A sleeping giant (1 Viewer)

theprince

While i agree about the ground location it is only a pain in the ass to go to if we are doing badly which is more often than not, do a Southampton and all of a sudden the Ricoh becomes accessible but that's fickle football fans for you. As for player recruitment i really don't see our owners doing anymore than they have to, they saw a bench full of kids towards the end of the season as able to save uis from the drop i can't see them doing much else next season, don't forget our 2 loanees were just inexperienced kids too.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

I think there is a lot of truth in what those of you who remark about the economic situation in Coventry say. Yes, the city has been through a lot of strife in recent times however I think there is a lack of positivity and "get up and go" about Coventry at the moment and I largely blame the Council (and both Labour and Conservative administrations) for this. For example, one only has to look at the demise of Courtaulds, a once iconic factory employing thousands, which is now boarded up and with grass four feet high, to see that something new is needed to revive things. Alas, the Peugeot factory at Ryton was demolished and I haven't seen any sign of development there since, it has just been abandoned. Then there was the recent saga over the airport, the recent closure a number of city centre restaurants, the travails of the Rugby club etc. What Coventry really needs is someone with leadership and vision to promote the city to the international world, to attract the necessary inward investment and to show some aspiration and optimism. Sadly with the rejection of an elected mayor an opportunity was missed but I don't want to get too political.
Back to football it is sadly clear that an area's economic demographic has some bearing on its performance on the field. For example, I don't think it is a coincidence that clubs like Reading, Southampton, Brighton and Norwich are performing so well at present. They are all located in wealthy areas where professional footballers (particularly those from overseas) would be happy to live. It is much easier to sell these sort of clubs to investors than the likes of Middlesbrough or Barnsley. I think we are going to see a more Southern-centric Premier League in the future. I don't welcome it but I feel it is inevitable. The best way for small northern clubs to compete is by having a Jack Walker or Dave Whelan figure - a very rich benefactor who is passionate about championing their local club. So in the long term we either need to find a Walker or a Whelan or we need to demand that Coventry is a much more ambitious, aspirational and optimistic place as the culture of failure in the city is pervading the football club at present.

smouch1975

You forgot Coventry Climax, Alvis, Triumph, Casey's, Massey's, the British part of Jaguar, Dunlop, Auto Bodies, etc , etc.

Jump on, and cry me down, but clear state any one of those companies in a better state than it was 30 years ago

Tank Top

Not as much as a sleeping giant as Wakefield Town
23_33_20.gif

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
yes the club has the potential to be more successful..... but has had that many years and it never ever comes close aside from 1987..... but a sleeping giant ?

a population does not make a giant club........ we have had a large population for decades but look at the crowds average would seem to be around 16K....... sustained success makes a giant.

Giants look down on others ...... lets be real we do not look down on many. There are 5 or 6 clubs in the premiership that can be classed as giants. Locally you could make an argument for villa but they are struggling.......... there are some clubs that used to be giants Preston for example but because money goes to money and the big clubs get stronger then the gap between the real giants and us just gets bigger each year. There are no sleeping giants only clubs with some potential, that might with some money and a lot of luck mixed with clear business minds achieve some success.

What I whole heartedly agree with is that CCFC needs a change of attitude from top to bottom. We approach matches and seasons from the point of view of loss limitation..... we do not go out with a positive mind to win (on or off the pitch) ...... that above all else has to change...... because without that change there will not be the success.

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

You have to look at our core fanbase.

We don't have a massive core fanbase when you compare us to clubs we have always compared ourselves to back in the Prem days like Norwich, Saints etc.

They have a very solid season ticket base which we just never had.

A decade of rot in the Championship has dented our core further.

The drop to L1 will not help.

Norwich and Saints drew bog crowds in L1 and I doubt we will even get close to their averages.

Disorganised1

I don't see the vote against an elected mayor as being a loss myself, let's face it, given the demographic of the city, the next mayor would have been Mr Personality, Bob Ainsworth.

Younger fans don't remember 50,000 for the Wolves game, or standing shoulder to shoulder on the West End for games against Newcastle and Totenahm in the 70's. All they see is what's happening now, even back in the old days there was a solidarity about the fans. Ordinary working class blokes who went for a pie and a pint and to shout with their mates at a group of players who were not much different from them.

TheSnoz

If we're talking of a tiny bit of ambition from the club - something that might just make frustrated lapsed fans pay attention - what sort of financial commitment in terms of transfer fees/wages do you think would be a good sign? Be realistic. Aside from a few free transfers, what commitment would it take? It might be as little as a million. To get promoted and back to a better income stream. Surely SISU have that in their locker? Surely that would encourage a new mentality around the club?
Disorganised, in 1970 I recall to stand on the Kop cost 70p (14/-). I was earning about £20 a week back then So admission was less than 5% of my wage. Today at £25 matchday price for somebody on say £250 (a lot of people in low paid service industries these days) that is obviously 10%. A big jump. Though of course a season ticket makes it a whole lot cheaper.

Disorganised1

In 1970 I was still getting away with kids prices ! (I was 16) However I was still at school and earnt £1 a week from a Saturday job. By the end of the year I was on an apprenticeship £7.00 per week and I had to work Saturdays, so only got to evening games.

In terms of ambition I'd say 4 good signings would do it, sign Cranie and Keogh, then get Norwood and one promising youngster.

Users who are viewing this thread