Ambitious Appointment - Peter Scmeichel? (1 Viewer)

Tomh111

I said in another thread previously we need to make an ambitious managerial appointment that can inspire the players and the fans alike. Someone/something like Paolo Di Canio was to Swindon, I am not suggesting Di Canio because he is clearly not going to touch our pennyless club and I dont think he is the right fit.
But today the BBC is reporting that Schmeichel is looking at managing within England. An appointment like that of someone who was a world class player and who served under a world class manager and would still have links within the footballing world may be just be what is needed.
Yes he is unproven, but some club somewhere is going to have to give him his first shot at management and I would like it to be us.

Tomh111

He would be a good manager based on what exactly?

I never said he was a good manager/Is a good manager, I just said that things seem to point towards him being a good bet. Someone is always going to have to give a manager their first job and take a punt on them. I was suggesting it be us, at the very least I think it would inspire people and maybe bring some positivity to the club. Not to mention the years under Fergy.

Last edited:

CJparker

Can't think of many goalkeepers who went on to be good managers. Dino Zoff is the only one I can think of, and even then he was a legendary playerwho was given a good job with good players to work with.

Kevin Blackwell and Peter Shilton are the only 2 who spring to mind otherwise; neither is an inspiring choice.

Flying Fokker

A bit of a punt if we were to even consider him. Has he got his badges? Is he still his son's agent. I think he would be bad news for us at any time. We haven't got the luxury of being able to appoint unproven managers any more.

Nick

Administrator
Why not roberto baggio or gabriel batistuta? Just 2 random players!

I think we need a proper manager, we saw with robins what a proper manager can do!

Colonel Mustard

He would be a good manager based on what exactly?

As Lis said, learning from Fergie. He's also a big name who would pull in the crowds (atmospherically and financially profitable) and attract players; a commanding force of personality; arse-kicker and precise about what he wants (remember him in the Man Utd box); brilliant contacts in the game for mentoring and loan deals; comes across as intelligent, articulate.

Of course, nobody is guaranteed to be a successful manager when they first start out; but the basis for believing in Schmeichel is more solid than most, though.

Nick

Administrator
As Lis said, learning from Fergie. He's also a big name who would pull in the crowds (atmospherically and financially profitable) and attract players; a commanding force of personality; arse-kicker and precise about what he wants (remember him in the Man Utd box); brilliant contacts in the game for mentoring and loan deals; comes across as intelligent, articulate.

Of course, nobody is guaranteed to be a successful manager when they first start out; but the basis for believing in Schmeichel is more solid than most, though.

Why not roy keane, denis irwin or gary pallister? :)

Otis

Bobby Moore was a great player. Martin Peters, Bobby Charlton etc. etc.

Been some fantastic players who have made terrible managers.

Colonel Mustard

Why not roy keane, denis irwin or gary pallister? :)

I don't know much about Irwin and Pallister, but I personally found Keane wanting in various areas. Keane was an arrogant hothead who managed to walk out on his country and piss off Fergie. The same thing goes for Bryan Robson - he always came across as a bit thick and a party boy.

Godiva

He would be ok perfecting hoofball :/

Actually his trademark was throwing the ball to the centerline with inch perfect precision.
He won't come here though.

Flying Fokker

Actually his trademark was throwing the ball to the centerline with inch perfect precision.
He won't come here though.

No good for us then is it? Football being what it is.

An apology is due. I have never really focused on his throwing or anything else Man United, Man City, or anyone else for that matter. All I know is that we need a manager with a proven track record. Preferably one who has kicked the ball in midfield.

Last edited:
C

Clive Plattini

Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Mark Hughes to name a few managers who all played under Fergie. They are all shit managers. Just because you play under a good manager, it doesn't make you one.

Colonel Mustard

Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Mark Hughes to name a few managers who all played under Fergie. They are all shit managers. Just because you play under a good manager, it doesn't make you one.

That's not the argument for Schmeichel. It is not a case of 'name a famous footballer' - it is looking at their individual merits, and I think Schmeichel's rate much higher than any of the other names mentioned.

sky_blue_up_north

Bobby Moore was a great player. Martin Peters, Bobby Charlton etc. etc.

Been some fantastic players who have made terrible managers.

Spot on great player don,t make great managers, Fergie is good example of this

Cov City Daytrader 87

Can't think of many goalkeepers who went on to be good managers. Dino Zoff is the only one I can think of, and even then he was a legendary playerwho was given a good job with good players to work with.

Kevin Blackwell and Peter Shilton are the only 2 who spring to mind otherwise; neither is an inspiring choice.

Wasn't Nigel Atkins a goalkeeper?

stupot07

I never said he was a good manager/Is a good manager, I just said that things seem to point towards him being a good bet. Someone is always going to have to give a manager their first job and take a punt on them. I was suggesting it be us, at the very least I think it would inspire people and maybe bring some positivity to the club. Not to mention the years under Fergy.

Is he interested in getting back into football? Has he coached since retirement? Has he got his badges? Does he even want to be a manager?

Godiva

Is he interested in getting back into football? Has he coached since retirement? Has he got his badges? Does he even want to be a manager?

He's a TV anchorman on a Danish football show and has been for a number of years.
He doesn't have any badges.
I think if he ever goes back to the game it would be as football director - not as a manager.

ccfcrob

Tbf that theory isnt proven paul ince bryan robson mark robins steve bruce roy keane all played under fergie hasnt made them greats

Colonel Mustard

It is odd. Nobody in this thread has stated that great players automatically make great managers, and yet there are lots of responses denying what was never said.

stupot07

Like I said In my OP, it was on the BBC website today and that was adapted from the Sunday Times. Link below. So Nick no need to be as facetious by quoting 2 other random players.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/article1223731.ece

Fair enough, but I'd rather have someone who actually has some sort of coaching experience and badges even if its as a number 2 or reserve/academy boss.

It would be too much of a gamble to appoint someone who has absolutely no experience.

Brighton Sky Blue

Logical thing would be to hire the man who came second to Robins last time, providing the field of applicants hasn't changed.

Users who are viewing this thread