ACL seek £2.5million damages from NTFC (1 Viewer)

Sky Blues

Legal expert doubts the merit of “£2.5 million” High Court claim against Northampton Town

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...ourt-claim-against-northampton-town-1-5346357

A legal expert says the High Court claim lodged by Coventry City’s stadium owners against Northampton Town will be “very difficult” to prove - as it emerged the damages they are seeking are in the region of £2.5 million.

Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) announced on Tuesday that it was suing the Cobblers for damages over the deal for Coventry City to play their home games at Sixfields for at least the next three seasons.

ACL says it has a 25-year lease with Coventry City for them to play at the Ricoh, and the Cobblers are “inducing” the Sky Blues to play their home games at Sixfields.

But the deal with the Cobblers was cut by Otium - the preferred buyer for the Sky Blues - with the help of the club’s administrator Paul Appleton.

And James Ressel, senior lecturer in law at The University of Northampton, said an administrator has the power to adopt or cancel any contract, after weighing up the interest of the company and the creditors.

Mr Ressel said, after applying a balance of fairness test, the administrators can decide not to honour a contract, if this would help to achieve the purpose of the administration - which in this case, would be keeping Coventry City afloat.

He added: “The administrators can do pretty much what they want, subject to supervision of the court. ACL could apply to the court for specific performance of the contract, and if the court declines to grant the remedy they become unsecured creditors for any losses.

“It seems to be a political fight between the people in Coventry, who want the rent, and Northampton.

“The administrators can decide not to honour the lease contract, unless it has automatically be brought to an end as a consequence of the appointment of an administrator.

“They have the power to deal with contracts, and they don’t have to honour any contracts, providing this would help to achieve the purpose of the administration.

“To me, put very simply, all it seems they have to do is disclaim the contract. Trying to prove somebody induced you to break a contract is a very, very difficult type of claim to run.”

The Coventry Telegraph reports that a creditors’ meeting is due to be held today, Friday, which will result in Coventry City Football Club Limited being liquidated if ACL refuse to sign an agreement to exit administration.

The Chron understands the golden share - the right to play in the Football League - should pass to the preferred buyer Otium, meaning the Sky Blues would play at Sixfields as planned, but would start the new League One season on minus 15 points.

ACL has also complained to the Football League about its decision to allow Coventry to ground-share with Northampton.

A spokesman said: “It is clear that the Football League has breached its own regulations in making the deeply unpopular decision to allow the Sisu-related company Otium to make a ground-sharing arrangement with Northampton.

“There is no justification to take the Sky Blues out of Coventry, and the Football League clearly have not considered the matter fully - or else they would not have arrived at this decision.

“ACL remains committed to keeping the Sky Blues in Coventry and will pursue all avenues available to us to do so.”

jesus-wept

Is it about £2.5 million though, I doubt ACL if they win would get anywhere near that but if they won and got just a fiver the legal bill alone would bugger NTFC up.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Is it about £2.5 million though, I doubt ACL if they win would get anywhere near that but if they won and got just a fiver the legal bill alone would bugger NTFC up.

Why would ACL want to bugger up NTFC though.....Spite?

I think this legal action is petty in the extreme & makes ACL look no better than another bunch of suited greedy conniving litigation hungry twats that we already love to hate.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think ACL are using a SISU tactic. Tying up NTFC in legal process. A scare tactic to put pressure on NTFC, SISU & FL.

Everything I have read contradicts the bit about the power of an administrator to cancel contracts that the senior lecturer states. My understanding is that an administrator does not have specific power to dismiss a property lease (he may well have power to cancel contracts for supply etc). Only a liquidator that can dismiss a property lease. One of the administrators duries is to try rescue the business if possible, would be hard in most businesses to do that if the lease was just cancelled.

Last edited:

duffer

I don't doubt that the lecturer is right about it being a difficult claim to win, but not impossible. Maybe the risk/benefit analysis might make Cardoza reconsider.

It's also worth noting that administrator hasn't disclaimed the contract yet, so it's still in place with CCFC Ltd - and yet Otium have already agreed to break it on Ltd's behalf with NTFC.

I wonder if the reason Appleton hasn't disclaimed the contract is that he doesn't want it dragging in front of court on that "specific performance" issue, and was perhaps hoping that ACL would agree to the terms in the CVA thus negating the issue.

We'll see how it pans out soon, I guess.

duffer

Why would ACL want to bugger up NTFC though.....Spite?

I think this legal action is petty in the extreme & makes ACL look no better than another bunch of suited greedy conniving litigation hungry twats that we already love to hate.

I think ACL are fighting to keep CCFC in Coventry, and I'm right behind them in this action.

The greed here was from Cardoza, who clearly was more interested in making a few bob than anything else. I've got no axe to grind with NTFC fans, but trying to spin this as a rescue is bollocks, frankly. Cardoza doesn't get involved, and both sides are forced to talk.

jesus-wept

City fan feeling sorry for Northampton Town ? I've heard it all now. Don't care what they say NTFC are complicit in distressing supporters of a fellow member of the football league. Whether that is winnable in court we will have to see but no one has Cardoza's arm up his back and apparently he is a bit of a pal of Gary Hoffman. JUST SAY NO !

Bertola

Why was Appleton involved in the Northampton deal? If that deal was made by Otium, he surely shouldn't have been involved?

Conflict of interests?

deanocity3

City fan feeling sorry for Northampton Town ? I've heard it all now. Don't care what they say NTFC are complicit in distressing supporters of a fellow member of the football league. Whether that is winnable in court we will have to see but no one has Cardoza's arm up his back and apparently he is a bit of a pal of Gary Hoffman. JUST SAY NO !

wouldn't it be good if Cardoza was on our side all the time,and Hoffman said here's a plan, offer your ground to CCFC only to pull out at the last minute,giving them no option but to return to cov.and I'll cover any expense.

grego_gee

I think ACL are fighting to keep CCFC in Coventry, and I'm right behind them in this action.

The greed here was from Cardoza, who clearly was more interested in making a few bob than anything else. I've got no axe to grind with NTFC fans, but trying to spin this as a rescue is bollocks, frankly. Cardoza doesn't get involved, and both sides are forced to talk.

ACL are not fighting to keep CCFC in Coventry, they are fighting for their own existence and to keep CCFC on a rental agreement!
CCFC don't want to be on a rental agreement. They want to own their own stadium, be it the RICOH or a.n. other!

ACL are clutching at straws and the straws are not going to take their weight!

:pimp:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director

Last edited:

italiahorse

Any normal administrator reviewing what is best for CCFC would work out that the club would be worse off going to Northampton even with the current high rental.
Based on expected numbers attending.
If SISU have advised him that 5-7K will be attending and he uses those figures then it is slightly advantageous for Northampton.
IMHO he is biased to SISU (indirectly his employer) and attendance figures, the stadium etc have become facts to him.

jesus-wept

wouldn't it be good if Cardoza was on our side all the time,and Hoffman said here's a plan, offer your ground to CCFC only to pull out at the last minute,giving them no option but to return to cov.and I'll cover any expense.
As is often said "many a true word spoken in jest" I have read, i'm sure I have that Cardoza is only at NTFC for the short term....Makes you wonder !!

The Penguin

ACL are not fighting to keep CCFC in Coventry, they are fighting for their own existence and to keep CCFC on a rental agreement!

That may be, but right now, that course of action is the only action that will see the club remain in Coventry for the immediate future, and won't result in the near-total desertion of the football club as it winds its way towards its sad demise.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Don't get me wrong.....I'm no fan of Cardoza & I wish NTFC would have just told Fisher to fuck right off....

But Cardoza & NTFC became involved because the twats at Sisu & ACL refused to talk.....

This whole thing is a slow-motion car crash....to stretch the metaphor.....it has been caused by SISUs reckless driving....but ACL have got out....assessed the damage, got back into the car & reversed over NTFC's push bike.

jimmyhillsfanclub

...so you think an acceptable solution is for a joint venture company to distress the supporters of another club in return....

...as for Cardoza being Hoffmans mate...

..well, with friends like that....

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Les Reid@Lesreidpolitics42s
.. I'm told Peter Knatchbull-Hughesen voted FOR CVA for Higgs, ACL voted against, the club for CVA. #CCFC will be liquidated @covtelegraph

Just to be clear it was the Alan Higgs Center Trust that was owed the money not the Alan Edward Higgs Charity. Two seperate entities. PWKH as director/co sec of AHC Trust was there to represent their interests alone. It is quite likely the AHC Trust best interest was to recover some of their debt and to vote for the CVA. Do not assume their best interest is linked to ACL it is not

It should not be assumed there is a split between the Higgs Charity and the Council within ACL. I doubt there is

grego_gee

How can they seek damages, by rejecting the CVA and liquidating us the lease is no more.

Ask your local Councillor!

I can't see this doing them much good in the JR, they have just thrown away another half mil!

No wait a minute ACL said they wouldn't get any of it! so they are in the clear, even though they own half of ACL and bailed them out with a £14m mortgage.
and I wonder why the council own half of ACL and loaned them 14m if they don't have anything to do with it?

Who will benefit by waving goodbye to half a mil?

:pimp:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread