An English national anthem. (1 Viewer)

Malaka

Dunno why I never thought of it before, it makes perfect sense 'The Eton Boating Song'

oakey

No you aren't - Jerusalem is nothing to do with modern England whatsoever...I think it has religious conotations for a start - so that counts that out!

Land of hope & glory definitely a front-runner for me...though still not a modern day England relevance as it's sea-faring slanted (I think). Rule Brittania is a no...its on about Brittania not England.

What about Imagine? Written by a great English icon...it is anti everything except luuurrv for one & another whatever sex, shape, size, creed or colour (I think).

...onwards & upwards PUSB
Imagine is even more a dirge than God save the Queen and its hippy sentiments are no more in keeping with the 21st century than those of Jerusalem are.

skybluetony176

Stick with god save the queen. She is the queen of England after all. Plus it's only Wales and the sweaties who have their own anthems, Northern Ireland have god save the queen also. It may have a couple of extra unofficial words though when they sing it ;)

Last edited:

dutchman

Northern Ireland have god save the queen also.

Not for long though, a majority in Northern Ireland want to change it:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...orthern-ireland-sporting-events-34377456.html
We ran a poll asking if it was time to ditch God Save the Queen as the anthem at Northern Ireland sports events and nearly 6,000 took part.
Of the near 5,846, people who voted up to Tuesday, 54% say its time for a change.
We also asked for suggestions as to what a possible new anthem could be and received a huge response.
Danny Boy (or Londonderry Air), Abide with me, Be Thou My Vision, Teenage Kicks, Mickey Marley's Roundabout have all been raised as possible alternatives.
One joker even suggested introducing the Frankie Goes to Hollywood classic, Two Tribes.

skybluetony176

Not for long though, a majority in Northern Ireland want to change it:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...orthern-ireland-sporting-events-34377456.html

The 6000 people asked were probably all from West Belfast ;)

Being serious for a moment you only have to look at the suggestions for an alternative to see that many were clearly just being typical Northern Irishers and not taking it very seriously. As someone with strong connections to Northern Ireland I can assure you that while the majority of the population remains protestant there's no appetite to change the national anthem by the majority. Although I will concede that the majority is changing and at some point in the future chances are that appetite will change.

Users who are viewing this thread