Aj Usyk (1 Viewer)

eastwoodsdustman

He went into his shell as soon as he got tagged. He knows he can’t recover from a decent punch and was scared of getting caught again.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Sounds like he will go for the rematch, i can't see anything other than an Usyk win in that, most likely via knockout if AJ goes nore aggressively. Id prefer to see AJ fight a couple of others before going after Usyk again but i don't think he will go that route. Would love to see Usyk v Fury once he's battered Wilder again.

LastGarrison

Sounds like he will go for the rematch, i can't see anything other than an Usyk win in that, most likely via knockout if AJ goes nore aggressively. Id prefer to see AJ fight a couple of others before going after Usyk again but i don't think he will go that route. Would love to see Usyk v Fury once he's battered Wilder again.
If it happens Joshua has to go for the knockout and as you say that leaves him susceptible to being knocked out.

I just don’t see how Joshua beats Usyk based on last nights performance and I know I’m a bit of a Fury fanboy but he would embarrass Joshua.

Where does Joshua go from here?

rob9872

Losing weight was a big mistake imo. Cruisers are generally better boxers but what they don't have is the power of a heavy and to concede that advantage seems odd. I understand he wanted not to be blowing after a couple of rounds but his best tactic would have been use that power, work on the body shots and get him out of there early. It sounds easy in hindsight but I was saying it a couple of weeks ago and if an amateur watcher like me can see it, then hard to believe his team didn't at least consider it that way. He had height, age, weight, reach and being at home all on his side and used none of the weapons. All that said and whilst I agree with most of above that he loses to fury and that usyk was great on the night, I'm sure there will be a rematch clause and I still expect AJ to win that.

If it happens Joshua has to go for the knockout and as you say that leaves him susceptible to being knocked out.

I just don’t see how Joshua beats Usyk based on last nights performance and I know I’m a bit of a Fury fanboy but he would embarrass Joshua.

Where does Joshua go from here?

He either takes the rematch and most likely loses (unless we somehow see a massive change of approach and improvement that seems unlikely) or could get a nice earner vs Whyte in a grudge match id say. The alternative is a couple of comeback fights vs garbage that dont really do much for anyone

Covkid1968#

When’s Dillon’s chance….on that showing he would have put up a better showing than AJ

tisza

The fix was on until those last 4 rounds...

Foster should be investigated, how on earth anyone could give AJ the first 2 rounds is ridiculous.

View attachment 21983
scoring always a lottery. Always here commentators going on that different judges like different things (eg number of punches vs quality of punches vs types of punch etc). Shouldn't be so subjective. American liked Joshua for the 2nd too, only Ukrainian gave Joshua 4th - I thought he lost all 4.

Bugsy

Nick

Administrator
Anybody else notice the bell went early in the last round when AJ was on the ropes not guarding?

CCFCSteve

Great article by Bunce below. I’m struggling to see how AJ wins a rematch (if it happens) unless he fights to his strengths….even then it’s a long shot. I thought before the fight it was a 50/50 and wasn’t overly surprised with his fight went apart from I thought AJ might just go for it after 4-5 round - I wonder if Ruiz 1 defeat is still stuck in the back of his mind though ??

Still had a great time. Amazing stadium !

CJ_covblaze

Great article by Bunce below. I’m struggling to see how AJ wins a rematch (if it happens) unless he fights to his strengths….even then it’s a long shot. I thought before the fight it was a 50/50 and wasn’t overly surprised with his fight went apart from I thought AJ might just go for it after 4-5 round - I wonder if Ruiz 1 defeat is still stuck in the back of his mind though ??

Still had a great time. Amazing stadium !

It’s an amazing place isn’t it. Felt completely different to what it does to football.

Greggs

Enjoyed every minute watching that fraud get beat, schooled and slapped about. Not long before he pops up on Strictly Come Dancing

Rich

Is it part of his plan? He lost to the fat Mexican in a shock defeat but then beat him in a rematch when he was a lot fitter.
This time he’s lost to an absolutely quality boxer who he will again come back and best in a rematch.
Let’s be honest in both his defeats he didn’t really fight like we all know he’s capable.

Greggs

I don’t like all this fraud bollocks. He’s an Olympic gold medalist, won various belts and beaten a load decent heavyweights after taking up the sport at 18 ! Yeah, he’s maybe made more than his skills/ability warranted but good luck to him.
He was gifted that gold medal at the Olympics, watch the fight again and tell me he won it. He was a business project at a time when Heavyweight boxing was at it's lowest. Nothing but a hype machine and a cash cow for his promoters. He won his Word title against Charles Martin ffs!!
Glad he's been figured out and the boxing casuals can stop wanking over him.

CCFCSteve

He was gifted that gold medal at the Olympics, watch the fight again and tell me he won it. He was a business project at a time when Heavyweight boxing was at it's lowest. Nothing but a hype machine and a cash cow for his promoters. He won his Word title against Charles Martin ffs!!
Glad he's been figured out and the boxing casuals can stop wanking over him.

Whether he was lucky in the final or not (I saw it) I think he’d been boxing for four years FFS and had limited amateur grounding. He’d actually beaten Cammerelle who was Olympic gold medalist, at the Worlds the year before. Yeah, he won his first belt with a gimme against Martin. But beating Klitschko, Whyte, Parker, Povetkin and Pulev since is not bad going. I could chuck in Breazeale who was unbeaten at time but he was no good then, let alone when Wilder somehow swerved Whyte to face him a couple of years later.

I’m not saying Joshua is the greatest boxer, I’m saying his resume is decent, especially when you consider the fact he’s basically been learning on the job (check his number of fights amateur and pro compared to other top HWs) and he’s willing to fight the best. He could’ve ducked Usyk dropped the WBO belt and said he was waiting for Fury (and nobody would’ve batted an eyelid) but took on one of the best pound for pound fighters out there, possibly the best. I didn’t like his game plan but there was no shame in that defeat

That’s not the actions/ability of a fraud

Sick Boy

He’s not a fraud but he’s been majorly overhyped by the media - the idea of him even having a chance about Fury has always been a joke.

David O'Day

He’s not a fraud but he’s been majorly overhyped by the media - the idea of him even having a chance about Fury has always been a joke.

The old Fury would of boxed the arse off him, the new Fury that we saw against Wilder who goes for knock outs takes his head clean off.

Will be beat him?

Usyk is no joke.
Usyk will be a massive favourite in any rematch. Joshua might have a chance if he puts his bulk back on and imposes himself more effectively, but that's a tall order against someone as good as Usyk. Assuming Joshua loses any rematch and Wilder gets smashed I really hope we see Fury v Usyk as that could be something special.

Mucca Mad Boys

Usyk will be a massive favourite in any rematch. Joshua might have a chance if he puts his bulk back on and imposes himself more effectively, but that's a tall order against someone as good as Usyk. Assuming Joshua loses any rematch and Wilder gets smashed I really hope we see Fury v Usyk as that could be something special.

Usyk is very technical boxer who has as much pedigree as anyone competing today. However, he was cut up worse than Joshua despite having our boxed him.

Joshua has become too conservative (since around the Parker fight) and is seemingly more content to outbox someone and win via decision than to KO someone. Against Usyk, he needed to land more adventurous combos than the ‘1-2’ he tried to throw all fight, even when it was obvious he was losing badly on the scorecard. If he tags Usyk with some hooks or uppercuts, he has a good chance of winning. He should be too too big and powerful than Usyk.

I will admit that I am a casual and someone who wants to see KOs so my opinion is limited.

Usyk is very technical boxer who has as much pedigree as anyone competing today. However, he was cut up worse than Joshua despite having our boxed him.

Joshua has become too conservative (since around the Parker fight) and is seemingly more content to outbox someone and win via decision than to KO someone. Against Usyk, he needed to land more adventurous combos than the ‘1-2’ he tried to throw all fight, even when it was obvious he was losing badly on the scorecard. If he tags Usyk with some hooks or uppercuts, he has a good chance of winning. He should be too too big and powerful than Usyk.

I will admit that I am a casual and someone who wants to see KOs so my opinion is limited.
I think that since the Ruiz fight he has become too reluctant to let his hands go, he was too concerned about getting countered to really try and boss Usyk around and use his extra weight to full advantage. It seems like he just didn't listen to all the advice he got from people that had already fought Usyk and it will be interesting to see what changes in the rematch.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think that since the Ruiz fight he has become too reluctant to let his hands go, he was too concerned about getting countered to really try and boss Usyk around and use his extra weight to full advantage. It seems like he just didn't listen to all the advice he got from people that had already fought Usyk and it will be interesting to see what changes in the rematch.

Agreed.

Joshua was roundly bested by Usyk. But, there was a few shots that did hurt OU and his face suggested as much. If AJ loosens his inhibitions a bit and throws dangerous combos, his chances improve.

Evo1883

Agreed.

Joshua was roundly bested by Usyk. But, there was a few shots that did hurt OU and his face suggested as much. If AJ loosens his inhibitions a bit and throws dangerous combos, his chances improve.

He will always have the worry of gassing if he goes for it , would have to win in 4 or he will be knocked out himself

Greggs

Anybody else notice the bell went early in the last round when AJ was on the ropes not guarding?
The clock on the screen might have been a bit out of sync with the clock ringside? But I prefer the thought that Eddie bribed someone so his cart horse didn't get stopped again.

Frostie

The clock on the screen might have been a bit out of sync with the clock ringside? But I prefer the thought that Eddie bribed someone so his cart horse didn't get stopped again.

Look at my video above, someone in AJ's corner was waving the towel.

Frostie

That's Eddie with his top off.
Towel has to get thrown in

I think waving it is an acceptable form of indicating you want the fight stopped but ref doesn't need to accept it (as he doesn't even if it comes in). Don't think it's the reason for the clock discrepancy anyway, he obviously doesn't see it & bell shouldn't go early but is interesting all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread