Agents Fees (3 Viewers)

oucho

crazy,

Wasn't that long ago...…

Premiership wage bill 1999: £397m
Even that figure is eye-wateringly high. I dread to think what it is today.

Sanchez being on £370k a week makes my skin crawl. It wiuld take me years to earn that, and I do my job better than he does. People would cite ''market economics" as justification for this but United will struggle to offload him now, he's on a long term contract and has been dire for 2 years....who'd take him off theor hands?

Brighton Sky Blue

Even that figure is eye-wateringly high. I dread to think what it is today.

Sanchez being on £370k a week makes my skin crawl. It wiuld take me years to earn that, and I do my job better than he does. People would cite ''market economics" as justification for this but United will struggle to offload him now, he's on a long term contract and has been dire for 2 years....who'd take him off theor hands?

As long as obscene TV deals are dished out clubs will keep handing out contracts like money's on tap. There's a few PL clubs who could make a profit without anyone going to the games, such is their TV income. Which is how titch pieces of shit like Bournemouth and Burnley can turnover £100m+ with crowds little better than ours

Irish Sky Blue

As long as obscene TV deals are dished out clubs will keep handing out contracts like money's on tap. There's a few PL clubs who could make a profit without anyone going to the games, such is their TV income. Which is how titch pieces of shit like Bournemouth and Burnley can turnover £100m+ with crowds little better than ours
Very harsh, particularly on Burnley who are a great club with a long top flight tradition including title wins as recent as the 1960s. They have an average gate of 20k in a town with a population of 70k. There is an argument that can be made that they are the best supported club in England based on attendance to population ratio.

Magwitch

Very harsh, particularly on Burnley who are a great club with a long top flight tradition including title wins as recent as the 1960s. They have an average gate of 20k in a town with a population of 70k. There is an argument that can be made that they are the best supported club in England based on attendance to population ratio.
True about Burnley, my dads team as a lad. For years their capacity at Turf Moor was higher at just over 60000 than the towns population and used to finish top four year after after.

Brighton Sky Blue

Harsh but true. Propped up by obscene TV revenue like quite a few others in that league. Let’s be honest and say that below the top 6 it’s a pile of average teams who got lucky with a tycoon or a manager who put players in the right slot.

I know that people want to pretend that the likes of Dyche are master tacticians when really they are just applying common sense.

ccfcway

Harsh but true. Propped up by obscene TV revenue like quite a few others in that league. Let’s be honest and say that below the top 6 it’s a pile of average teams who got lucky with a tycoon or a manager who put players in the right slot..

below the top 6 ?. Chelsea and Man City are the two who "got lucky" the most

Grendel

We were the 8th biggest spenders on agents in league 1 - there’s no direct correlation to player budget but I’d say it’s a pretty good indicator

better days

We were the 8th biggest spenders on agents in league 1 - there’s no direct correlation to player budget but I’d say it’s a pretty good indicator
Most analysts say there is almost a direct correlation between league position and wage bills across all divisions
You get the occasional outlier like Leicester and Accrington where a group of outstanding players come together under an efficient manager and buck the trend (with Leicester it was Pearson who started things off prior to getting the boot for non football reasons)
But even then those clubs generally aren't able to hold onto their best players because other clubs will pay them more than they can afford
An honourable exception was Jamie Vardy of course

oucho

As long as obscene TV deals are dished out clubs will keep handing out contracts like money's on tap.

This is where I do hae some sympathy for football - the TV companies offer such sums because they know people around the world will buy enough subscriptions to justify it; TV companies can't afford to let their rivals snaffle all the rights as TV companies with no rights = no subscribers = out of business, so they bid up as can't afford to not get some. With enough global demand for the Premier League, it makes sense. Equally, once they have the money in their pockets, the clubs have to outbid each other for the limited talent. So as long as fans are interested in watching TV, their money will find its way to the players' pockets.

I was at a conference recently and met delegates from Sweden, Kazakhstan, America and the Czech Republic - all football fans but they had no interest in their own national leagues, they all had PL teams they followed and each of them actually spent Saturdays watching games on TV at home as part of their lifestyle. I didn't understand quite how big a deal our PL is abroad; it's huge.

Brighton Sky Blue

This is where I do hae some sympathy for football - the TV companies offer such sums because they know people around the world will buy enough subscriptions to justify it; TV companies can't afford to let their rivals snaffle all the rights as TV companies with no rights = no subscribers = out of business, so they bid up as can't afford to not get some. With enough global demand for the Premier League, it makes sense. Equally, once they have the money in their pockets, the clubs have to outbid each other for the limited talent. So as long as fans are interested in watching TV, their money will find its way to the players' pockets.

I was at a conference recently and met delegates from Sweden, Kazakhstan, America and the Czech Republic - all football fans but they had no interest in their own national leagues, they all had PL teams they followed and each of them actually spent Saturdays watching games on TV at home as part of their lifestyle. I didn't understand quite how big a deal our PL is abroad; it's huge.

Yup plastic foreigners are worth big money. I saw La Liga’s president say they wanted to be the second biggest league in every country after the native league. Scudamore would never allow that.

oucho

Didn't realise that Fulham had spent £100m, 5th most in the league. Still getting relegated. Wow.

Huddersfield fans have been moaning about their club not even tringt to compete. You can't aim that at Fulham, but their utter incompetence with a budget like that is pretty startling.

Yup plastic foreigners are worth big money. I saw La Liga’s president say they wanted to be the second biggest league in every country after the native league. Scudamore would never allow that.

The game is becoming part of "the entertainment industry" , more and more it reminds me of WWF/WCW in terms of how it's promoted/marketed etc.

fernandopartridge

Huddersfield fans have been moaning about their club not even tringt to compete. You can't aim that at Fulham, but their utter incompetence with a budget like that is pretty startling.

The game is becoming part of "the entertainment industry" , more and more it reminds me of WWF/WCW in terms of how it's promoted/marketed etc.
The game was packaged up like that from 1992

Brighton Sky Blue

Huddersfield have used the money to set themselves up in the long run at least. As for the latter part, it has been like that for ages but recently it seems to have accelerated. I’m now supposed to get excited by Watford v Burnley

oucho

The game was packaged up like that from 1992

Correct, but as BSB says it has increased massively in the last few years. When we went down in 2001 the PL was still fairly similar to how it had been in the last years of the football league. It's unrecognisable now, more like NFL or something.

Grendel

Correct, but as BSB says it has increased massively in the last few years. When we went down in 2001 the PL was still fairly similar to how it had been in the last years of the football league. It's unrecognisable now, more like NFL or something.

Lee Hughes was being paid £18,000 a week in the championship by us. I know one very average defender in the premier league in the mid 90’s was on £28,000 a week basic salary.

Brighton Sky Blue

Lee Hughes was being paid £18,000 a week in the championship by us. I know one very average defender in the premier league in the mid 90’s was on £28,000 a week basic salary.

Wonder when we will next offer a contract of that size

oucho

I reckon that the equivalent of Hughes today would be on ten times that!

Grendel

I reckon that the equivalent of Hughes today would be on ten times that!

In the championship? £9 million a year?

oucho

In the championship? £9 million a year?
Sorry I meant as a 15-20 goals a season Prem striker, not Championship, so perhaps that's not quite a "Hughes equivalent".

clint van damme

I know that I and others sometimes look back at the 70s and 80s through rose tinted glasses and there was a lot wrong back then, (especially the hooligan problem), but surely the game has swung to far away from its roots now at the top level?

oucho

Same thing happened again today. New lady has just joined us from Canada. Was having a chat with her and she says she loves football..."I'm a Spurs fan". In fairness she did go to the Palace game during her first week of living in London, but otherwise she's grown up as an armchair fan in Alberta.

Users who are viewing this thread