after being a Coventry fan my whole life (1 Viewer)

Hankey111

I've realised it's a waste of time, I cant believe I'm saying this but I've just moved to London and I've decided what's the point anymore! Some of my friends support Chelsea (and I have always had a soft spot) so I'm just going to follow them from now on!

Otis

Can see your point.

City play in blue, Chelsea play in blue.
Coventry begins with the letter 'C', Chelsea begins with the letter 'C'.

Bye.

Gray

I'm sorry but that's not what football's about. 90%of clubs wouldn't have any fans if that was everyone's attitude

Otis

Ahh, but that is the X Factor generation we live in unfortunately. A world where people can change allegiance like changing wallpaper. :facepalm:

I was born in Coventry so I support Coventry. If if moved to Liverpool I wouldn't start supporting Liverpool. Your team is your team!!

ashbyjan

Who to support - red or black ....oh its so hard ... no skill or knowledge....who to chose ..... oh red then man united, just like every other modern generation sheep. Born in Cov, support Cov - not a fashion choice but a lifelong commitment.

skyblueinBaku

If I had the same attitude as Hankey, then I suppose I should start supporting Bournemouth - but it doesn't work like that. For better or worse, I'm stuck with the Sky Blues and glad of it.

Otis

Think maybe we should just close down all the clubs struggling in leagues 1 and 2. Ohh, and the Conference ... ohh and the Blue Square leagues .... ohh and .......

I used to know a kid who was a Bedworth United supporter. Followed them home and away every game for year upon year.

THIS is what being a football supporter is all about!

bamalamafizzfazz

On yer bike then son!

With only 29 posts you won't be missed on SBT. The only place you will be missed is at the Ricoh. At a time when the club have been trying to bring in new fans and bring back people who have not been in a while you decide to change allegiance.

It doesn't matter where you live you should support your team with pride, we do have a London supporters group too who probably attend more games than most on here.

I hate it when my mates who support Liverpool and United say to me that they have a 'soft spot' for City and feel sorry for them. I tell them that if they hadn't been dirty glory hunting bastards and supported their local team we probably wouldn't be in the same situation the club finds itself in now.

My final parting comment is, if you are not prepared to support your team then do one. You are no longer welcome by me and I really hope Chelsea don't win anything this season.

Otis

No, it's fine. Let him go. He'll be gone for good and we'll never see him ever again.

Until we get to a play-off final of course and then he wants tickets for being a life-long, die-hard supporter.

pusbccfc

Have a good time spending 60quid on tickets...

Covstu

What an idiot, I have a soft spot for Barca but doesnt mean i am going to support them. There is no harm in watching them if you move down there but your team is for life and not for a season so regardsless of how we are performing you should back them for life mate! Take care i hope Chelsea fulfil your footballing ambitions...

Robccfc87

"City til i die, i'm city til i die, well at least until i get bored and fancy supporting a top 4 club"
Agree with every comment, our lot have had a rougher time than most recently but despite what goes on no matter how bad one thing is constant: we are Coventry City and always will be.

Jason Stubbs

This is obviously a wind up or this guy never attends the games and is just an arm chair supporter. I regularly have this argument with some of my mates who are Coventry born Man Utd fans. I ask why they support a team from a city they have no links to. One friend was honest and said because they are the best! So I asked why does he support England then and not Spain? Apparently it's because he was born in England!!!!!! I can't get my hat off!

PhilWasn'tBabb

I lived in Huddersfield for a long time and went to watch them play a lot, But their always going to be my second love behind city...

bishbosh

Too right City till I shuffle off this mortal coil.

How can someone switch so easily?

Is it OK to watch Wellington Phoenix every now and then though? :)

dazzled2u

It's society in general now, not just football.

People have much less loyalty or stamina for sticking with something they initially believed in or supported. When times get tough people jump ship its the culture in the Uk today I'm afraid!!! It's much easier to take the option of following a team that is winning more often than not, which offers short term glory and benefits.

Astute

Hankey?? Bit like Hackney....Hackers in disguise?

I have not lived in Cov for over 20 years. Most places I have lived I have never met another Cov fan. Bump into the occasional one where I live when they are on holiday and either see me in a Cov top or see my car. Would never be able to support another team. Have tried watching a couple of local teams where I have lived before but could never get the feeling you do with your own team. Might as well just go and stand on the parks on a sunday morning.

A game for me is about 230 miles to get to Cov. I also prefer away games as the atmosphere is much better and is normally a good day out. So I have to leave my house at about 4am. Drive to Cov, get breakfast then get on supporters coach to go to game. There are some games where I pass where we are playing on the way to Cov so I can get on a coach with the lads. The coach trip and pub crawl is all part of the day out. Then back to Cov after game, night on the p1ss then to hotel. Visit family and friends before journey home. An away game takes two days for me. Costs a small fortune each game but is worth it.

Wouldn't swap a thing to be a glory supporter of any club I do not have feelings for. A draw for my own team would feel much better than a big win for a team I do not have feelings for.

1ccfc

You can’t just change teams like that surely? At least most of the plastic fans that follow United etc. made their decisions early on as glory supports.

Anyway I would rather support Cov in league 2 with genuine fans that care about our club than be in the premier league with the ‘prawn sandwich brigade’.

Although times are not great now it is only because we have real emotion and attachment for our club that we get so down. WHEN things do turn around it will be the true fans that get the most pleasure from it.

Kuklinski

This is obviously a wind up or this guy never attends the games and is just an arm chair supporter. I regularly have this argument with some of my mates who are Coventry born Man Utd fans. I ask why they support a team from a city they have no links to. One friend was honest and said because they are the best! So I asked why does he support England then and not Spain? Apparently it's because he was born in England!!!!!! I can't get my hat off!

This is exactly what I say. Why don't you support France, Brazil, Spain (depending on who is the best at the time), I've had some refuse to answer and work themselves up trying to think of an answer that doesn't contradict their stance on Utd.

As for Wankey, see ya later Ace. You'll not be missed.

torchomatic

God, I'm so bored of people saying they've had it with the club, they're never coming again, blah blah blah. Why come onto a forum and tell everyone? Why not just stop? Then again, this isn't a new phenomena. I remember people standing next to me on the Kop saying that they weren't "coming again if Gary Gillespie is sold".

I guess it must pump their ego to have lots of people on a forum telling them not to give up, etc, etc.

operationprem

My dads just done the same thing moved to Brighton a few years back now he's got a season ticket down there says he's given up on city.....GOOD RIDDANCE TO YOU BOTH! PUSB

ccfctommy

Agreed, he's obviously a WUM.

Sub

don't get how you can just jump teams:thinking about:i am near to port vale and stoke been to watch both with friends but it just doesn't seem right i dont get excited if they score or shout for bad tackles like i do when i watch the skyblues i must be wierd :whistle::whistle::D:D

ICHAN

Sorry but if you were born in cov you should support cov simple as.
I also don't get for eg: my dad supports or was from leeds so I support them but I was born in cov whats that one about.
I had a friend who was irish but born in cov/england so he supported england no brainier for him(although thats a national issue differant subject but same principal, don't want to get into a nationality war with that one).
I may live in spalding now, also lived in brum for a while but sorry I am from coventry so support coventry no option no shame always wore a cov top with pride.
Its like me saying I don't agree with some of the posters on here with views (as some will know by rescent threads :p) but that does not mean I am not going to post on here anymore.
I think you are either an attention seeker or a complete cock sorry don't label people but come on get a grip.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My local team is Newport (that's Newport IoW! :D). Other than that, it's a ferry trip to watch either Southampton, Portsmouth, Brighton etc. Just not worth it if I don't support them! I was born in Cov and lived there most of my life hence my love for the club, but my family are all from Cork City in Eire, so my national team is Eire and always will be, even though I'm first generation English. My heart will always be with my roots. I remember my double joy watching the GREAT Robbie Keane playing for both City AND Eire!

Ernie Machin

He's taking the piss, I'd guess.

Anyone that can have a soft spot for a c**t factory like Chelsea needs to give their a head a wobble. Their average attendance in first season of the Premier League (when football began of course) in 1993? 18,000. Says it all really.

As for me, I've never lived in Coventry myself, but I'll support them till my dying day. They may continue to break my heart, but that's the way it is. PUSB.

Users who are viewing this thread