making Coventry sky blue.... Bet he has no idea about the football club.

Otis

Agree. There is definitely 'Coventry Blue' and it dates back hundreds of years I believe, so a bit unfair to suggest there is merely an attempt to link the colour. That they are try to suggest. I have always known of Coventry Blue.

The football club should be very high on the agenda for the plan though for sure.

Hobo

Civic colours are red and green due to separation of Coventry into areas controlled by either the Earl or the Bishop - hence why you've got two big curches in Trinity and St Michael's next door to each other.

Coventry Blue (or True Blue) is from the medieval dyeing and weaving industry as a cloth that was renowned for its ability to retain it's colour rather than fade or wash out. Personally i'd have much preferred True Blue as our nickname than Sky Blue)

Correct. Nice to know some know the history of the City aside from Lady Godiva and the Blitz.

Irish Sky Blue

Why did Hill choose sky blue and not true blue? Seems an obvious choice.
I think the name ‘The Sky Blues’ was first coined by Derek Henderson in a match report in the Telegraph after watching the team play a pre season friendly against Birmingham at St Andrews in the new all Sky blue kit. We won 2-1 and both the team and the kit impressed.

Brylowes

I’ve heard references to “as true as Coventry blue” as an indication of quality, longevity
And trustworthiness, apparently it stems from the dye made and used in the early Cloth
and Ribbon weaving that used to be a major industry in Coventry hundreds of years ago
predominantly the Spon End and Foleshill areas.
Watch and Clock making was also something that Coventry was once famous for ‘don’t
Know if that is of any significance in the use of the word “Moving “ as in constantly moving
And evolving through time, probably more to do with the City’s long established links to
The transport industry.
Whatever it’s all about I just hope that common sense prevails and the “Skyblues” are
back where they belong in time to contribute too ‘and take part in what could and should
Be a year that gives the whole City a much needed lift.
If they’re not....I for one will find the whole thing pretty underwhelming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread