A stirring and superb article by Jonathan Strange on ccfc - We must mow our own grass (1 Viewer)

kingharvest

The below is an article written by Janathan Strange, Deputy Chair of the Supporters Consultative Group, Chair of Coventry City London Supporters Club and Sky Blues International in response to the recent news on ccfc.

I urge you all to read it - its a wonderfully written article as always from Jon. It can also be found on my blog http://whoisandypowell.tumblr.com/

We must mow our own grass

Over the last twelve months, our football club has lurched, both on and off the field, from one difficulty to another. Relegation, already looking probable at the turn of the year, became a stark reality and with all the attendant financial implications that go with it. And, despite the now annual change of manager, the prospect of a return to the Championship may yet be some way beyond the next corner. However, for all the incredible goings-on at a handful of other clubs, Coventry City remains in business. News on the financial front appears in certain respects to have improved, and there is the prospect even of repossessing half of the turf we play on. Or is there?

The football club and ACL appear locked in an interminable dispute over rent for the use of the Ricoh Arena. To those of us who travel hundreds of miles regularly to support the club and, indirectly, the city to which it belongs, we perceive the squabbling with ever-growing incredulity.

Outsiders some of us may be, but nearly half-a-century ago we were witnesses to the recovery of a great city, and how that recovery was given such potent expression by the vision and dynamism of Derrick Robins and Jimmy Hill and by the Sky Blue revolution we have recently been recalling.

Coventry is a city that over the centuries has regularly needed to adapt and rediscover its identity, a city which has been savagely attacked and in recent years has been at the focus of industrial decline.

Again in 1987, the wonderful achievements of the local football team transcended the life of the city and its people.

The Ricoh Arena is a splendid sight as you approach from the motorway, a great multi-purpose stadium at the heart of England - venue for Olympic Games, other international football, rugby union, concerts, exhibitions and more. But not a great deal more.

Where would the Ricoh Arena be without its regular major tenant? This marriage is intrinsic to the community. Where would the catering contracts be, the rent deals? Whether it’s 5,000, 10,000 or 20,000 people visiting the Arena every fortnight, that’s a mountain of pies, an ocean-full of drinks.

The football club do not expect to play at the Ricoh for free. And they are not playing there for free.

The popular myth is that the club has ceased to pay anything at all since March. This is complete nonsense. It has continued to pay match day costs, previously included in the rent, in full on a match-by-match basis to ACL. Over a year, that represents well over £200,000 or double what a typical League One club pays in rent.

Not a single penny you and I spend at the Ricoh Arena, other than on our ticket and programme, goes to the football club. With the reality of Financial Fair Play almost upon us, the club’s inability to demonstrate a sufficient sale of chips and cokes etc on its balance sheet will undermine its right to compete for decent players – a major reason why the club aspires to buy back the Higgs Trust half of the stadium.

A city needs its shrines - of religion, learning, culture and sport. And Coventry has them aplenty. It also needs those centres that are the expression of the multi-cultural diversity of the city. The Ricoh Arena is one of Coventry’s most significant totems.

This squalid bickering has got to stop. We are where we are, for all the dreadful mistakes and errors of judgement that may have been made. ACL and the football club must resolve their issues for everybody’s sakes.

Five goals in twenty-seven minutes at Hartlepool and a steady flow of improving results is worthy of cheer. Mark Robins is making progress. The future, in any sense, is far from ensured. But there are at least the seeds of some conviction.

There is no better yardstick than relegation for sorting out genuine fans from fair-weather ones. But for City supporters, having endured so many years of such abject disappointment, relegation brought with it a new view. Suddenly, we were in a humbler home but one where we hoped we really might be able to mow the grass at last. Our neighbours were new and unfamiliar. There have been new maps, new grounds, new stations and new pubs to explore.

It may seem odd, even distasteful, to report that this has been quite an exciting time to be a member of CCLSC. We have rediscovered some of the sense of adventure that accompanied our Saturdays in far-off days.

There is one fervent wish I carry into 2013. That is for a healthy resolution to the seemingly intractable problems of Coventry City and the Ricoh Arena. This great stadium must be enabled to become the real home of this great football club. One of the solutions to the undoubted difficulties of ACL lies in a shared responsibility and common sense of purpose with the football club.

blueflint

good article well posted i agree with the sentiment just hope sisu sell and to a worthy owner who will have the clubs best interest at heart.sisu dont have that

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I agree with the sentiment that all parties should sort this out sooner than later. They need to talk and find agreement that everyone can live with.

Got to say the argument regarding finances is flawed and have explained why often enough. ACL etc have said CCFC are paying something but the fact is they are not paying their contractual obligations to pay rent and maintain the escrow account. I believe that this has been confirmed by PWKH who is closely involved in the financial situation not guessing at it or repeating spin.

We dont play in a typical average L1 ground and I would have thought most fans wouldn't look at CCFC as a typical average L1 team either. There is no logic to claiming average in terms of rent. I know it doesnt fit certain arguments but the club doesn't benefit from average L1 income streams at the Ricoh..... crowds, advertising income corporate packages etc are far from average. Really would love to see a proper analysis of what L1 rents actually are, including notional rents for grounds owned or owned by mortgage - not so long ago TF announced it was £150k a year now it is £100k ..... guessing at figures to suit perhaps ?

They have no right to the income streams, they sold them years ago, when they were close to going out of business yet again. Yet ACL have done deals with CCFC to let them have car park incomes, pitch side advertising, etc etc but that isnt highlighted because it doesnt suit the hard luck spin. I am sick and tired of people thinking that somehow CCFC is somehow a charity case and should be gifted income and assets.... that the club has the right to the income. I say again they sold those rights. If the owners of CCFC want the income streams buy them back, do a deal to change things. If the owners want the assets do a deal and buy them. It isnt a difficult concept to understand. Why should council or charity simply write off their investment and give it to CCFC?

The only match day income CCFC do not get is the income from the Kiosks - yes there is turnover there but what about the costs? and how much income & profit do you think 10000 people generate in pies and beer?

The implication is buying 50% of the shares (not the stadium) improves the income of the club - it doesnt, not going explain why again. Plus if so crucial why have SISU not spoken to the Charity since June?

Club want these things then come up with a viable business plan and money then buy it back ........ that opportunity hasn't changed since January 2008 ! SISU and the club have chosen not to address that situation. Quit belly aching, blaming others, act fairly and reasonably, be a business partner not a business adversary

Like I say I agree the sentiment - they should all be pulling in the same direction but ....................

Last edited:

BurbageSkyBlues

Tough one, this.

The sentiment is within us all, however the facts are as portrayed by reality , and articulated by OSB in particular. I have to say, Swiss hits the nail on the head, if we go to the wall, so be it - we can't cry 'foul' by Portsmouth, but have a contradictory belief that we have a right to special treatment by public offices and charities.

For me, personally, if we go under, then I would be more comfortable with dedicating time, money and support for a SISU-free club; a club which might be starting from humble beginnings, like AFC Wimbledon, but at least a club with morality.

Sky Blues

I've logged in several times this afternoon with the intention of responding to this article. Everytime I find myself struggling to find the words I want to use to string together thoughts that include "contract", "50 per cent reduction" and "would be no better than Pompey". In the meantime OSB, Swiss and Burbage have between them pretty much said what I wanted to say. I agree with much of it. I'd rather we were a club with pride and a place in the community, than some snivelling, cold-hearted *expletive*

BurbageSkyBlues

You've said it, sky blues, and it matters.

These are painful times, not just for the club, but the city that it should represent. The city, indeed the whole area, has suffered immensely in the last twenty or so years. The decimation of our engineering heritage is, in no small measure, paralleled by the demise of the fortunes for our club. They are intertwined: the success of one has fed the other, just like the failings have undermined our hopes and prides.

We will be back, these things are cyclical.............but when, I don't know, it may take several decades before circumstances contrive to our advantage, I hope we are all still here to witness it.

PUSBs

hill83

The last three people have said everything I want to say.
The proverbial 'we' will happily sit here and slag Pompey off, but we are no better at the moment. Sisu and 'us' are the same thing, and it's time for sense to prevail. Like the poster above, I've so much to say but don't know how to express it. The club is an embarrassment at the moment. Pay the f**cking rent. Invest enough to compete. Reap the rewards.

Bennets Afro

If the rent was that high, then sisu would be doin everything in it's power to negotiate a new figure. This should of/ could of been sorted months ago.
The way they have gone about it by refusing to pay and only payin matchday costs is wrong. Until a new deal is sorted, they should still be paying the agreed fee and not trying to put other companies out of business. Messing with other people jobs is just immoral.
Just shows that rent is not the real issue and they just want the Ricoh.
I love the club, but I would still be a city fan whatever league we are in so do your worst sisu, your gonna get feck all

blueflint

i've had the opinion for at least two years that sisu will never be good for our club.they have systematically stripped us to the bone and let us drop everything that was good sold our best players sold our major assets and there wasn't many of them.we need a fresh start if sisu want to keep us they must invest and pay the bills if not find a buyer and cut there losses i dont care which anymore :blue::blue::blue::blue:

Lord_Nampil

The rent was always going to be a problem, Robinson and Fletcher have been in the media recently saying it was a problem back at the start but was the only offer on the table which the club had to sign (otherwise there would be no ground for the club)!

Fletcher said something interesting around the lines of a club like Everton wouldn't be able to afford a rent of 1.2 million and they are a premier league side! Not sure if he ment then or now, most probably then back in 2003 when the deal was signed!

You can now understand why Fletcher tried the Operation Premiership task! It kinda makes more sense now why he did it, spend money on players and try and get into the top flight quickly, in doing so we then would be on a sensible financial footing that would allow us to buy the stake of the stadium back! Sadly it never worked out even though players like Elliott Ward and Jay Tabb made it to the promise land!

The question in is why didn't SISU put the deal to bed in 2007, We all know they made mistakes and thankfully over the last 12 months they have accepted the mistakes they have made have resulted in our current position. But Ranson must have said something to make them appoint Chris Coleman, to spend the money on players like Westwood, Eastwood, Fox, Dann etc instead of building the foundations behind the scenes first! Iv heard rumors of a deal for the 50% share pulled at the 11th hour back in SISUs early days, if they hadn't of down that we probably would be in a far better position than we have ever been in recent history, but not doing so has allowed this chain of event to unfold which was inevitable!

ACL have an income of £1.2 million from the club + sponsorship,car parking, Food Drink etc from every game. This is something they can not live with out.

CCFC have a rent of £1.2 Million to pay - sponsorship,car parking, Food Drink etc from every game which they currently don't get because of the rent agreement. This is something they can't live with and there for cannot afford!

Reading the article it does make decent reading and points in the right directions. The worry i have now is the trust between all parties has got to a point where no body can talk to any body no one trust each other and no deal or resolve to the situation is clear cut. Its easy for One side to say one thing and another side to say another thing, threats by one are attacked with threats from another its just getting to a point now where some one could do something really silly and cause the whole thing to collapse in on it self with the a massive white Elephant left next to a rounder about with no owner and no tenant!

Something needs to happen to resolve this stupid stand off situation and it needs to happen for the good of everybody!

Users who are viewing this thread