All purpose cricket thread (2 Viewers)

chiefdave

Just realised as I started the thread I can change the title so we're not stuck on Englands 2019/20 tour anymore!

Tour to SA descend into farce. Postponed games, then cancelled due. Players all coming home due to failed tests which now turn out to be false positives.

Not sure we'll get any more cricket until next summer now. New Zealand and Australia seem the only viable places and we have a tour to Aus next winter. New Zealand schedule is packed so doubt anything will be scheduled in. Maybe just give the players some time off after months being in bio-bubbles.

In brighter news Tailenders will be in Brum next year.

Mcbean

It’s a shame I really enjoyed the T20s and the earlier West Indies and Aussie games - they were a welcome watch and listen - in these times of forced retirement at home I need such things to give me a break from the wife 😀

superskyblue

One of my friends who lives in Melbourne is getting married next Christmas. Desperately hoping to be able to get over there for his wedding and the Boxing Day Test. Hopefully we're still in the series by that point!

superskyblue

Didn’t get to play at all this year, hopefully make up for it next.

I managed to get a couple of games in. It all felt very normal except for no tea (which 99% of the time is shite anyway so not a miss in my view). It was one of the few things I've been able to do this year that provided some familiarity and normality.

chiefdave

Fantastic performance from England this morning but Sri Lanka have been woeful.

Started the morning with TMS and Aggers commenting from his loft in a dressing gown. Then onto Sky and David Lloyd talking about commentary being interrupted by the bin men and postman!

Terry Gibson's perm

Fantastic performance from England this morning but Sri Lanka have been woeful.

Started the morning with TMS and Aggers commenting from his loft in a dressing gown. Then onto Sky and David Lloyd talking about commentary being interrupted by the bin men and postman!

I think the days of the commentators travelling with the team have gone, they can do it from home at a fraction of the cost and it makes no difference I didn’t even realise until bumble spoke about putting out his bin.

chiefdave

I think the days of the commentators travelling with the team have gone, they can do it from home at a fraction of the cost and it makes no difference I didn’t even realise until bumble spoke about putting out his bin.
Lot of other sports do this already but they don't make any mention of it. The smaller channels aren't flying people all over the place to commentate. BBC website has started doing it as well, for example thy've been running commentary on Big Bash games in Australia without sending any commentators out there.

Presume there's a slight delay on the broadcast so they can sync the picture with the commentary as there isn't any noticeable delay. You're only talking seconds though and people are used to it now. HD is slightly behind SD and as we know from match day threads streaming can be couple of minutes behind.

Even if you want them all in the same room to interact with each other you can do that without having them follow the team around. Sky have got Nasser and Athers in the studio and the other commentators at home.

Mcbean

Bugger bugger bugger i looked at the time and saw 4.30 - thought it was this afternoon - could have listened earliar on as i was awake at 4 - now got it on - missed all the fun of their innings

chiefdave

Will have to catch up with the highlights. Between cricket and ice hockey everything I want to watch is on in the middle of the night!

Was looking at the England schedule last night. They've got 3 ODIs against Netherlands in Amsterdam, all at the same ground. Looks lovely, tempted to make a trip if we're allowed by then.

Seems by far the cheapest option of attending a England overseas tour, even if it is likely to be a lot of fringe players. Should be able to get a flight for under £100 and there's an Ibis by the ground which should be pretty cheap.

superskyblue

Will have to catch up with the highlights. Between cricket and ice hockey everything I want to watch is on in the middle of the night!

Was looking at the England schedule last night. They've got 3 ODIs against Netherlands in Amsterdam, all at the same ground. Looks lovely, tempted to make a trip if we're allowed by then.

Seems by far the cheapest option of attending a England overseas tour, even if it is likely to be a lot of fringe players. Should be able to get a flight for under £100 and there's an Ibis by the ground which should be pretty cheap.

Sounds like a great little trip. Might look into that myself.

Terry Gibson's perm

Games are 21st, 23rd and 26th May next year (postponed from this year) at the VRA Stadium. Grounds only a couple of miles from the airport. Probably cheaper to stay near the ground and you're only about 15 minutes by tram away from the centre.

View attachment 18299

There will be a big england following there if we can travel by then.

Terry Gibson's perm

tisza

Decent win against Sri Lanka. Another 50 runs could have been a challenge but nice bounce back by the bowlers in Sri Lanka's 2nd innings

Terry Gibson's perm

still a squad in desperate need of a rebalance. Too many bowlers, not enough top order batsmen.
Short on experienced leadership too with Bell, Patel and Ambrose gone.
Briggs signing is intriguing.

Briggs is one of the best available most of the season spinners, Bess will be in and around the England squad so will be little use for Yorkshire.

Soon it will be time for Moeen Ali to return home as well.

They need to find a batsmanlike Chopra not good enough for England but a good solid county pro

Mcbean

Was up at 4.30 and got the whole day in - good win India will be far tougher clearly - Stokes and Arch back and maybe the two openers need a change - Sibley not dynamic enough for me

SBAndy

Was up at 4.30 and got the whole day in - good win India will be far tougher clearly - Stokes and Arch back and maybe the two openers need a change - Sibley not dynamic enough for me

Isn’t Sibley’s selling point that he isn’t dynamic? Haven’t we had enough of ‘dynamic’ openers?

Mcbean

Good news - I would say that I am disappointed that the BBC did not get the rights for TMS as I will be listening to much of it while in bed and apart from Goughie I am not too keen on the TS commentators

SBAndy

Can’t say I’ve watched any of it so far, but seems Root has hit form at the right time.

chiefdave

Can’t say I’ve watched any of it so far, but seems Root has hit form at the right time.
Bit odd that the highlights are only on the C4 streaming service. And even then it took them until nearly 6pm to get them online and they were less than 30 minutes!

Think they'll be very happy with the overnight ratings. 1.1m watching, thats more than Sky get for summer Ashes tests!

Going well so far, down to the bowlers now. Be interesting to see how Jimmy does with the new ball they are using. Has a more pronounced seam at the request of the Indian spinners to help them get more grip and therefore more revolutions on the ball but should help Anderson. Is also designed for the seam to remain prominent for more overs.

Terry Gibson's perm

Bit odd that the highlights are only on the C4 streaming service. And even then it took them until nearly 6pm to get them online and they were less than 30 minutes!

Think they'll be very happy with the overnight ratings. 1.1m watching, thats more than Sky get for summer Ashes tests!

Going well so far, down to the bowlers now. Be interesting to see how Jimmy does with the new ball they are using. Has a more pronounced seam at the request of the Indian spinners to help them get more grip and therefore more revolutions on the ball but should help Anderson. Is also designed for the seam to remain prominent for more overs.

Are they a duke or is that thing that is only fit for dogs to chase?

chiefdave

Are they a duke or is that thing that is only fit for dogs to chase?
Its a Sanspareils Greenlands ball. Never heard of them before this, usually the debate is Duke or Kookaburra.
An uthi hui (pronounced) seam, a darker shade of red and a harder core to prevent the ball from becoming soft early in the innings on Indian outfields. The official match ball used for the Test series against England will be a bit different in nature.

It will provide ‘extra bounce’ and retain its hardness till the 60th over, according to official ball suppliers Sanspareils Greenlands (SG).

Users who are viewing this thread