Alistair McGowan - City supporter? (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

On some TV program he has said he used to drive from Evesham to the City to watch them to support his team?
I always thought he was a Leeds fan but he is from Evesham...

illphil80

id heard that before yeah.. but recently on some chat show he said he has changed teams a few times. mentioned 2 other teams but not us. and there i was waiting for him to say it was cov

AngryAnt

Last i heard he said that he really got into football in the 90's and would watch it religiously, supporting a few teams (Leeds and us being the main two). Think now he's mostly just a leeds fan, but hopefully still holds a small place for our club. We seem to have rotten luck when it comes to famous fans, most claim they support other teams (can't blame them).

Otis

Yes, he's said he is a City supporter. But obviously so as a glory supporter on the back of all our success and triumphs.

ccfc_Tom

yeah saw that too, said he used to go watch cov city though so doesnt go anymore if he does still support us

Otis

I get the impression he is

I'm sure he has been up a few times to the Ricoh.

Would explain my seeing David Beckham, Sven, Stevie Gerrard, Gary Linekar and Jose Mourinho in the stands ..... as well as Tony Blair, Robert Kilroy-Silk and The Prince of Wales.

dutchman

I'm sure he has been up a few times to the Ricoh.

Would explain my seeing David Beckham, Sven, Stevie Gerrard, Gary Linekar and Jose Mourinho in the stands ..... as well as Tony Blair, Robert Kilroy-Silk and The Prince of Wales.

I'd completely forgotten who McGowan was so it took me a while to get that one! :laugh:

wingy

Did adetective series 2or 3 years ago,set in Leamington ,there were several references to city,while we're back on the subject of celebrity fans one of Cody's best mates is Olly Murs (yawn),they played football together before Cody's dartford days so iguess hes likely to show up at the ricoh.

Disorganised1

Isn't the actor who plays Ian Beale in Eastenders a City fan ?

Lord Cantlmere

Alistair was a huge fan of the 'Close but no cigar' Coventry City era. Principally the teams from Ndlovu-Quinn (1992-93) through Hucks-Dublin (1997-1999) then finally the short lived Keane-Roussel side (1999-2000).

Following this, I think the chilly Tuesday night draws against Rotherham Utd, following relegation, proved too much for the poor orchard picker and he decided to shift his emotional portfolio over to Spurs and Man U.

Can't say I blame the lad; it's the perennial problem of being a 'distance-supporter', no ancestral link to the City, poor form and an even bleaker outlook up ahead. So it becomes a no brainer when you've got to travel 40 miles or more to get here. I did a similar thing with Northampton Rugby a few years back. We live in a consumer society and sports clubs market themselves as brands. People like Alistair are a direct result of that. I haven't got a problem with it in all fairness-more revenue for the club.

I think Eddie Jordan's career path as a City fan is very similar to Alistair's by the way. Plus, according to the British Medical Council, there is also a phenomenon known as 'latent Coventry City fan'. This is where everyone from Clive Owen to Dermot Murnaghan profess to always having supported the Sky Blues. This 'effect' takes place following FA Cup wins or sustained periods in the top six.

(Hate mail from Cov Rugby fans can be directed to my bogus PO box below)

PO Box Astonvilla0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread