AFC Coventry (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Well it would give us a team to support in the city.

The JR wont get sorted for at least 18 months IMO. Another 2-3 years at least to get planning permission for a new ground, another few years to build it. You're looking at at least 7 years away.

The club will most likely be non league by then anyway.

As for the Ricoh, playing in Coventry is the important thing, the Ricoh would just be preferable but not essential.

But we already have teams that play in Coventry.

I'll say it again, AFC Coventry should be a non-starter until ccfc ceases to exist or moves permanently away from Coventry.

bigfatronssba

But we already have teams that play in Coventry.

I'll say it again, AFC Coventry should be a non-starter until ccfc ceases to exist or moves permanently away from Coventry.

AFC Coventry is a non starter for at least 9 months anyway. Its only about preparing for it.

bigfatronssba

If I didn't trust what he said, I wouldn't be believing a new stadium would be happening!

Exactly. They don't do what makes commercial sense. Therefore its difficult to predict their actions. That makes me believe worst case scenario should be planned for.

@richh87

We shouldn't put up with 5 years of playing in Northampton followed by forever in a stadium outside of Coventry.

Form a breakaway club to scare the shit out of SISU and force the issue. No fans, no income.

The council will bend over backwards to help, as will local businesses. If we drive SISU to sell the club then great, bring the club back and drop the breakaway - it isn't like we'd have to build a stadium for it.

If you want your club back in COVENTRY ever then it's time to do something, because SISU don't intend to bring it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@richh87

No fans, no income would indeed be the likely result of a breakaway club while the current one lives.

Well there's 8 or 9 thousand Coventry based supporters wondering what the f*ck to do on a Saturday afternoon - who are pissed at SISU so I don't agree.

MichaelCCFC

It has to be the Trust ideally. They need to stop making press releases saying they'd "like people to talk".

Their fence sitting stance is useless.

Rich and Magic - I posted this previously

The trust is by far the best group to do this but my understanding was always the trust would only do so if ccfc was liquidated. If the trust says it would set up a phoenix club for 2014/15 then they would definitely be the best people to do it. But as Broken Hearted says, there is a timetable so can't just wait till the end of the season and decide then. tbh, I am completely torn on this. I can't say I have any burning enthusiasm for the idea but as there does seem to be increasing interest it does seem worthwhile exploring it and I am getting more messages about it and some people actively pursuing it. So if you or anyone else is interested email me at [email protected]

But I'll also keep on repeating, a big dose of reality is needed. Unless Broken Hearted or someone else knows differently, I'm being told that if ccfc remained in existence then a new club would get no (or at best minimal) preference in terms of what tier it would play at. I also think the likely crowds would be way below what some people think. Imagine a cold, wet night at a non-league venue watching non-league football? How many people would really be up for that?

stupot07

Well there's 8 or 9 thousand Coventry based supporters wondering what the f*ck to do on a Saturday afternoon - who are pissed at SISU so I don't agree.

You think 8-9k will go and watch 9th tier football? People obviously do still care about ccfc hence why we're taking over 6k to MK tomorrow.

@richh87

Rich and Magic - I posted this previously

The trust is by far the best group to do this but my understanding was always the trust would only do so if ccfc was liquidated. If the trust says it would set up a phoenix club for 2014/15 then they would definitely be the best people to do it. But as Broken Hearted says, there is a timetable so can't just wait till the end of the season and decide then. tbh, I am completely torn on this. I can't say I have any burning enthusiasm for the idea but as there does seem to be increasing interest it does seem worthwhile exploring it and I am getting more messages about it and some people actively pursuing it. So if you or anyone else is interested email me at [email protected]

But I'll also keep on repeating, a big dose of reality is needed. Unless Broken Hearted or someone else knows differently, I'm being told that if ccfc remained in existence then a new club would get no (or at best minimal) preference in terms of what tier it would play at. I also think the likely crowds would be way below what some people think. Imagine a cold, wet night at a non-league venue watching non-league football? How many people would really be up for that?

Thanks Michael. More and more people seem to be up for it.

I certainly want to be involved.

NorthernWisdom

I certainly want to be involved.

The owners of Coventry United fancied setting up a football club.

They did so.

There's nothing stopping anybody setting up a football club if they want to do so.

If however you want to carry as many CCFC fans along as possible with you, it's best to do it at the time when you're most likely to carry with you as many as possible.

Spionkop

"It has crazy how some fans are so keen to drop CCFC and start something else."

Nick, you do this constantly. I do believe you wilfully misread what people say. Some of us are NOT keen to drop CCFC as you say. We're very KEEN to grab it back. It has been taken from us to another town. God, if I had a tenner for every time that's been pointed out....
SISU might legally (questionable) own CCFC, morally they don't. CCFC is us fans, any formation of a phoenix club, whatever you want to call it, will be a reclaiming back of OUR club. The history, everything, Clarrie Bourton, George Curtis, Willie Stanley, Singers, Jimmy Hill, 1987 etc. It may take time. But that would be the aim.
Others are right. Pressley and the team are working a little miracle, but they'll come and go. The big picture is the big thing.
Waiting and waiting and waiting is not going to achieve anything. Letting Sisu dictate is not going to achieve anything. They'll walk all over you.
The latest legal bullying thing over any anti Sisu talk is another example of how they operate. Ruthless.
Of course, monitor the current situation. BUT make contingency plans. Those plans may be shelved if not needed.
I'd imagine Bigfatronssba is so passionate about the team, his club, just like me. You don't do 50+ years and miss 5 home games without being passionate.
Having plans for a reclaimed CCFC (words you choose to ignore) is proactive and might focus a few minds. Sisu might think they've got all the aces. Let's make them think again.
There are NO talks. There is talk of a stadium. NOTHING has been revealed. Why not?
The reclaimed CCFC (how many times have I and others stressed that aspect - for you and others to ignore it) wouldn't kick off until August 2014. Plenty of time for SISU to show us the money. Tell us where the new ground is. OR better still have done a deal over the Ricoh. If you're still advocating we patiently wait then - well there's no hope for you.
Sixfields drags on. It isn't good enough to leave the fate of OUR club to a Hedge fund and their schemes.
Once again, IT IS RECLAIMING OUR CLUB.
With the will of enough fans, and I truly believe they are there, we can escape this madness. Doing nothing is not an option & saying 'What can us fans do?' What sort of attitude is that.

Spionkop

You are trying to get the club back in the city? What attempt is that then lately? Norman you make me laugh. What other clubs?
NOTHING is being done. Us fans have sat on our backsides since last summer. You, me, pretty well everyone. Waiting for SISU and ACL to sort. They haven't.
Michael CCFC, your comments are a total let down. Lacking in any desire to force a resolution. 'A dose of reality.' Where's your gumption? Fight? If that's the Trust and their outlook we need new leaders.

NorthernWisdom

What a lazy, pathetic comeback.

How about we *all* try and get the club back in the city, and focus on what's important, instead of what's best for our own egos?

And maybe if there was a bit less tiresome bollocks about some being traitors, selfish, self centred people, putting themselves before the club... it might encourage them to get involved.

Or, we can spend our time insulting fellow fans, and wondering why no bugger turns up to anything, no bugger tries to do anything.

Last edited:

@richh87

We all have to do something.

Despite our arguing on here and elsewhere, none of us want to carry on with being in Northampton or with this SISU horror show.

Come on people. Set up a club to shit SISU up. If we get our club back we can incorporate the new club.

We hold the aces, we all know it - so let's use them.

stupot07

Setting up an AFC Coventry in competition to CCFC (still temporary move with nothing confirmed) is not reclaiming the club, the club will still be in existence and the AFC will only have 5-10% following.

ccfctommy

Setting up an AFC Coventry in competition to CCFC (still temporary move with nothing confirmed) is not reclaiming the club, the club will still be in existence and the AFC will only have 5-10% following.

Nail on head.

I have no interest in an 'AFC Cov City'.

NorthernWisdom

Fine. You can continue watching a team supposedly representing Coventry, playing home games anywhere but Coventry.

So you don't want him, and many thousands of others to turn up to your club?

If I wanted to set up a club for the hell of it I wouldn't care.

If I wanted to set up a club to represent Coventry City FC, I'd want him there beside me.

Wouldn't you?

And if there was a possibility of that being more likely down the line, wouldn't you hold off?

TheSnoz

The same 'Do Nothings'. Just wave the white hankies won't you.
Stupot you obviously have a view, but you don't seem to read people's post fully. Some posters on here love their club and if you read a few of their posts you'll read that they are not suggesting anything like you say. I think the suggestion put forward is a tactic, nothing to do with competing with CCFC.

ccfctommy

AFC Coventry can only surely happen if we permanently move out of Cov or CCFC go bust.

Apart from those things happening I can't get behind it.

NorthernWisdom

I take it you're not going to Stadium MK tomorrow then.....

In his defence ;)

I attended last season, was a great day out as I'm sure the thousands who also went will testify. This year however, I won't be going. The events at our football club this past year have really brought home how the actions of unscrupulous owners can't be condoned by the wider football fan community. Now find it ironic mind, that last season AFC Wimbledon played there and they sold out their allocation!

rondog1973

We all have to do something.

Despite our arguing on here and elsewhere, none of us want to carry on with being in Northampton or with this SISU horror show.

Come on people. Set up a club to shit SISU up. If we get our club back we can incorporate the new club.

We hold the aces, we all know it - so let's use them.

Bang on. The fans are the club. Based on last seasons attendances (Which were the lowest since we moved to the Ricoh and possibly before that) 80-90% refuse to go to Northampton. If the 10-20% wish to attend home games beyond the city boundary, let 'em go. Set up a new club which truly represents the city of Coventry.

stupot07

The same 'Do Nothings'. Just wave the white hankies won't you.
Stupot you obviously have a view, but you don't seem to read people's post fully. Some posters on here love their club and if you read a few of their posts you'll read that they are not suggesting anything like you say. I think the suggestion put forward is a tactic, nothing to do with competing with CCFC.

Yes I read it. About shelving plans of need be but with the premise of kicking off in August 2014. With the JR, we will likely not have a definitive answer by then.

You say not competing, yet earlier in the thread someone suggests ccfc and afc Coventry playing alternative weeks at the Ricoh. So many conflicting ideas on here.

So what is it? If we (ccfc) are still in limbo come August 2014 do you envisage AFC Coventry kicking off the season or not?

Again, I'm not waving a white hanky, I am adopting NOPM and not attending home or away matches or purchasing merchandise.

Last edited:

rondog1973

So you don't want him, and many thousands of others to turn up to your club?

If I wanted to set up a club for the hell of it I wouldn't care.

If I wanted to set up a club to represent Coventry City FC, I'd want him there beside me.

Wouldn't you?

And if there was a possibility of that being more likely down the line, wouldn't you hold off?
Many thousands? Do you not think it safe to assume that the actual 'many thousands' would empathise with a club based in Coventry, born of necessity due to the previous representatives hijacking and slow murder at the hands of an unscrupulous venture capitalist enterprise that couldn't give a toss about any of the 80-90% or indeed the remaining 10-20%?

@richh87

Yes I read it. About shelving plans of need be but with the premise of kicking off in August 2014. With the JR, we will likely not have a definitive answer by then.

You say not competing, yet earlier in the thread someone suggests ccfc and afc Coventry playing alternative weeks at the Ricoh. So many conflicting ideas on here.

So what is it? If we (ccfc) are still in limbo come August 2014 do you envisage AFC Coventry kicking off the season or not?

Again, I'm not waving a white hanky, I am adopting NOPM and not attending home or away matches or purchasing merchandise.

Just ideas at the moment, but I really think that this is win/win.

a) we set it up, SISU buckle and sell CCFC and the club comes home (we incorporate/fold the new club when the season is out)

B) we set it up, SISU continue with the madness and we have a Coventry club to support that is all our own.

A few things I propose:

- the club should be fan owned. Wouldn't take much money from those interested.

- the club be called Coventry FC. No need for anything else on the end IMO.

- we play in all black to signify the death of CCFC / or we could just play in Sky Blue if people wish.

@richh87

I think it's far too simplistic to split into those who go to Sixfields blindly follow CCFC regardless, v those who don't go to Sixfields blindly follow a rival club regardless.

As you say it's not as black and white as that. Wouldn't be a rival club, simply one to take back control (have just posted above with some thoughts)

Grendel

Just ideas at the moment, but I really think that this is win/win.

a) we set it up, SISU buckle and sell CCFC and the club comes home (we incorporate/fold the new club when the season is out)

B) we set it up, SISU continue with the madness and we have a Coventry club to support that is all our own.

A few things I propose:

- the club should be fan owned. Wouldn't take much money from those interested.

- the club be called Coventry FC. No need for anything else on the end IMO.

- we play in all black to signify the death of CCFC / or we could just play in Sky Blue if people wish.

How would SISU "buckle" - 150 watching in the Midland Combination on a park pitch - yeah right.

rondog1973

I think it's far too simplistic to split into those who go to Sixfields blindly follow CCFC regardless, v those who don't go to Sixfields blindly follow a rival club regardless.
Correct, but when presented with the option of Coventry City FC being based outside of Coventry, or a phoenix club, based in the city, playing in Sky Blue, nicknamed the Sky Blues, with a club crest incorporating the city coat of arms (with a football alluding twist) and a name containing the words 'Coventry' and 'City' set up by the fans, for the fans, who would you plump for?

All highly hypothetical of course, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread