All purpose cricket thread (4 Viewers)

chiefdave

Tonights the return of overnight cricket. Warwicks Dom Sibley making his debut but Woakes misses out as Curran plays.

Sky Sports for TV and 5 Live Sports Extra for TMS.

Didn't Sky used to do their own coverage of overseas tours? Looks like this winter they're just piping in the overseas broadcast so its mostly NZ commentators.

Looks a bit warmer than it is here.

Last edited:

superskyblue

I think UK broadcasters tend to piggy back on hosts coverage for most tours bar the Ashes. The NZ commentators are generally v.good though so no complaints from me.

Saw enough from Sibley to think he'll be a success. Teams will target that full outswinging delivery but I'm sure he'll work it out.

Burns impresses more and more. Really looks at home now.

Paul Anthony

Just reconfirmed what we saw in the Ashes. Our Test side isn't up to standard, capitulates far too easily and was handed an emphatic education by New Zealand.

Terry Gibson's perm

Is it too soon to be panicking about the Root / Silverwood partnership.

No Root needs to concentrate on his batting and his replacement shouldn’t be Buttler either as he is hardly worthy of his place.

The problem with the captaincy is all of the players are fast racked into test cricket so never captain their counties and most of the batsman lose form, personally I would go for Chris Woakes but I am not sure if he could handle Broad

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No Root needs to concentrate on his batting and his replacement shouldn’t be Buttler either as he is hardly worthy of his place.

The problem with the captaincy is all of the players are fast racked into test cricket so never captain their counties and most of the batsman lose form, personally I would go for Chris Woakes but I am not sure if he could handle Broad

Stokes has the personality and respect to control the dressing room but as with all captains you never know how it'd affect his form. He's becoming more of a back-up bowler IMO anyway because although he can have devastating spells he can be pretty expensive.

I know many don't feel that bowlers make good captains and arguably a batter should have more time to concentrate on fielding etc when the other team are batting, but batting requires immense concentration and even just a slight distraction from that thinking about the team overall can see you get out.

Terry Gibson's perm

Stokes has the personality and respect to control the dressing room but as with all captains you never know how it'd affect his form. He's becoming more of a back-up bowler IMO anyway because although he can have devastating spells he can be pretty expensive.

I know many don't feel that bowlers make good captains and arguably a batter should have more time to concentrate on fielding etc when the other team are batting, but batting requires immense concentration and even just a slight distraction from that thinking about the team overall can see you get out.

I thought of stokes but it feels like Botham again a lot going on around him

ccfchoi87

What about Burns? Good captaincy experience. I can’t imagine him being dropped any time soon as there is hardly a long list of potential openers. Maybe worried about his handling of spin?

Terry Gibson's perm

What about Burns? Good captaincy experience. I can’t imagine him being dropped any time soon as there is hardly a long list of potential openers. Maybe worried about his handling of spin?

Being an opener if he went well he would never be off the pitch and would burn out quickly

ccfchoi87

Poor day which could have been so much better. Going to be very interesting to see they can adapt this bowling attack to compete in Australia.

Terry Gibson's perm

Poor day which could have been so much better. Going to be very interesting to see they can adapt this bowling attack to compete in Australia.

A lot will depend on players fitness, I would expect to see Stone and Wood if fit in the side as they will try to match pace with pace and they might pick Broad just to get his bunny out

Gazolba

I just don't understand working carefully to build a big score and then throwing all your wickets away.
Root should have continued to occupy one end and let Pope and who ever replaced him bash away at the other end and rotate the strike.
They would have accumulated a much bigger lead.

chiefdave

Load of shit. 6 out caught behind. This could be over in 3 days if we're not careful.

Being the number 1 test team in the world seems a long time ago now.

Mcbean

Need to get them all out for 100 - unlikely but a target - first change to Archer and Curran is critical

Mcbean

Good effort by the openers to see if England can salvage anything from this game just a shame Sibley misjudged the spinner as he had looked comfortable up to then - They must have a chance !

Last edited:

Grendel

Good effort by the openers to see if England can salvage anything from this game just a shame Sibney misjudged the spinner as he had looked comfortable up to then - They must have a chance !

History suggests it’s a huge ask

Either way Root has to go. A comical decision to insert the opposition and then when he has them at 60 for 4 he plays a non slip field to a debutant senior batsman

Mcbean

Not often i agree with you ( apart from liking Hawkwind) but yes ! - biggest chase is 300 so one wicket down - and the batting order changed ideal for a ginger revolution - Bairstow and Stokes

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Pure madness to put them into bat.
1. Our players were feeling ill so still better to bat and let the others recuperate.
2. No one doesn’t bat first on a pitch like that in a first test.

He rotated the bowlers well but never went and told them to pitch it up. Archer in particular.
His field placings are poor.

not sure who should replace though? - Stokes?

Mcbean

Ok they are better today - shame Burns and Denley gone - this is still on - I have a chest infection so going nowhere just listening to the cricket followed by the football - my chest is burbling like a goodun

Grendel

Ok they are better today - shame Burns and Denley gone - this is still on - I have a chest infection so going nowhere just listening to the cricket followed by the football - my chest is burbling like a goodun

One player needs to adopt a one day mode and force the pace. The pitch will deteriorate and we’ve been strangled for runs.

Stokes is the is the obvious one - also Buttler should come in next. I don’t think the tail will hang around much - I suspect we lost this during the idiotic period when we allowed their number 11 to bat and bat and tried to bounce them out rather than bowl straight

Brighton Sky Blue

One player needs to adopt a one day mode and force the pace. The pitch will deteriorate and we’ve been strangled for runs.

Stokes is the is the obvious one - also Buttler should come in next. I don’t think the tail will hang around much - I suspect we lost this during the idiotic period when we allowed their number 11 to bat and bat and tried to bounce them out rather than bowl straight

Agree with the last bit. Never understood the logic behind that.

Grendel

Taxi for Root as captain - this has been a nightmare even by his standards

Grendel

Silver wood looks like the clueless one and is about as good

Gazolba

Why do we keep picking people who can't bat?
And why haven't we heard from Geoffrey Boycott recently?
I hope he isn't ill.

Mcbean

Why do we keep picking people who can't bat?
And why haven't we heard from Geoffrey Boycott recently?
I hope he isn't ill.
Boycs is not involved with TalkSPORT but he has a newspaper column and he is isn’t holding back

Gazolba

Boycs is not involved with TalkSPORT but he has a newspaper column and he is isn’t holding back
He usually has comments on the BBC website, but I haven't seen any from him recently.
What newspaper is his column in?
Maybe I can find something online.

Users who are viewing this thread