Albums That Have Stood The Test Of Time ? (1 Viewer)

Otis

No it doesn’t. It’s paying homage. Louie Louie by the kingsman isn’t timeless is it?
Nope, it isn't.

Here's an example then. Elbow recorded Golden Slumbers, pretty everyone at my daughter's school in Years 9 and 10 loved it, but next to no-one knew it was by the Beatles and believed it to be an Elbow song.

That points to it still being relevant in the modern world. It's not as if they did a modern interpretation of an old song, they did it pretty much by the numbers.

Grendel

Nope, it isn't.

Here's an example then. Elbow recorded Golden Slumbers, pretty everyone at my daughter's school in Years 9 and 10 loved it, but next to no-one knew it was by the Beatles and believed it to be an Elbow song.

That points to it still being relevant in the modern world. It's not as if they did a modern interpretation of an old song, they did it pretty much by the numbers.

The song I refer to has been covered through several decades.

In fact even the Kinsgmen version was a cover from the 1950’s - I believe it’s the most covered song in history

Otis

The song I refer to has been covered through several decades.

In fact even the Kinsgmen version was a cover from the 1950’s - I believe it’s the most covered song in history
I bet many are interpretations and modernisation of the song though.

I said Golden Slumbers because the Elbow version is pretty much identical to the Beatles version and the fact that people were loving the song, thinking it was a new song surely makes it still relevant.

Iggy Pop's version of Louie Louie is a mile away from the original.

Grendel

I bet many are interpretations and modernisation of the song though.

I said Golden Slumbers because the Elbow version is pretty much identical to the Beatles version and the fact that people were loving the song, thinking it was a new song surely makes it still relevant.

Iggy Pop's version of Louie Louie is a mile away from the original.

But there’s only really one reason anyone has even heard this cover really isn’t there?

Gazolba

Forever Changes by Love, 1967:

Last edited:

Gazolba

The Knack "Round Trip", 1981:

Grendel

Someone seems not to have understood the concept and others obsessed with the pap bowl haircut foresome

So here we go

AC DC - Highway to Hell

Evanescence - Fallen

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

Otis

Someone seems not to have understood the concept and others obsessed with the pap bowl haircut foresome

So here we go

AC DC - Highway to Hell

Evanescence - Fallen

Wolfmother - Wolfmother
Yeah, obsessed with them so much I listed other bands and other albums and then agreed on Nevermind.

Kneeza

Just a few that have stood the test of time for me (emphasis on 'for me'):

The Who - Who's Next
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel*
Steve Winwood - Arc of a Diver
Babe Ruth - First Base
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Quireboys - A bit of what you fancy
Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes
Bob Seger - The Distance
Indian Summer - Indian Summer

*1980 - Intruder, Biko etc

Otis

Oh and on people 'not getting the concept'

Screenshot_2018-05-15-09-19-44.png

Last or remain popular for a long time.

I would say Abbey Road and the Beatles in general still remain very popular and have done 'for a long time.'

I do think Sgt Pepper's has dated, same as the Beach Boys Pet Sounds, but Abbey Road and a lot of the White Album and the BB's Surf's Up, still sound great today and still remain popular amongst listeners and critics.

I am a big fan of Depeche Mode, but like I said, some of their early stuff really doesn't sound as good as it used it.

One of my favourite all-time tacks of DM was Everything Counts in Large Amounts, but I played it the other day for the first time in an age and it sounded so dated and tinny.

When you listen to something like Halo or In Your Room they still sound great and it's interesting to note, DM have stopped playing nearly all of the early hits they had, live.

Last edited:

Malaka

Master of Reality: Black Sabbath
Heaven & Hell: Black Sabbath
Nevermind: Nirvana
Never Mind the Bollocks: Sex Pistols
What's the Story: Oasis
Top of the Pop's: Various Artists (joke)

Captain Dart

The Beatles haven’t stood the test of time at all - it sounds ridiculous now
Any album by Marillion has stood the test of time, they are all still absolute drivel.

Mcbean

Oh god where do i start - its very personal
- i listened to Tubular bells last night - to go to sleep to - brilliant construction
Dark Side literally is the greatest album for me - its content is timeless - extremes of sound and music - will go on and on and on and on for ever for me
Crime of the Century Supertramp - great variety and singalongability - lyrics are excellent
Hunky Dory - a smogasborg of Bowie talent
Never mind the Bollocks - a variety of music that surprised many who thought that they could not only not play a note but write music !
Goodbye Yellow Brick road - clever writing music and lyrics with three great single tracks - Bennie , Saturday nights alright for fighting , Goodbye Norma Jean and sleepers like Grey seal and Funeral for a friend
Made in Japan - surely one of the greatest live albums - Smoke on the water and Spacetrucking

bringbackrattles

- i listened to Tubular bells last night - to go to sleep to - brilliant construction
Dark Side literally is the greatest album for me - its content is timeless - extremes of sound and music - will go on and on and on and on for ever for me
Crime of the Century Supertramp - great variety and singalongability - lyrics are excellent
Never mind the Bollocks - a variety of music that surprised many who thought that they could not only not play a note but write music !
Goodbye Yellow Brick road - clever writing music and lyrics with three great single tracks - Bennie , Saturday nights alright for fighting , Goodbye Norma Jean and sleepers like Grey seal and Funeral for a friend
Made in Japan - surely one of the greatest live albums - Smoke on the water and Spacetrucking

bringbackrattles

Now that's what I call a great taste in music !

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Rattus norvegicus - the stranglers

Covstu

Appetite for destruction- GnR
Definitely Maybe - oasis
Different class - Pulp
Parklife and/or MLIR - Blur

Kneeza

Master of Reality: Black Sabbath
Heaven & Hell: Black Sabbath
Nevermind: Nirvana
Never Mind the Bollocks: Sex Pistols
What's the Story: Oasis
Top of the Pop's: Various Artists (joke)
The first, third, and fourth of these really ought to have been on my list too...

Users who are viewing this thread