A vote of no confidence in the City of Coventry? (1 Viewer)

MichaelCCFC

I really am desperate to be proved wrong and the wasps deal, assuming it is agreed, turns out to be great for CCFC and Cov RFC. But every bone in my body tells me the deal is wrong on every level - bad for Coventry City, bad for Cov RFC and bad for the identity of Coventry and its citizens. 'Welcome to Coventry - home of franchise sport, a rugby team from West London and a couple of local team of historic interest only'. Doesn't feel like the outcome we spent 16 months fighting for.

Otis

I really am desperate to be proved wrong and the wasps deal, assuming it is agreed, turns out to be great for CCFC and Cov RFC. But every bone in my body tells me the deal is wrong on every level - bad for Coventry City, bad for Cov RFC and bad for the identity of Coventry and its citizens. 'Welcome to Coventry - home of franchise sport, a rugby team from West London and a couple of local team of historic interest only'. Doesn't feel like the outcome we spent 16 months fighting for.

Well, that's where we differ Michael, cos every bone in my body tells me that no way would Coventry City Council make a decision that was bad for Coventry City and bad Coventry Rugby Club and bad for the city and citizens of Coventry.

That would be incompetence on a previously unheard of level and reek of complete and utter stupidity. I don't believe for a second that they really are that stupid.

Why would local councillors vote for something that would hurt 2 sporting clubs and its own city's citizens? That would be a total madness. A total and utter madness.

I just don't get why some people think the council is going to totally screw everyone over, when it is their very job to protect all 3 of those entities.

They would have to be completely criminally negligent or incredibly stupid.

J

Jack Griffin

Well, that's where we differ Michael, cos every bone in my body tells me that no way would Coventry City Council make a decision that was bad for Coventry City and bad Coventry Rugby Club and bad for the city and citizens of Coventry.

That would be incompetence on a previously unheard of level and reek of complete and utter stupidity. I don't believe for a second that they really are that stupid.

Why would local councillors vote for something that would hurt 2 sporting clubs and its own city's citizens? That would be a total madness. A total and utter madness.

I just don't get why some people think the council is going to totally screw everyone over, when it is their very job to protect all 3 of those entities.

Ditto for me.. but there is some brinkmanship involved here... I'm just hoping it turns out OK, one thing for sure, if SISU build their stadium then they will have NOT LISTENED TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.. how clever is that!

Seaside-Skyblue

Hope you're right Otis. I don't even live in Coventry but my support of the club makes me feel the same anguish of a Coventry citizen as I support the city of Coventry, not just a club (which is where we differ from the plastic glory supporters)

NorthernWisdom

Depends what you call 'good'.

The simple vote winner (and thus politically expedient) use of capital is to say 'do you want this school closed down, or this leisure facility saved?' despite the fact the leisure facilities use up a fraction of the budget.

Now of course if you phrase the question in that way, you can guess which direction people vote. It's a good vote winner to claim you saved a school by cutting other budgets, even if it isn't necessarily as accurate as it may seem on the surface.

Life is always about the presentation of it, and there are many ways to look through the prism.

Last edited:

Otis

Hope you're right Otis. I don't even live in Coventry but my support of the club makes me feel the same anguish of a Coventry citizen as I support the city of Coventry, not just a club (which is where we differ from the plastic glory supporters)

I am keeping myself positive. It's the council's duty to act in the interest of this city and its citizens. As long as they abide by that creed it will not be as bad as some are making out for sure.

My guess would be that CCFC get some assurance that they will be entitled to stay and play at the Ricoh for the next 50-99 years.

I also think there will be some assurance for Cov rugby too in terms of investment in grassroots or suchlike, though I do think they will fare worse than the Sky Blues.

I bought my house 4 years ago, but in the deeds, dating back some 70 years, was a requirement for ourselves and our neighbours to accept liability for the drainage system at the backs of our houses.

Caveats and covenants can be put in place that are binding in these agreements and I bleieve that if there is a yes vote, CCFC would have such a covenant in place that allow them to play at the Ricoh long after we are all dead and buried.

Otis

Depends what you call 'good'.

The simple vote winner (and thus politically expedient) use of capital is to say 'do you want this school closed down, or this leisure facility saved?' despite the fact the leisure facilities use up a fraction of the budget.

Now of course if you phrase the question in that way, you can guess which direction people vote. It's a good vote winner to claim you saved a school by cutting other budgets, even if it isn't necessarily as accurate as it may seem on the surface.

Life is always about the presentation of it, and there are many ways to look through the prism.

You may have noticed, I didn't say good, NW. :) I just don't think it will be bad news all round. I think CCFC will remain here, just with a different landlord. Business as usual.

Will be very surprised if there is any really good news for us in all this, but I just don't believe we will all be screwed over.

Can I ask, going off on a slight tangent, was there any opposition at all in Coventry to the Blaze coming in? Don't know much about ice hockey at all, so have no idea how well it was recieved when it was announced they were moving to Coventry.

NorthernWisdom

Can I ask, going off on a slight tangent, was there any opposition at all in Coventry to the Blaze coming in? Don't know much about ice hockey at all, so have no idea how it was recieved when announced they were moving to Coventry.

tbh I can't remember any.

As far as I recall it was more hey we've built this arena, and look a team wants to use it!

Otis

tbh I can't remember any.

As far as I recall it was more hey we've built this arena, and look a team wants to use it!

I remember it happening and also my not having any views on the matter. Knew they were coming but had no idea if Solihull had just disappeared or whether it was just another franchising thing.

bigfatronssba

You may have noticed, I didn't say good, NW. :) I just don't think it will be bad news all round. I think CCFC will remain here, just with a different landlord. Business as usual.

Will be very surprised if there is any really good news for us in all this, but I just don't believe we will all be screwed over.

Can I ask, going off on a slight tangent, was there any opposition at all in Coventry to the Blaze coming in? Don't know much about ice hockey at all, so have no idea how well it was recieved when it was announced they were moving to Coventry.

Solihull Barons played in Solihull between sometime in the 70's and the mid 90's. By the mid 90's the council owned Solihull arena was falling to bits and the Barons couldn't attract anyone there. The council refused to renovate the arena, and eventually the Barons went bust. They quickly reformed, with the intention to move to the NEC and become the Birmingham Blaze, in anticipation of this they become the Solihull Blaze for a short period.

Finances deteriorated and they couldn't afford the move to the NEC. They also knew if they stayed in Solihull they would cease to exist within a few years anyway. The Sky Dome was then built, and they took a chance and moved over.

chiefdave

Solihull Barons played in Solihull between sometime in the 70's and the mid 90's. By the mid 90's the council owned Solihull arena was falling to bits and the Barons couldn't attract anyone there. The council refused to renovate the arena, and eventually the Barons went bust. They quickly reformed, with the intention to move to the NEC and become the Birmingham Blaze, in anticipation of this they become the Solihull Blaze for a short period.

Finances deteriorated and they couldn't afford the move to the NEC. They also knew if they stayed in Solihull they would cease to exist within a few years anyway. The Sky Dome was then built, and they took a chance and moved over.

No idea if it's true or not but someone once told me when having this type of discussion that Solihull couldn't complain as they moved the team from Birmingham in the first place. As I say could be total bollocks, anyone of those more knowledgable on this subject know if there's anything to that?

bigfatronssba

No idea if it's true or not but someone once told me when having this type of discussion that Solihull couldn't complain as they moved the team from Birmingham in the first place. As I say could be total bollocks, anyone of those more knowledgable on this subject know if there's anything to that?

I wouldn't know. I only got my information from reading Paul Thompsons autobiography, and it starts in the early 80's so long after the Barons had formed.

Our Blaze team though is a new co from the one that played in Solihull from the 70's to the 90's. The Blaze were formed in 1996, just four years before they moved to Coventry, so its not really comparable to say Wimbledon.

Grendel

To give it a football reference probably closer to Arsenal and people don't go round calling them a franchise team.

Your justification for the unjustifiable embarrasses you.

If this team move here never, ever complain if we then move to Dublin or anywhere else as you will have no credibility.

bigfatronssba

To give it a football reference probably closer to Arsenal and people don't go round calling them a franchise team.

Yeah that is probably a fair comparison.

chiefdave

Your justification for the unjustifiable embarrasses you.

If this team move here never, ever complain if we then move to Dublin or anywhere else as you will have no credibility.

What are you on about? It seems to me if Blaze formed in 96 and moved to Cov 4 years later that is more comparable to Arsenal (formed in 1886 and moved in 1913) than Wimbledon (formed in 1889 and moved in 2003).

How have you got from that to not being able to complain if we moved to Dublin?

wingy

On the Chronological Scale ,surely Winkleman has missed a trick here !!

On the basis of History and location a Sale to the Jacksonville Jaguars or the like for that AF based team to break Into Britain ,while shifting a further 40 miles after the Initial 40 mile shunt.

Otis

On the Chronological Scale ,surely Winkleman has missed a trick here !!

On the basis of History and location a Sale to the Jacksonville Jaguars or the like for that AF based team to break Into Britain ,while shifting a further 40 miles after the Initial 40 mile shunt.

I might have given you a like, Wingy ............. that's if I had the slightest clue what you are talking about.

wingy

I might have given you a like, Wingy ............. that's if I had the slightest clue what you are talking about.

Was kinda responding to Chiefs assertion that the brevity of the Blazes and Arsenals existence prior to moving ,Exposed Winkleman as a Lax thinker as we all know the Big idea for American football in this Country .:confused::pointlaugh::)

wingy

Was also intending to be flippant and Absurd In the same instance,as that's where we're at now.

Otis

Was kinda responding to Chiefs assertion that the brevity of the Blazes and Arsenals existence prior to moving ,Exposed Winkleman as a Lax thinker as we all know the Big idea for American football in this Country .:confused::pointlaugh::)

Right.

Thinking about it, could we have the Jacksonville Wasps here in Coventry?

Limey

Feels very very wrong to me. Why the secrecy on the details of the bid? i.e this is what its about. Also, if Lucas has suggested 'back me or sack me' then that seems a very aggressive message, no? Theres no turning back from this one....

Hobo

Solihull who?

People mentioning ice hockey, basketball, franchise sport....what else do you expect from America...oh yeah hedge funds!

Users who are viewing this thread