Alternative managers - who then? (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

His signings have been terrible, should have built a core of decent hardened league one players, then could have got a couple of pacey wingers and a goal scorer. We have signed complete unknows at this level and it's either going to be a stroke of genius or he'll be sacked by November (i'm going for the latter).

You talk as if it's just that easy to get a goalscorer! Don't you think every team wants that!? Really, Cody, Carazine could, SHOULD be our goalscorers!

Nick

Administrator
You talk as if it's just that easy to get a goalscorer! Don't you think every team wants that!? Really, Cody, Carazine could, SHOULD be our goalscorers!

It's not easy to just go and buy Ronaldo.

I agree they should be our goalscorers and as a team we should work to the strikers strengths. If we had a big fella like Platt up front we should be whipping crosses in, if we have somebody like Cody we should look to play them through while he plays off the last man.

hill83

I'm surprised Thorn hasn't played Bruno and McDonald up top together yet.

skybluegod

His signings have been terrible, should have built a core of decent hardened league one players, then could have got a couple of pacey wingers and a goal scorer. We have signed complete unknows at this level and it's either going to be a stroke of genius or he'll be sacked by November (i'm going for the latter).
so there shit for playing 2 games with this squad, not played in England before. notice how we have no money so we can't get the next ricky Lambert or grant holt

Last edited:

Marty

No it's not easy, never said it was and it involves a huge slice of luck too, but you need to build a squad, you need players to play of each other, you need players confident in each other, one will think if I make a run in front of that defender the lad on the wing will at least give me a chance to get something on the cross. You have to give yourself the best chance possible and I look at the signings and think, more of the same.

We could have got 2 half decent (top 10) defenders on frees, then just let them have pre season to settle into each other. From what I can see the players don't know who are first choice and neither does Thorn, there's building up of relationships on the pitch they need to go through, that only happens with game time. Would have done the same with the midfield, bring 2 in say they are my first choice and be done with it, likes of Thomas would be fighting for his place back. Before the end of the 2nd week of the transfer window the core players of the squad have been put together, you've sent a clear message out to everyone you mean business and then it gives you time to put deals together for the hotter prospects.

Nick

Administrator
does he have coaching badges though? and did he start at the bottom and chose not to continue to play football but manage from the age of 23?

I am pretty he sure he would have coaching badges. I can't see the argument especially as Thorn wasn't qualified for most of the season so where do badges come into it?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

are you saying zola(sacked from WHU stint,now at a championship mid table team) is on same level as louie van gaal?

another uneducated football fan who only goes to the games for a pint i see.

No. I was highlighting the ridiculous nature if Zola's name by citing an even more crazed candidate. It's called irony. Try it some time.

Did you see I mentioned a wizard out of Lord of the Rings too? That should have been your clue. Maybe you can nominate an irony-monitor to help your work on here?

Last edited:

covcity4life

your making it worse, you think zola is out of our league but someone like di canio went down to league 2,its not like zola has a great track record at prem level is it? i see potential in zola like swindon saw in di canio and we saw how that worked out, to try to mock it as realistic as getting van gaal as manager shows that you dont know much about football thats all.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

your making it worse, you think zola is out of our league but someone like di canio went down to league 2,its not like zola has a great track record at prem level is it? i see potential in zola like swindon saw in di canio and we saw how that worked out, to try to mock it as realistic as getting van gaal as manager shows that you dont know much about football thats all.

Let me spell it out for you. Zola. Is. Out. Of. Our. League.

Going in yet?

Tank Top

If it's not Thorn then who else could we REALISTICALLY have as Manager?

I think you could say without much doubt, that as the plan centres on cutting cost, then almost certainly it would be..Richard Shaw, in Tandem with Lee Carsley. I would also sugest that Andy Thorn
will be given a Dozen games to get it right, before the axe Falls.

covcity4life

zola has had 1 job that ended in failure and his dismissal he has now dropped a division,its not outlandish to think he could have dropped 2 ive wanted him since last year mind and as his watford switch has shown we could have got him this thread asks who we could get,notice i didnt say zola,i said i wanted him before watford got him if he was still unemployed he wouldnt defiently be an option

covcity4life

Ha ha, I know you are on a wind up but I bet you genuinely think you are the oracle of all that is football.

i think i know more than most yeah.

some guys think if they watch soccer a.m and a bit of soccer saturday they know their football,thats when you hear BS like "we got too many short players" and "we need tough tacklers like doyle back"

but they still love footy so i leave them be most of the time,feel sorry for them.

Nonleagueherewecome

Mary_Mungo_Midge

oh its going in mate

you.dont.know.as.much.about.football.as.me

Ha ha. That's right up there with 'my Dad's bigger than yours'. Your wit is sabre-sharp, and a veritably fear for my well-being. I bow at the knee to the alter of your greater knowledge.

That's our old friend 'irony' there again....

I guess this is the level of fare I'll have to acclimatise myself to, now the school holidays are upon us

Grendel

i think i know more than most yeah.

some guys think if they watch soccer a.m and a bit of soccer saturday they know their football,thats when you hear BS like "we got too many short players" and "we need tough tacklers like doyle back"

but they still love footy so i leave them be most of the time,feel sorry for them.

Zola is not a manager we could hope to attract with our current league status and ownership structure. He is only at Watford because of the connections through the new owners.

Nonleagueherewecome

Shaun dyche for me.... he did very well at watford and i dont think he would cost the ends of the earth to recruit, plus he has a point to prove after being sacked by watford's new owners

Noooo, seemed incredibly clueless to me. He's a poor-man's Dowie, and I mean that as an insult.

I'll repeat what I keep saying: a proven lower-league manager who always get the most from his resources. Someone who has consistently over-achieved, and is used to getting dross promoted and winning tough games at provincial shit-holes.

Someone like Paul Tisdale, John Still or an up-and-coming Dave Jones type. NOT somebody in their first job in management (Carsley), and not someone who hasn't managed below The Championship. Inexperience and unfamiliarity with our surroundings will be two of our major weaknesses this season, and both could be limited in impact with the right choice of manager.

Wildcard choices out of Non-league: David Hockaday of Forest Green, took them to a stupidly high position for a club of their size, plays attractive football, great track-record as a coach before then at Watford. Read this and tell me he couldn't tap into something AT did season before last, ahem- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Hockaday

Other over-achievers down there include Ian Bogie at Gateshead and Nicky Law at Alfreton.

If we want a bit of a bastard, test the Judas-esque loyalty of Mark McGhee at Bristol Rovers: completely transformed their season when he took over. He's very hungry and has a lot of people to prove wrong: unlike Boothroyd, he seems capable of achieving it.

I could offer you another dozen possibilities if you like. Think I like the idea of Hockaday most of all though now :D

Last edited:

Greggs

Zola and Di Canio are strong willed, professionally driven, proud men who wouldn't work for such clowns as Sisu. Thorn is just a flabby clueless sponge, happy to have a management job and doesn't have a clue what he is involved in.
THORN OUT

covcity4life

Zola is not a manager we could hope to attract with our current league status and ownership structure. He is only at Watford because of the connections through the new owners.

yes the owners played a part no doubt but at same time zola has not been linked to any prem jobs since why,he was always going to have to drop a level.

ClarrieB

Ha ha. That's right up there with 'my Dad's bigger than yours'. Your wit is sabre-sharp, and a veritably fear for my well-being. I bow at the knee to the alter of your greater knowledge.

That's our old friend 'irony' there again....

I guess this is the level of fare I'll have to acclimatise myself to, now the school holidays are upon us

You could always just spend time in the ARCADE, Free Kick Expert is pretty good.;)

blueflint

give it to carsley or get clingan back

the last one was tongue in cheek not to be taken seriusly

skybluegod

I am pretty he sure he would have coaching badges. I can't see the argument especially as Thorn wasn't qualified for most of the season so where do badges come into it?

thats what im saying he did have his badges and thorn did have the required badge last season

Users who are viewing this thread