All eggs in one basket? (1 Viewer)

phildownunder

I`ve been listening in and reading comments on here enough to know that the team has a number of shortcomings so I`ve lowered my expectations and I`ll be "happy" with survival this season.
I don`t think it will be possible to fill all the gaps in January as it would mean spreading the budget (assuming we still have one) too widely and probably recruiting players no better than those they replace.
It`s pretty clear I think that with a decent striker we would be at least a little higher in the table. So just supposing a proven goalscorer was available would it be worth putting up all or most of any money to try to lure him here?
I know it would be high risk and knowing our luck he`d probably get a season ending injury on his debut, but I wonder what others think.

ccfcway

we have a top half of the league budget. so at the very least that is where I expect us to be. The idea is we have a manager who can (with that budget) have a bit of luck with signings, know his tactics, get his players to play for him and have a push for the play offs or better.

The reality is something different

RegTheDonk

After throwing away what looked a decent chance to get ourselves promoted this time last year, I didn't have much expectation for this season if I'm honest. My expectation at the moment is stagnation. I just hope the current players and Venus can pull their fingers out and keep us in this league - and for the foreseeable future.

Am happy to be proved wrong, but my gut feeling is we are an insignificant blip on Joy's radar and as long as we don't cost her too much money, she'll be happy to keep us breathing (in whatever league it doesn't matter) just as long as that serves some purpose in the legal wrangles. Someone said they heard on CWR the JR is over? If so thank god because this limbo needs to be resolved one way or another. Lets hope Malaka's crumb of comfort that something could be going on behind the scenes is the shot in the arm this club needs, because we'll never be going upwards unless theres investment or a change of owner.

Paxman II

I am definitely not satisfied with survival. I expected a run to the playoffs at least this season. Looking at the table it would not be a mamouth feat to make the playoffs but with the forward line we have at the moment that is a pipe dream. TM left for a reason. Any new manager will have the same constraints. What we need is a talisman figure both on the pitch and manager. Someone like a Dennis Wise. Grabbing a good striker on loan will need us to improve again before January and get to mid table. If we are down in the bottom reaches still then why would they come here and play in a struggling side? What about Joe Cole? He's been playing remarkably well in the States...could he be that talisman figure in the short term?

phildownunder

'Happy' with survival in League 1 FFS !! That's what we've been reduced to !

The way things are looking there is a real chance of relegation this season and as things stand at present if I was offered 5th from bottom this season I`d definately take it.
How happy I would be about that can be inferred from my use of inverted commas. It was meant to convey realism.

Users who are viewing this thread