Alternatives to the Higgs? (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

hammerman

Move to Rushden or Worcester? Hahahaha. Got your Wasps season ticket yet? Do they promise you all a free ST if you come on here and help bang their drum? Italia certainly earns his.

What a dumb comment! I don't follow rugby at all. I've been a season ticket holder for 30 years at both Highfield Road and the Ricoh. I couldn't give a dam about an egg chasing team who have no links to the city. So next time keep your smartarse comments to yourself. If you find someone who sits on the group, they will confirm that this was spoken about. I know of two people who sit on the group, both have said the same thing.

Nick

Administrator
What a dumb comment! I don't follow rugby at all. I've been a season ticket holder for 30 years at both Highfield Road and the Ricoh. I couldn't give a dam about an egg chasing team who have no links to the city. So next time keep your smartarse comments to yourself. If you find someone who sits on the group, they will confirm that this was spoken about. I know of two people who sit on the group, both have said the same thing.

Which people?

Grendel

New swimming pool announced for the city centre new union street, so wasps don't need to fund one for the council at AHC

You've misheard I'm afraid. It's some ghastly water pool in the city centre which the alleged profits are going to make that will fund the projected losses of a 50 metre pool at the AHC

It's a joke they don't need an Olympic pool and the cost is upwards of £20 million.

To me it's obvious what's going to happen. The development at Higgs will be funded partly by the City of Rugby initiative which means wasps won't pay a penny

letsallsingtogether

It's an application to rip up the site of the CCFC academy and replace it with a facility for Wasps. It's not even been approved and Wasps are probably out picking curtains for the offices. It is an utter stitch up.

We want the club to commit long term to Higgs - the same Higgs that put a clause in a contract stopping the club signing a long term deal.

We all know that the new stadium idea was not likely to occur on SISU's watch - even though we probably need it.

That does not excuse the deplorable actions of Higgs/CCC and CSF here.

A lot of people made a lot of noise on here about fighting this move... And it's just turned into an apathetic acceptance - why is that??

Is it all because Anderson wanted some information in a letter??

It's embarrassing.
Yes it is embarrassing what do you propose we do?
Come on start it we will follow all this hot air and nothing to show for it.
What have you done so far bar cry in your milk?

speedie87

Does princethorpe college have a 3G pitch or just an Astro?

Plenty of land there too and only just up the road from ryton if we had the money to build one

Terry Gibson's perm

You've misheard I'm afraid. It's some ghastly water pool in the city centre which the alleged profits are going to make that will fund the projected losses of a 50 metre pool at the AHC

It's a joke they don't need an Olympic pool and the cost is upwards of £20 million.

To me it's obvious what's going to happen. The development at Higgs will be funded partly by the City of Rugby initiative which means wasps won't pay a penny

I may be pretty simple but surely they shouldn't build something just to counter the losses of something else they propose to build, surely sense says don't build the loss maker just in case the other doesn't make the money you expect. Or tell the people who want/need the 50m pool this will cost you x to use do you still want it.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

It's an application to rip up the site of the CCFC academy and replace it with a facility for Wasps. It's not even been approved and Wasps are probably out picking curtains for the offices. It is an utter stitch up.

We want the club to commit long term to Higgs - the same Higgs that put a clause in a contract stopping the club signing a long term deal.

We all know that the new stadium idea was not likely to occur on SISU's watch - even though we probably need it.

That does not excuse the deplorable actions of Higgs/CCC and CSF here.

A lot of people made a lot of noise on here about fighting this move... And it's just turned into an apathetic acceptance - why is that??

Is it all because Anderson wanted some information in a letter??

It's embarrassing.
You're right I'm still waiting and you're suggestions and plans were and are? So when do we start? Where at

Moff

Not aware of that. Any idea what the plans are?

Dirft is going in the opposite direction at the moment, towards Lilborne up the A5. The Mast site is the other side of Hilmorton and the railway. Not 100% where the station is supposed to end up but it won't be on Kilsby Lane as there's no rail tracks there, just the canal.

Trying to find out the plans, but cant contact the person who informed me. Will get back with it when I can.

Re the other stuff, I was just generally surmising that soon enough it will all be swallowed up and no longer be part of the green belt, but you are right for now its probably safe due to the position of the canal and the railway.

I passed by DIRFT a couple of days ago, and the development is huge, whilst the first houses are about to go up on the mast site. The station is going somewhere on the remaining fields left by the mast site so eventually Rugby will be joined to DIRFT, something older timers like us will be able to say we remembered that when it was all fields ;)

Captain Dart

Plenty of land there too and only just up the road from ryton if we had the money to build one

Funny all these colleges and local sports clubs own facilities that Coventry City haven't got. One might think there has been some neglect.

skybluetony176

Trying to find out the plans, but cant contact the person who informed me. Will get back with it when I can.

Re the other stuff, I was just generally surmising that soon enough it will all be swallowed up and no longer be part of the green belt, but you are right for now its probably safe due to the position of the canal and the railway.

I passed by DIRFT a couple of days ago, and the development is huge, whilst the first houses are about to go up on the mast site. The station is going somewhere on the remaining fields left by the mast site so eventually Rugby will be joined to DIRFT, something older timers like us will be able to say we remembered that when it was all fields ;)

Had a google and all I could find was something from 2012 for a sports hall that would also home Rugby gymnastics club. There was a pdf that was quite interesting (on phone so can't upload it) it talks about stealing some land from a neighbouring nature reserve but also has a drawing of the proposed building with a picture of a typical sports hall for football superimposed on top of it and what they're proposing is considerably smaller and the planning application goes out of it's way to point it out. Which goes back to what I was saying about the original building being height sensitive. I don't live to far away and this is the first I've heard of it to be honest. I know they're about to put an AstroTurf pitch in but I thought that the site was quite sensitive regarding building's.

Frankley

Unless it's been updated in the past couple of years, Princethorpe has an astroturf hockey pitch. As I recollect, the grass pitches there aren't really that great either.

Also, Princethorpe College is doing pretty well as an independent school and probably wouldn't be interested in selling off the playing fields, or entering into a business arrangement with a football club.

SkyBlueZack

Henry's land is on the A45/46, between the BP garage and tollbar island. It's on the left as you go towards tollbar. Lots of pitches, all rugby I think. Changing facilities but nothing else I don't think.

Nick

Administrator
Henry's land is on the A45/46, between the BP garage and tollbar island. It's on the left as you go towards tollbar. Lots of pitches, all rugby I think. Changing facilities but nothing else I don't think.
Ah yeah, remember now! On the left hand side isn't it?

Shakeitup

Sounds awfully similar to a hedge fund owned franchise club from down London way...

But at least they get things done!

If only SISU had some end product like Wasps did then we wouldn't even be moaning like a bunch of sad-sacks!

Frankley

Do you know if Bablake's 3g pitch is full sized? They have loads of pitches too.

Bablake and the Council have had previous run-ins over the playing fields.

I believe the current plan is to build a new Bablake Junior School on part of the playing fields site (I think it is going to be on the Old Wheatleyans section with an entrance on Norman Place Road). If the new junior school is built I don't think there will be scope for the Academy to use the pitches that will be left.

Shakeitup

I believe the current plan is to build a new Bablake Junior School on part of the playing fields site (I think it is going to be on the Old Wheatleyans section with an entrance on Norman Place Road). If the new junior school is built I don't think there will be scope for the Academy to use the pitches that will be left.

And there seems to have been lots of uproar as a covenant was in place to stop it being built. But as its Bablake its going ahead. Go figure!

Nick

Administrator

Are they? The Junior school is currently being expanded at the main site with some improvements I think.

When is that expected it to be done?

Edit: I remember now, people were on about losing their houses weren't they?

Frankley

And there seems to have been lots of uproar as a covenant was in place to stop it being built. But as its Bablake its going ahead. Go figure!

I think this all went to court and it was decided the covenant didn't mean the school couldn't be built.

As I recollect the late Cllr Townshend (who went to Bablake) stirred up the locals against his old school and then stood back and watched the residents incur massive legal bills.

Nick

Administrator
I think this all went to court and it was decided the covenant didn't mean the school couldn't be built.

As I recollect the late Cllr Townshend (who went to Bablake) stirred up the locals against his old school and then stood back and watched the residents incur massive legal bills.

Remember now, just seen it.

Can't personally see the issue with them putting a school there.

Last I heard though, they were expanding the current junior school and doing upgrades to that so maybe they put it on hold.

Frankley

Are they? The Junior school is currently being expanded at the main site with some improvements I think.

When is that expected it to be done?

Edit: I remember now, people were on about losing their houses weren't they?

That's right, a few local residents were encouraged by some councillors to take on the school and now they have massive legal bills.

Frankley

Can't see their beef with it to be fair.

I suppose it probably comes down to the residents not wanting the extra traffic a new school would bring.

Coventry School Foundation (which runs Bablake and KH VIII) is cash rich. Building a new junior school means it can fit more pupils onto both of it's sites and so earn yet more money. I think it is inevitable that the new junior school will be built, but the progression of the scheme through the planning process may be interesting to watch.

Shakeitup

Can't see their beef with it to be fair.

I think the problem was that right next door there is a Catholic primary school, along the same road you have another primary school (Hollyfast) and then you have Coundon Court that has about 2000 or so students next to that. These are all within a five minute walk.

Building a school is one thing. However, they should also upgrade the infrastructure as it would be unable to cope with the additional traffic.

Frankley

I think the problem was that right next door there is a Catholic primary school, along the same road you have another primary school (Hollyfast) and then you have Coundon Court that has about 2000 or so students next to that. These are all within a five minute walk.

Building a school is one thing. However, they should also upgrade the infrastructure as it would be unable to cope with the additional traffic.

Just to be devil's advocate for a moment, Bablake Junior School isn't just for children living in the immediate area of the school and every child that goes there is one that doesn't go to a state school.

The budget for each schoolchild in Coventry for 2015 was £4,862.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...is-a-postcode-lottery-head-teachers-warn.html

Let's say there are 1,000 kids at Bablake (I think it may be a little more than this) and 90% of them are from Coventry, that's £4,375,800 a year that the city is saving from it's educational budget.

I reckon you can get a lot of infrastructure upgrades for £4 million plus per year, every year.

chiefdave

Let's say there are 1,000 kids at Bablake (I think it may be a little more than this) and 90% of them are from Coventry, that's £4,375,800 a year that the city is saving from it's educational budget.

I reckon you can get a lot of infrastructure upgrades for £4 million plus per year, every year.
Is that how it works or do local councils get a set amount per child?

Nick

Administrator
Just to be devil's advocate for a moment, Bablake Junior School isn't just for children living in the immediate area of the school and every child that goes there is one that doesn't go to a state school.

The budget for each schoolchild in Coventry for 2015 was £4,862.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...is-a-postcode-lottery-head-teachers-warn.html

Yeah true, but then they should maybe wonder why people are willing to pay so much for an education when they could get one for free ;)

shmmeee

On topic: What was the issue with Warwick Uni? Could that be resurrected along with maybe other facilities elsewhere or some kind of investment into the site?

shmmeee

Yeah true, but then they should maybe wonder why people are willing to pay so much for an education when they could get one for free ;)

Because it gets you contacts. Though the small class sizes and increased budget and ability to pick and choose pupils helps too. You get roughly the same experience in a decent middle class state school (note: I wouldn't count any in Cov as that) as a private one, bar some of the extra-curricula stuff (though a lot of middle class parents pay for that anyway), the problem is you have to live close, private allows you to not have to live right next to your school.

Some people pay the money in house prices, some in fees. It's much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread