Advice Please: Summer Jobs for Student? (1 Viewer)

duffer

So then, 16-year-old daughter is just about to finish her GCSEs, and is looking for a job full-time/part-time/flexible, over the summer.

I'm struggling a bit to help her - I must confess I thought it would be pretty easy.

This place is always a good source of information, some of of it is even useful. :)

So, any ideas?

All advice gratefully received - it'll do her good to see what working is actually like!

Ian1779

Waitress job in a cafe/chain restaurant - pay might not be the greatest but she’ll make it again in tips and you won’t need to feed her all summer 😉

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

So then, 16-year-old daughter is just about to finish her GCSEs, and is looking for a job full-time/part-time/flexible, over the summer.

I'm struggling a bit to help her - I must confess I thought it would be pretty easy.

This place is always a good source of information, some of of it is even useful. :)

So, any ideas?

All advice gratefully received - it'll do her good to see what working is actually like!
Mcdonald’s would be my best bet

duffer

Any coffee shop / waitress type jobs?

Exactly what I was thinking mate, but she's been in touch with a good few and none of them have got back to her.

I genuinely thought it'd be a doddle if she wasn't too fussy...

Rusty Trombone

My daughter applied for many many jobs in coffee shops, supermarkets and couldn't get an interview anywhere, ended up cleaning at UHCW through ISS, they pay a decent wage for under 18's as well, as many other places only pay £4.81 an hour. Lots of different jobs and different hours, they were recruiting for all areas a few weeks ago so might be worth a call if she can get to UHCW easily enough. My daughter was just doing 6 hours a week over a weekend.

duffer

My daughter applied for many many jobs in coffee shops, supermarkets and couldn't get an interview anywhere, ended up cleaning at UHCW through ISS, they pay a decent wage for under 18's as well, as many other places only pay £4.81 an hour. Lots of different jobs and different hours, they were recruiting for all areas a few weeks ago so might be worth a call if she can get to UHCW easily enough. My daughter was just doing 6 hours a week over a weekend.

That's another good call, thank you. I will pass this over too (might even hang on to a few of these ideas for when I get the boot!).

covmark

So, any ideas?

My lad was in the same boat. Nipped into KFC and had a job there the following week. They're pretty flexible with his college hours, and in the holidays he makes a fortune.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

jimmyhillsfanclub

How about a good old fashioned bit of fruit picking....."never did me any harm"

PS: this is actually a serious suggestion.....earn as much as you're prepared to graft for, meet some interesting people, fresh air, vitamin d, earthy honest toil.....what's not to like?

robbiekeane

I've heard Mcdonalds are really good to work for for students, they pay towards some books and course stuff apparently. Not glamourous obviously but who cares.

Tried the supermarkets? They should be desperate for workers and it's good because you can transfer to other stores easily.

I'd also highly recommend getting into bar work but i guess you have to be 18 for that

robbiekeane

Looks like primark are hiring temp until september:

Lidl:

M&S in Binley:

WHSmith have a few:

1655437477024.png

Would just get on indeed.com and smash applications for everything she sees

SBAndy

Worthwhile trying the ‘blue chip’ types with stores all over the place. If your daughter were to go to university then there may be the option to move work to wherever she ended up as well. So yeah, McD’s, KFC, Tesco, etc. all worth trying.

duffer

I just popped back onto this thread to say thank you for all of the helpful advice.

Of course, kids being kids, everything I've suggested has been completely disregarded and she's found herself a job at the Uni over the summer.

Again though, I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond.

I don't care what anyone says, I think you guys are alright. 😁

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread