Allsopp / Burge alternating (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
What are people's views on Pressleys idea if alternating the keepers over the course of the season? I've not heard of this before, unless he just means cup games of course (which teams do do), as surely it will unsettle the defence having different keepers behind them every game?

As for Burge playing tomorrow, I hope he does well and keeps hold of the shirt for a couple of games atleast!

sky_blue_up_north

Remember England doing it with Clemence and Shilton... not sure its good idea. It shows the lack of leadership and not knowing your best side

Hobo

We did it a bit before with Blyth and Sealey.

RFC

I'm assuming SP means Cup games (but maybe wrong), from what I've seen (witch is pretty limited) Allsopp is just edging it, probably on handling & experience.

RoboCCFC90

I think Lee needs to be given the chance, I think SP will see this as a chance for Lee to stake his claim for the number 1 spot. I have seen a bit of Allsopp and I can't say I am entirely convinced.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I think Lee needs to be given the chance, I think SP will see this as a chance for Lee to stake his claim for the number 1 spot. I have seen a bit of Allsopp and I can't say I am entirely convinced.

Me neither on the Allsopp front, which leads me to think maybe this is a tactic of Oressley to give Burge a second audition kind of thing.

Certainly wasn't vocal when we conceded the corner that lead to the penalty on Saturday, and I know from what I've seen of Burge he would have been yelling at Clarke if he was in goal, and if he didn't hear the yell, he'd have yelled a bit louder!

RoboCCFC90

Me neither on the Allsopp front, which leads me to think maybe this is a tactic of Oressley to give Burge a second audition kind of thing.

Certainly wasn't vocal when we conceded the corner that lead to the penalty on Saturday, and I know from what I've seen of Burge he would have been yelling at Clarke if he was in goal, and if he didn't hear the yell, he'd have yelled a bit louder!

Communication was the first thing I noticed about Allsopp, there were two other things I have noticed about Allsopp:

Kicking - Allsopp's kicking is woeful, distribution while the ball is on the floor is just ridiculous, only 3/10 passes he made on Saturday could have kept us possession other than that Bradford were being given the ball.

Handling - In fairness it's not just Allsopp, but the goal against Bristol Rovers was pathetic, but I worry about Allsopp coming for corners or anything coming from distance.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Communication was the first thing I noticed about Allsopp, there were two other things I have noticed about Allsopp:

Kicking - Allsopp's kicking is woeful, distribution while the ball is on the floor is just ridiculous, only 3/10 passes he made on Saturday could have kept us possession other than that Bradford were being given the ball.

Handling - In fairness it's not just Allsopp, but the goal against Bristol Rovers was pathetic, but I worry about Allsopp coming for corners or anything coming from distance.

I noticed hardly any of his kicks reached any of our players on Saturday too.

stupot07

I'm wondering whether Allsop hasn't been given permission to play in cup games....will be interesting to see whether he's on the bench.

I would still expect Allsop to start on Saturday. I'm not a big fan on chopping and changing keepers,but cups would give Burge chance to get some proper game time.

RoboCCFC90

I'm wondering whether Allsop hasn't been given permission to play in cup games....will be interesting to see whether he's on the bench.

I would still expect Allsop to start on Saturday. I'm not a big fan on chopping and changing keepers,but cups would give Burge chance to get some proper game time.

If the intention is that Allsop is only here for half a season then that could be an accurate assumption.

Despite the reasons behind it I am glad Burge is getting a chance. Who knows what'll happen if he does well.

wingy

If the intention is that Allsop is only here for half a season then that could be an accurate assumption.

Despite the reasons behind it I am glad Burge is getting a chance. Who knows what'll happen if he does well.

Sell Him ??:)

johnwillomagic

TBH I do not think he meant rotate them every game - cups and if a keeper loses form...this happens more often than you think.
Joe Hart springs to mind last season was "rotated" for a bit before we found form.....Arsenal goalies too till more recent times.

Think checking them both out first couple of games no bad thing at all. Obviously settled defence it is argued helps.....but to an extent
our defence was reasonably settled last year and we were not exactly water tight!!!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'd be surprised if we rotated in the league, Burge will play in the cups I suspect. Cardiff will probably win tomorrow but with the JPT and FA Cup there is an opportunity for him to get game time.

wingy

I'd be surprised if we rotated in the league, Burge will play in the cups I suspect. Cardiff will probably win tomorrow but with the JPT and FA Cup there is an opportunity for him to get game time.
Wednesday....;)

Gint11

No offense to the lad but think about it. If Allsopp was really decent Bournemouth wouldn't have let him go out on loan!

covcity4life

seen nothing to suggest SP is alternating them game by game?

is this as concrete as when certain posters said burge was gonna be starting the bradford game? hehe

LB87ccfc

So... the corner was not clarkes fault in any way no? Clarke was aware of everything around him no?

Clarke was not trying to be too clever heading it back although Allsop was waving it out No?

Allsop didnt go mental at Clarke after heading it out of play no?

FFS some people.

Burge is quiet as a mouse, was at Nuneaton last season on loan, was in the friendly.

shmmeee

is this as concrete as when certain posters said burge was gonna be starting the bradford game? hehe

From the quote it sounds more like he sees the cup games as a chance for Burge than he'll be alternating regularly.

lewys33

Exactly this. Really didn't fill me with confidence on Saturday.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
So... the corner was not clarkes fault in any way no? Clarke was aware of everything around him no?

Clarke was not trying to be too clever heading it back although Allsop was waving it out No?

Allsop didnt go mental at Clarke after heading it out of play no?

FFS some people.

Burge is quiet as a mouse, was at Nuneaton last season on loan, was in the friendly.

Calm down lad! I'm not saying it was all Allsopp's fault. Yes, Clarke was daft to put it out of play, but he must have felt there was some pressure on him? Otherwise there was no real reason for him to even move towards the ball, let alone put it out of play.

But, if there had been communication between the two, I don't think they'd have won that corner. And as we were the other end of the pitch, I don't think we can say for definite whether there was a shout that was ignored or not.

As for Burge being quiet, I take it you haven't seen him this pre season? As he's certainly not "as quiet as a mouse" now. Or if he is, his beetroot face is through wind and not by shouting......

sw88

Chief Commentator!

Not suggesting it will be every game, but for SP to want Burge to have a decent shot at being number 1, it just include some frequent changing, otherwise he could potentially play just 3 games all season (barring injury, a good cup run, or Allsopp not staying beyond January).

Hobo

The thing is outfield players often get subbed, it stimulates competition. You can bring players on 20 minutes here and there.

Giving your other keeper cup games makes sense.

Gint11

how come Beckham went on loan to Preston ?

Two reasons, 1) He was 19 2) He was at Man U, Full od stars and a talent but not quite ready for first team. I am not saying Allsopp isn't going to be for Bournemouth but he is nearly 23 and although that is young for a Goalie, if he was really that good, at 23, he would be in Bournemouth's first team.

chiefdave

I don't really see what playing Allsopp achieves. He doesn't appear to be that much better than Burge so we're basically developing someone else's player for them, what's in it for us?

If he does any good he'll be back at Bournemouth and we'll be back at square one. Remember if Burge doesn't get games he is free to leave, we could really shoot ourselves in the foot here and end up with them both playing elsewhere and having to look for a new keeper. Unless there's some deal to keep Allsopp permanently in January it doesn't' make much sense to me.

stupot07

I don't really see what playing Allsopp achieves. He doesn't appear to be that much better than Burge so we're basically developing someone else's player for them, what's in it for us?

If he does any good he'll be back at Bournemouth and we'll be back at square one. Remember if Burge doesn't get games he is free to leave, we could really shoot ourselves in the foot here and end up with them both playing elsewhere and having to look for a new keeper. Unless there's some deal to keep Allsopp permanently in January it doesn't' make much sense to me.

To be honest. You could say the same with shmeichell (sp?), Fulop, and steele's loans to name but a few young keepers that have come to us short team on loan to do a job for us in the past.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
2nd keeper playing cup games happens alot. and so it should. they deserve some sort of competitive action.

If it is just cup games, then yes, I see the sense in that. Just when I read Pressleys article part of me thought he was still unsure between the two. Suppose we will know what his thinking is if Burge plays tomorrow and Saturday :)

Users who are viewing this thread