Alex Lacey (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Coventry City are interested in Yeovil Town’s impressive young centre-half Alex Lacey.

The Telegraph understands that Sky Bluesboss Mark Robins has been monitoring the 23-year-old’s progress at Huish Park where the defender has been one of the Glovers’ players of the season.

Lacey is out of contract this summer and expected to be offered fresh terms by the Somerset club that is managed by former Yeovil midfielder Darren Way.

But if Coventry make a move for the centre-back a switch to the Ricoh Arena might well be tempting for the player who will, no doubt, share Robins’s ambitions for promotion in order to test himself at a higher level.

Arguably Yeovil’s most improved player this term, the 6ft 2inch tall player has established himself as a key part of the centre of the defence for the League Two side that finished 20th, four points clear of relegation.

Lacey has forged partnerships with Nathan Smith, Bevis Mugabi and Darren Ward – older brother of former City defender Elliott – throughout the season and has been a commanding figure regardless of who he has played with, and able to play either right or left sided centre-half.

The former Luton Town Academy graduate has also added goals to his game this season, with four in all competitions, including one against his home town club MK Dons in the Checkatrade Trophy.

steve82

Sounds like a good target if true, young hungry and hopefully talented in the art of defending.
Only 23 still but has over 100 career appearances already and chalked up almost as many match minutes as Jordan Willis so has gained that vital early learning experience unlike a academy loan would of.
Nice work if it materialises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Sounds like a good target if true, young hungry and hopefully talented in the art of defending.
Only 23 still but has over 100 career appearances already and chalked up almost as many match minutes as Jordan Willis so has gained that vital early learning experience unlike a academy loan would of.
Nice work if it materialises.

did you not say we need to sign 25 year olds or older? just asking not suggesting.

chiefdave

Never heard of him! Think that will be a recurring theme of our targets this summer. Decent write up though, if thats accurate he'd be a decent signing.

Seems like we've started out looking at more realistic targets than last year.

steve82

did you not say we need to sign 25 year olds or older? just asking not suggesting.

I said we ideally need to add some players of this age yes, but also players with over 100 apps and experience of league two.
We need that balance of youth and experience, so with Willis most likely to go this summer a player in Lacey with the same amount of experience is ideal replacement and on a free too.
I'd imagine he'd be the more comfortable ball playing quick one who'd be paired with a more experienced rugged commanding type.
Remember we need to bring in 10+ players, plenty of age ranges to go for in certain areas.

higgs

Exciting !! Shows how far from grace we have fallen :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

covcity4life

I said we ideally need to add some players of this age yes, but also players with over 100 apps and experience of league two.
We need that balance of youth and experience, so with Willis most likely to go this summer a player in Lacey with the same amount of experience is ideal replacement and on a free too.
I'd imagine he'd be the more comfortable ball playing quick one who'd be paired with a more experienced rugged commanding type.
Remember we need to bring in 10+ players, plenty of age ranges to go for in certain areas.

i agree. just wanted to get confirmation on your thoughts. as you have championed experienced 30year old cbs in past.

and i would have no issue with one coming in now if the other 3 are lacey,willis and turnbull. it would make sense and give us a solid core. i really hope willis stays

McLovin87

Exciting !! Shows how far from grace we have fallen :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
We signed Stuart Pearce from Wealdstone!

sky blue john

This is exactly how we continue in this ever decreasing circle of the team getting weaker season on season. How can this lad be called an ideal replacement for Willis?
Nothing against the lad untill i've seen him play a few games but nobody can tell me this is positive and will strengthen the team.

clint van damme

This is exactly how we continue in this ever decreasing circle of the team getting weaker season on season. How can this lad be called an ideal replacement for Willis?
Nothing against the lad untill i've seen him play a few games but nobody can tell me this is positive and will strengthen the team.

if you haven't seen him play how can you comment either way?

Littlewood CCFC

Lmao Cov fans sumed up in a few sentences

covcity4life

has a point about willis though. acting like this 23 year old league 2 player will be better than the 23(i think) year old league 1 player who we already have at squad.

Liquid Gold

Your knowledge of football is somehow worse than your charisma.

steve82

I'll clear this up....
I said Alex Lacey has chalked up as many games and match minutes as Jordan Willis. We would be possibly getting in a likely replacement for Willis with the same experience levels all be it a league or two lower.
This should be seen as a positive over a loan who's only experienced 5 mins here and there at the end of games or capital cup games.
At no point did I say he was any better or worse than Jordan Willis.
Cannot put it any clearer.

steve82

i agree. just wanted to get confirmation on your thoughts. as you have championed experienced 30year old cbs in past.

and i would have no issue with one coming in now if the other 3 are lacey,willis and turnbull. it would make sense and give us a solid core. i really hope willis stays

I still think we need a couple of 30 year olds in key areas. Not necessarily flood the squad with them but a few strategic areas where they can influence and calm those around using there experience in the game to slow it down and such...
I still think a senior central defender in the back 4 would compliment it especially if burge is to retain the no1 spot.
Willis I highly doubt he will stay given he's only 1 year left on his current deal. Sisu can ill afford to let him walk away for peanuts or nothing in the future.

Last edited:

sky blue john

I understand the situation we are are in but i've seen it all before. We let our central midfield partnership go before the start of last season. What were they replaced with and where did that get us?

steve82

Lol.
Simple really who is likely to be the better player Lacey or our current captain Willis?

Depends on several factors don't it...
No1 being Is he being sold?
Is he playing CB or at RB where MR has used him the most.
Lacey is a CB, he may well not be Willis replacement, maybe he's lined up for Turnbull as Willis has played more at RB

Users who are viewing this thread