A Strange Custom ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Today and a few months ago a customer of mine who's Nigerian couldn't pay me and she told me to come back. Nothing odd about that but both times she was locked in her house, and through a window said her husband doesn't leave her any money. I said to her " are you okay, as to me it looks suspicious ? She never answered. I cleaned a neighbour of her and they said they too were concerned.But found out it is normal behaviour for Nigerian couples, and best not get involved. So he goes out, locks her in, and she's in all day. If I'd have locked my ex missus in she'd have smashed her way out !

Gazolba

I remember the Danish woman who left her baby in it's carriage outside a shop when she went in to buy something.
Everyone was horrified, but she said that's normal in Denmark.

Nick

Administrator
Today and a few months ago a customer of mine who's Nigerian couldn't pay me and she told me to come back. Nothing odd about that but both times she was locked in her house, and through a window said her husband doesn't leave her any money. I said to her " are you okay, as to me it looks suspicious ? She never answered. I cleaned a neighbour of her and they said they too were concerned.But found out it is normal behaviour for Nigerian couples, and best not get involved. So he goes out, locks her in, and she's in all day. If I'd have locked my ex missus in she'd have smashed her way out !

He probably knew you were due round so was locking her up.

Literally "lock up your daughters / wives".

shmmeee

I remember the Danish woman who left her baby in it's carriage outside a shop when she went in to buy something.
Everyone was horrified, but she said that's normal in Denmark.

I remember my Mum telling me about a mature student immigrant, somewhere Eastern European I think, that said it was normal to leave the baby in a drawer while you went to work, then come back at lunch to feed it.

bringbackrattles

What Rattles outlines will now qualify under the new definition of domestic abuse, so it's illegal. How big is her old man???
I went round last time for the money. He came to the door, he knew who I was as he was in once before when I cleaned the windows. He was a jolly fat bloke !
Typical Nigerian like the Fone Jacker character, remember him ? She wasn't there though, probably locked in the airing cupboard ! He said thanks for cleaning etc and paid the money. Seemed okay.

Nick

Administrator
I went round last time for the money. He came to the door, he knew who I was as he was in once before when I cleaned the windows. He was a jolly fat bloke !
Typical Nigerian like the Fone Jacker character, remember him ? She wasn't there though, probably locked in the airing cupboard ! He said thanks for cleaning etc and paid the money. Seemed okay.

He should have asked for your bank details to send you the payment for the laughs.

CJ_covblaze

I’d be ringing the old bill. Even anonymously to Crimestoppers just so they’ve got a record of it to add to past and future concerns.

Nick

Administrator
I'm with CJ. I don't give a stuff if it's a particular "culture" - this is England and English law applies. Locking a woman up and preventing her going about whatever she chooses to do is domestic abuse, pure and simple!

She's lucky she is allowed out of the kitchen in the first place.

giphy.gif

*GIF indicates it was a joke and people shouldn't get upset!

bringbackrattles

She has opened a downstairs window to talk before, so obviously she can get out that way ? And there is kids there too. Just a weird set up I reckon. But the neighbours say they get on well with them, so what can you do.

bringbackrattles

In Bell Green where I live you often see "foreign" women walking behind their husbands, hear that's common as its a culture thing. And I've seen some walking next to the road so if there's an accident, the female gets hit first ! Unbelievable but true. On a lighter note, I have seen an African woman come out of Farmfoods in Bell Green and put a large bag of shopping on her head and walk casually away balancing it like you see on programmes on the news.

OffenhamSkyBlue

In Bell Green where I live you often see "foreign" women walking behind their husbands, hear that's common as its a culture thing. And I've seen some walking next to the road so if there's an accident, the female gets hit first ! Unbelievable but true. On a lighter note, I have seen an African woman come out of Farmfoods in Bell Green and put a large bag of shopping on her head and walk casually away balancing it like you see on programmes on the news.

I love to see other cultures behaving like you describe - that is what makes Britain a wonderful multi-cultural melting pot!
What I CANNOT stand is women being oppressed by being made to walk behind the male, or wearing a full burka while he wears a t-shirt and jeans.
It will be argued that they are doing it to comply with their religion, but my wife's question would be "could you take it off if you chose to?"

Nick

Administrator
I love to see other cultures behaving like you describe - that is what makes Britain a wonderful multi-cultural melting pot!
What I CANNOT stand is women being oppressed by being made to walk behind the male, or wearing a full burka while he wears a t-shirt and jeans.
It will be argued that they are doing it to comply with their religion, but my wife's question would be "could you take it off if you chose to?"

I know it's a different country and their ways but when I went to Turkey there were families on the beach. Dad was in his shorts and sunglasses and the women were in jet black full dress from head to toe. They went in the sea with it on and then sat on the beach in the sand in about 40c.

Must have been torture.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Having said all that, I was fortunate to be able to go on holiday to Indonesia a couple of years ago, and we saw a few things in Lombok (a mainly Muslim island) which we were enlightened by.
The first was a woman on the beach with her young kids (I don't recall a male adult being around). She was dressed in what you might call pyjamas (long chemise, full-length light trousers), including a head-scarf (hijab)- all very light fabric, amber-coloured, very attractive. She went into the sea like it was a bikini, and was clearly having a great time, not remotely oppressed by wearing what she did.
The other thing was at the hotel restaurant, where they were hosting some sort of conference. About 60 delegates, exclusively female, dressed in traditional clothes including head-scarves. We wondered who the women were, so eyeballed the notices - surgeons! All free as a bird (if you pardon the phrase!)
It is only the rise of fundamentalist Islamism which promotes the use of the burka and the subservience of women.

richnrg

The first was a woman on the beach with her young kids (I don't recall a male adult being around). She was dressed in what you might call pyjamas (long chemise, full-length light trousers), including a head-scarf (hijab)- all very light fabric, amber-coloured, very attractive. She went into the sea like it was a bikini, and was clearly having a great time.
did it stick to her when she came out of the sea, and could you see through it when the sun was behind her, and..

..sorry, got carried away

Otis

It's true about the walking behind the man in some cultures.

I was out in the Middle East and one day I saw a man on a horse and cart and the wife walking behind carrying heavy bags.

I asked him as to why and he said it was custom and tradition.

Two days later I saw the same man and his wife, only this time the woman was walking in front of the horse and cart.

Puzzled, I went and asked him 'why the change in tradition?'

He took one look at me and said 'landmines.'

Gazolba

I wonder how he would have reacted if you'd been a female window cleaner.

bringbackrattles

I wonder how he would have reacted if you'd been a female window cleaner.
My step daughter worked for a month once with me on the round. The customers loved her, she didn't like heights so she just cleaned downstairs windows. She was a bit fussy and slow at first and the windows sparkled as she went over them a few times. She loved the job though, and often talks about it some years on.

Users who are viewing this thread