Advise needed (2 Viewers)

Otis

I went boxing training for a few months, it was great for the mind as well.
Is that where your calls for on the pitch thuggery were first nutured and formed?

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

I know a City fan who is a top counsellor. One of the nicest people I've met in my life. If you want to pm me, I can try and put him in touch with you. Good luck with what you are going through and condolences.

Astute

Someone said earlier to try and do 1 thing a day, even if it's just forcing myself to get out of bed. I done that today, lay there and remembered that and got my ass up. Now doing my work and getting things done. Thanks again all off you.
Nice one. Keep it up.

What I found beneficial was having a puppy. He needed walking frequently. So I had to go out. People would come up to talk to me because of the puppy. Natural response in the end was to talk. Forget about your problems if only for 10 minutes. Your problems don't go away. But over time you think about them less. Eventually you spend less time thinking and a little bit of normality comes back.

It is a long process. But you will get there in the end.

Otis

Nice one. Keep it up.

What I found beneficial was having a puppy. He needed walking frequently. So I had to go out. People would come up to talk to me because of the puppy. Natural response in the end was to talk. Forget about your problems if only for 10 minutes. Your problems don't go away. But over time you think about them less. Eventually you spend less time thinking and a little bit of normality comes back.

It is a long process. But you will get there in the end.
Pets are great and do make you feel better for sure.

I got cats so I didn't have to feel quite so alone. That was always the worst bit for me, coming back to an empty house every evening.

Lovely when you are greeted at the door by a cat or dog, or even a parrot. :)

covcity4life

As some of you know, my Mrs passed away last month (she was only 45). I was doing ok ish but i seem to be getting more depressed now that it is sinking in. I was thinking of going on to antidepressants but i know they have loads of side effects and become addictive. I know you will all say time helps, but at the moment time is making it worse. Living out here away from the family makes it harder as you can't just go and see them or stay with them, you have to keep working to pay the bills when you don't really want to get up. My question is this, have some of you been on antidepressants and if you have how much did they help, also how easy were they to come off after? Any other advise you can give me? I know this is not a help line but you all said to ask if i need help and i think we are mostly a community with anonymity, so i can say things i don't feel saying to those who know me.
before turning to anti depressents(and they may work)

please give mindful meditation a go. i know it works and i hope it does for you too

25 mins a day for 2 weeks and i think you will feel calmer less anxious and more positive

thoughts and prayers with you

shmmeee

Hi mate!

I’ve battled with clinical depression since I was about 12, comes in ten year cycles and gets triggered by events too. Thought I’d pass on what I’ve learned:

1) Do what works. It’s different for everyone. I’ve tried drugs to not much effect, I’ve tried guided meditation, all sorts. I’m a very rational guy and what worked for me was Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, but even then it took two or three tries at finding a therapist I got on with and who knew how to deal with me.

2) Diet and exercise are key. Eat well, lots of veg and healthy food, gets lots of exercise. Even just a long walk really helps. When you find yourself in a pit, change your posture. Stand up, walk around, do the superman pose. Body and mind are very closely linked. Also watch your caffeine intake (this is the one I find the hardest). Sugar highs and lows especially don’t help, eat slow release foods.

3) Talk. Talk to someone, anyone. Sometimes it’s on here, sometimes it’s on the internet, sometimes families, sometimes friends. Doesn’t even have to be about what’s bothering you, just a human connection helps give you some perspective. Also verbalising how you feel sometimes makes you realise how silly what you’re thinking really is.

4) Be kind to yourself. It’s hard, it’s a process, you will have good and bad days and that’s Ok. A stumble or a fall isn’t permanent, pick yourself up, don’t beat yourself up. If you need a day in your pants crying take it and be comfortable with that choice. Then start the road again tomorrow.

5) Keep going. There’s enough drugs and therapies and activities out there to try a new one each week for the rest of your life. Keep going, find what works. It’s an experiment.

Good luck buddy and if you ever need to chat I’m on the end of an PM.

Last edited:

Otis

Hi mate!

I’ve battled with clinical depression since I was about 12, comes in ten year cycles and gets triggered by events too. Thought I’d pass on what I’ve learned:

1) Do what works. It’s different for everyone. I’ve tried drugs to not much effect, I’ve tried guided meditation, all sorts. I’m a very rational guy and what worked for me was Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, but even then it took two or three tries at finding a therapist I got on with and who knew how to deal with me.

2) Diet and exercise are key. Eat well, lots of veg and healthy food, gets lots of exercise. Even just a long walk really helps. When you find yourself in a pit, change your posture. Stand up, walk around, do the superman pose. Body and mind are very closely linked. Also watch your caffeine intake (this is the one I find the hardest). Sugar highs and lows especially don’t help, eat slow release foods.

3) Talk. Talk to someone, anyone. Sometimes it’s on here, sometimes it’s on the internet, sometimes families, sometimes friends. Doesn’t even have to be about what’s bothering you, just a human connection helps give you some perspective. Also verbalising how you feel sometimes makes you realise how silly what you’re thinking really is.

4) Be kind to yourself. It’s hard, it’s a process, you will have good and bad days and that’s Ok. A stumble or a fall isn’t permanent, pick yourself up, don’t beat yourself up. If you need a day in your pants crying take it and be comfortable with that choice. Then start the road again tomorrow.

5) Keep going. There’s enough drugs and therapies and activities out there to try a new one each week for the rest of your life. Keep going, find what works. It’s an experiment.

Good luck buddy and if you ever need to chat I’m on the end of an PM.
Lovely post, Shmmeee. :)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. A good friend of mine lost his wife recently about the same age.
Anyway, back in the late '90's I went through a period of depression. I didn't even know why I was always feeling down. Anyways, I went to my GP who prescribed Amitriptyline, a wonder drug at the time. He only gave me a weeks worth, but by the third day, I wondered why I had been so depressed. They were amazing. Anyway, he also put me in touch with a smashing psychologist, an Asian lady, at Gulson Road hospital. I saw her every week for about a year. During that time, she worked out what had caused my depression. It had been the way I was brought up and I had kept my hurt and anger bottled up for decades. (I was now 39 or 40). She convinced me to write down my feelings in notebook form, which I did at first, and it ended up being my autobiography, which I thoroughly enjoyed writing and getting published, although a lot of hurt came flooding back. Incidentally, I now take two Amitriptyline every single day! No, I ain't hooked! It is now used as a wonder pain killing drug (or supposed to be!).
So to conclude my theory... see your GP. DON'T be worried about what they might say. They see this all the time. Accept any treatment they give you. And above all, stay close to those around you. Good friends are hard to find and when you find them, use their friendship as much as they'll allow.

pipkin73

Thanks again everyone, I've had a better couple of days and the main thing I found that has helped was the advice to make sure I do one thing a day. Getting up to walk the dog or do some work has helped so much as 1 thing has led to another and by the end of the day I've stayed busy. Just met someone who asked how Julie was, I would have broken down before but managed to explain what had happened and stay strong. Thanks again everyone, the support from you all has been amazing.

lifeskyblue

I’m glad you have had a better day or two and were strong enough to cope with that question. Don’t beat yourself up if you have a bad day...it may feel like two step forwards one back for a while. Getting out with your dog is a good idea in that you will get exercise and interaction with other walkers.
Hopefully you and other ex pats can have a beer and watch the footy in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipkin73

I’m glad you have had a better day or two and were strong enough to cope with that question. Don’t beat yourself up if you have a bad day...it may feel like two step forwards one back for a while. Getting out with your dog is a good idea in that you will get exercise and interaction with other walkers.
Hopefully you and other ex pats can have a beer and watch the footy in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got to the pub to watch the game, lost my dog as a mate has taken her for another walk, poor thing will be knackered lol. Let's hope England keep me smiling.

pipkin73

No short supplies out here mate, loads of cheap beer :) left my mobile in the bar tonight and never realised til I got home. Most of my pics of Julie etc so was devastated but when I went back they had gave it to my neighbour for me. Life can be hard abroad but we look after each other better.

Astute

It was actuality tourists who told the bar I'd left it behind. Would not take a drink as thanks, gives you hope that people can and are good in general.
That is the thing about life. Most people are genuine and good. But it is the idiots we notice the most.

Now to work out why most people notice me :woot:

Nick

Administrator
No short supplies out here mate, loads of cheap beer :) left my mobile in the bar tonight and never realised til I got home. Most of my pics of Julie etc so was devastated but when I went back they had gave it to my neighbour for me. Life can be hard abroad but we look after each other better.
Make sure you back it all up but in case.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I agree with Nick. Back all your pics up on the cloud.

Nick

Administrator
I agree with Nick. Back all your pics up on the cloud.

My wife had her phone stolen, had loads of family pictures etc and they were all lost and that's all she was bothered about. Can't imagine how it would be in Pipkins circumstance, get them all on the cloud to be sure just in case. Even if the phone breaks one day, you don't want to lose them!

pipkin73

My wife had her phone stolen, had loads of family pictures etc and they were all lost and that's all she was bothered about. Can't imagine how it would be in Pipkins circumstance, get them all on the cloud to be sure just in case. Even if the phone breaks one day, you don't want to lose them!
Done that today, thanks Nick

Users who are viewing this thread