Android / iOS App - Would you? (1 Viewer)

Want to pay for a dedicated SBT app?

• I'd want it for free

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I'd pay about 49p

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I'd pay about £1.99

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I ain't paying for that

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I'd pay 99p

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Nick

Administrator
There is a great product available which is on special offer at the minute to give full access to the website with a native app that will work on ios and Android.

However it is quite pricey still so I am not sure if it would be possible to have it for free on the app store.

I just wanted to create a little bit of a poll to see if people would pay towards it (I am talking 99p) or if they wouldn't be that fussed on using it before I invest in it.

ryb1983ccfc

<p>
There is a great product available which is on special offer at the minute to give full access to the website with a native app that will work on ios and Android.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>However it is quite pricey still so I am not sure if it would be possible to have it for free on the app store.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I just wanted to create a little bit of a poll to see if people would pay towards it (I am talking 99p) or if they wouldn't be that fussed on using it before I invest in it.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
I would happily pay 49p

Nick

Administrator
Thanks :) It is looking at around £300 to get started and then a monthly fee so would be more than happy if a fair few people wanted to chip in as it would make it easier to browse the site too :)

Mucca Mad Boys

I don't fully understand the point of this app, I'd appreciate it if you could explain it.

I make the vast majority of my posts off my iPad and all I have done is bookmarked the web page so it is effectively an 'app', how would this 'app' make it any different?

Same with my phone, and android and it was easy to use.

Just wondering.

Nick

Administrator
It would be a native app. It would display a lot better than using the actual web page.

There would be things like photo uploading so if you took a pic at the game you can upload it easily to a post, push notifications if you got a pm, subscription alert or if there was important breaking news.

It would be a lot easier/ quicker than using the web interface.

The web page isn't an "app" it is just a cut down version of the website that you still need a browser to use, this wouldn't need to use Safari, Chrome etc.

LastGarrison

I don't fully understand the point of this app, I'd appreciate it if you could explain it.

I make the vast majority of my posts off my iPad and all I have done is bookmarked the web page so it is effectively an 'app', how would this 'app' make it any different?

Same with my phone, and android and it was easy to use.

Just wondering.

I'm with you SBT, I access this site fine on my phone and off my lap top so have no need for an "app".

I'm not completely up with the whole app thing (does it not use your data on your phone?) so for me I would have no need for it.

Nick

Administrator
That is fine :) If people don't need it or wouldn't use it, that is what I am trying to find out.

It would probably use less data than using it via the web browser would :)

Nick

Administrator
If you are on wifi it is fine :) If you use Chrome you can always have the option to the full site too rather than the mobile one.

SkyblueBazza

Native app?
What benefit will it give me over using the forum on my iPhone? The only niggle I have really is it sometimes signs me out.

Nick

Administrator
It would keep you signed it, be faster, easier to read, things like push notifications (so if you get a pm it will pop up if you choose), photo uploading if you want to post a picture, sharing options.

A good example would be using the Sky News app rather than browsing the Sky News website!

Nick i'd certainly pay for it, £1.99 is nothing compared to the benefits of the app

Mucca Mad Boys

This app sounds decent, but, if it's £300 odd quid out of your own pocket, I wouldn't risk it, I and I'm sure others are content with just using the web browser.

Nick

Administrator
If it makes it easier for people to access the forum and it would be used then it isn't really that much of an issue! There will always be the web version but I personally prefer native apps as its quicker and easier :)

SkyblueBazza

Tbh - if it's produced I trust nick enough to buy it...but I'd give him a right slating if turns out to be anything not as good as the mobile version I'm using ;-)

Can the forum not just register with tapatalk which is already available on the app store no development is required and it is developed purely for forums. Several of the car clubs I am in use this and it works very well.

Nick

Administrator
Can the forum not just register with tapatalk which is already available on the app store no development is required and it is developed purely for forums. Several of the car clubs I am in use this and it works very well.

Yep we already have tapatalk :D if people are members on lots of forums they can use that

What would this new app offer over tapatalk. I have always felt tapatalk is the ideal thing for browsing forums with but if there is extra functionality with the new app and enough people will use it then why not try it on android. With it being open source it shouldn't cost you anything other than development time and doesn't have to be sold via play store. You could put it on here as a download for people to install through something like astro which they could get for free from the play store.

Nick

Administrator
What would this new app offer over tapatalk. I have always felt tapatalk is the ideal thing for browsing forums with but if there is extra functionality with the new app and enough people will use it then why not try it on android. With it being open source it shouldn't cost you anything other than development time and doesn't have to be sold via play store. You could put it on here as a download for people to install through something like astro which they could get for free from the play store.

It would probably be based on tapa talk so would be the same engine with more branding. If people already use tapatalk they wouldn't need to pay again I don't think :D

Users who are viewing this thread