AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (1 Viewer)

James Smith

Great result tonight, was hoping to go but was reminded last night I was supposed to be at a family dinner. :( Had sneaky glances at the phone throughout the evening until told to stop. PUSB

sisu go home

Our set pieces are probably an area we need to improve on. Especially corners.
Agreed - we seem to be much more capable of great deliveries during the match and in-game-play than when we have time to assess!
I think if we worked a couple of tweaks like that, and keep our manager/best players, we'll be in championship play-offs by 2016 - I genuinly do believe that. I think this squad and our manager are the answer when outsiders take the piss out of CCFC's situation.

Tonylinc

If we are able to keep this team together following the transfer window then I feel that anything is possible.

SkyblueBazza

However you look at tonight's game - we won...& came from a goal down despite being under pressure for about 2/3 of the game. REAL CHARACTER - the lads came of age tonight IMO.

However you look at tonight's game - we won...& came from a goal down despite being under pressure for about 2/3 of the game. REAL CHARACTER - the lads came of age tonight IMO.

We won but were lucky. All credit to the boys though it looks like lady luck is sky blue for a change. PUSB

covcity4life

FACup_Budweiser_onpitch.jpe

WE WILL NEVER LOSE AGAIN

Don't know whether this has been commented on earlier in the thread but piss poor management by Ardley allowing his players to turn up for the game so close to kick off.
I would have thought midday for an evening kick off would seem the norm in order to prepare the team appropriately.
Ardley commented after the game that his first choice keeper turned up at the final whistle!

kg82

Don't know whether this has been commented on earlier in the thread but piss poor management by Ardley allowing his players to turn up for the game so close to kick off.
I would have thought midday for an evening kick off would seem the norm in order to prepare the team appropriately.
Ardley commented after the game that his first choice keeper turned up at the final whistle!

They all went to get there 3-4 hours before kick off. There was a big crash. You can't account for that.

Stafford_SkBlue

According to Wimbledon fans;

At 6:30ish only 4 players had arrived. I feel that they should have been told to arrive mid afternoon for a bonding session.

It also appears a few of Wimbledon supporters were stuck on the A3 and missed the game.

Problem with London on a Friday night!!

valiant15

I woke up 10 minutes ago and thought how lucky were we to get through. I thought we played shite and we're lucky with those 2 goals.

you're an idiot

I woke up 10 minutes ago and thought how lucky were we to get through. I thought we played shite and we're lucky with those 2 goals.

wow, so philosophical yet so early in the day....

great result, avoided the giant killing and another learning curve for what is predominantly our graduates from the academy.

Wimbledon played well, get over it. Pressley didn't seem too concerned, honest in his assessment but very pleased were through to the next round.

fickle cov fans as usual...

covhead1

i agree, for most of the game we were poor but we did turn it on for the last 20 mins or so.
as for the goals, yes 2 had an element of luck.
BUT WE LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY :claping hands:

theferret

great result, avoided the giant killing and another learning curve for what is predominantly our graduates from the academy.

Wimbledon played well, get over it. Pressley didn't seem too concerned, honest in his assessment but very pleased were through to the next round.

Exactly. There will be L1 sides who will go out to pub teams today. Poor first half, but looked comfortable second half. Strolled the last 20 minutes. Shite? Nah.

jesus-wept

Did you expect Wimbledon just to turn up and roll over, some early good saves from Murphy, that's his job, got lucky with first goal, it happens but as the game moved on we got stronger and stronger and looked impressive. Eased off once the third went in, that's the sign of a decent side, well drilled. If we can keep Waggotts hands off it in January we should be okay.

theferret

Did you expect Wimbledon just to turn up and roll over, some early good saves from Murphy, that's his job, got lucky with first goal, it happens but as the game moved on we got stronger and stronger and looked impressive. Eased off once the third went in, that's the sign of a decent side, well drilled. If we can keep Waggotts hands off it in January we should be okay.

You were doing so well until the silly little dig at Waggott.

stupot07

I just spat my cup of tea out when I read that.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Brighton Sky Blue

I'll say this much-getting to watch the City in the pub (though the guy at the bar took some persuading to put it on!), was something I've missed quite a bit, especially as pretty much every game is impractical to get to from Scotland (eyeing up PNE in January but that's about it). It obviously isn't the same as being there but I still couldn't get enough of it :D

As for the game-the passing around our own third of the pitch was suicidal and better teams would have punished that more effectively than Wimbledon did (though they still got a goal out of it), and the conditions weren't really conducive to a passing game anyway. 3-1 was probably generous but winning despite not being at the races is the mark of a good team-so no complaints here.

WillieStanley

I'll say this much-getting to watch the City in the pub (though the guy at the bar took some persuading to put it on!), was something I've missed quite a bit, especially as pretty much every game is impractical to get to from Scotland (eyeing up PNE in January but that's about it). It obviously isn't the same as being there but I still couldn't get enough of it :D

As for the game-the passing around our own third of the pitch was suicidal and better teams would have punished that more effectively than Wimbledon did (though they still got a goal out of it), and the conditions weren't really conducive to a passing game anyway. 3-1 was probably generous but winning despite not being at the races is the mark of a good team-so no complaints here.

I'd say the passing in our own third was dangerous but not suicidal - even though it cost us a goal. I was more impressed with AFC than dissapointed with City. AFC stopped us from playing for much of the game with their tight marking etc, whilst not letting it affect their own attacking. We have come on so far in such a short amount of time. A lot of our danger players weren't getting a look in so that passing around in our half was neccessary to break them down. The difference between this team and the last team to excecute that style of play is that these boys know when and how to pull the trigger.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd say the passing in our own third was dangerous but not suicidal - even though it cost us a goal. I was more impressed with AFC than dissapointed with City. AFC stopped us from playing for much of the game with their tight marking etc, whilst not letting it affect their own attacking. We have come on so far in such a short amount of time. A lot of our danger players weren't getting a look in so that passing around in our half was neccessary to break them down. The difference between this team and the last team to excecute that style of play is that these boys know when and how to pull the trigger.

A better team would have got more goals from it-but as I also said, the pitch looked like it was holding up the ball quite a bit which is going to make passing teams struggle. The clinicality is very refreshing though-yes Wimbledon's keeper made a total howler for the equaliser but it only turned into a howler because Wilson was thinking aggressively enough to follow up an innocuous cross.

The general mentality was very positive and going a goal down sparked a response rather than resignation-which we are normally more used to.

Users who are viewing this thread