a rumour from a "source" (2 Viewers)

covcity4life

i dont make these threads as any long serving SBT members will know but this was on my FB timeline from someone who knows someone etc,take it with a pinch(or bag) of salt

yesterday thorn was called into SISU offices,told to give names of players he definelnetly wants to keep for next season,rest will ALL be sold in summer and sisu will not be selling to hoffman and will be around for a lot longer

apparently thorn was extremley angry

the only reason i post this was that there were rumours of thorn being sacked yesterday so perhaps there is some truth to him meeting sisu yesterday

Otis

God help us if this is true and Sisu are still in charge next season and won't sell.

This would all point to relegation this season followed by a relegation dogfight next year in League One.

CovLis86

I can agree with a whole squad clearout (bar a couple of players) .... but if the case of SISU staying and not selling up were true, I just find the thought unbearable to be honest.

rob9872

It's all very well saying who you want to sell but the problem is that all the ones he likely wants rid of, nobody will buy!

covcity4life

mate on FB used the term "fire" sale

lets hope its not true

for successfull league one promotion bid(scary just typing league one) we need to keep at least

christie,thomas,brigi,deegan,mcsheff,cameron,wood,macdonald,platt

craine,keough,clingan will all be off,we need to keep a good core though

ccfcway

so, to confirm, Thorn has to give a list of the names he wants to keep out of the 17 man 1st team sqaud we will have left here in the summer.

After has has given them names, the rest will be sold ?

Well, we will have....

Murphy
Keogh
Hussey
Bell
Baker
McSheff
Deegan
Dunn
McDonald
O'Donovan
Platt
Wood
Clarke
Cameron
Christie
Thomas
Gael Bigi

Keogh wont stay, and if he got rid of O'Donovan, that would leave us with a squad of 15

They cant sell too many more can they !

ashbyjan

I was told this rumour as well - Thorn was summoned and thought he was going to be sacked. However the caveat I was told was the player sales were if we were relegated - ie we had to slash the wage bill to match the drop in income. No real surprise in clearing out players is there? Income will be drastically reduced and they are planning ahead, putting in place a contingency plan - agreed planning ahead is not a trait that this club is known for though! Reinforces view that they won't be pumping millions in but yet again thats hardly news.

Last edited:

CovLis86

Pretty much agree with your list. Though i really think if we made a big push to keep Keogh, he could be the difference maker. Cranie and Clingan off to clear up wages.
Sometimes it really is best just to 'start from scratch' , but for me, that would have to be under new owners too. Really hope that part of the rumour is untrue! Surely they wouldnt have already decided before meeting that they arent going to sell, else why bother meeting at all.

covcity4life

I was told this rumour as well - Thorn was summoned and thought he was going to be sacked. However the caveat I was told was the player sales were if we were relegated - ie we had to slash the wage bill to match the drop in income. No real surprise in clearing out players is there? Income will be drastically reduced and they are planning ahead, putting in place a contingency plan - agreed planning ahead is not a trait that this club is known for though! Reinforces view that they won't be pumping millions in but yet again thats hardly news.

that definetly sounds better,but we have been lowering wages for 4-5 years now,they cant be on much can they

if we go to league one i want to see us keep as much of the same team as possible as i beleive they are good enough to fight for promotion(they compete in every championship match after all)

dunn
clarke
cameron
wood
christie
brigi
thomas
deegan
baker/mcsheff
platt
o donald

thats the starting 11 i would be happy with in L1

surely likes of baker and bell cant be on more than 2-3k a week?

CovLis86

For some reason I think Bell is on a fair old wack. Personally hes one of the top couple on my list I would love to see us get rid of. Had a good appearance against Middlesborough, but way too often he goes missing, is sloppy and doesnt look like he gives a damn about the cause.

kingharvest

Why didn't Thorn just say, i definitely want to keep everyone.

Then they wouldn't be able to sell anyone

Problem solved

kingharvest

also - i don't believe the line about not selling to Hoffman. Sorry, but the club is ALWAYS for sale, given the right offer.

J

Jack Griffin

More rumours, but SISU holding on sounds very likely, they want to make money out of this club, they know Hoffman wants it so they are holding out for a good price.
I suspect they will never sell cut price unless they totally run out of money or the club truns into a big loss making activity. Basic sales technique..
As the club is the only one in a big city, there will always be enough support to keep it in the 3rd tier or better.

Remember we are mushrooms.. at least Fisher seems to have a clue about what he's doing & if prepared to horse trade.. Ken D was much worse..

Godiva

i dont make these threads as any long serving SBT members will know but this was on my FB timeline from someone who knows someone etc,take it with a pinch(or bag) of salt

yesterday thorn was called into SISU offices,told to give names of players he definelnetly wants to keep for next season,rest will ALL be sold in summer and sisu will not be selling to hoffman and will be around for a lot longer

apparently thorn was extremley angry

the only reason i post this was that there were rumours of thorn being sacked yesterday so perhaps there is some truth to him meeting sisu yesterday

Why would Thorn be angry? Angry because he was not sacked or angry because he was told he could keep the players he want?

Oh ... btw, where is Clingan and Cranie in this? They were not sold (to my surprise) this window and can leave for free in the Summer.
That would indicate new contracts on much better wages fro those two if we stay up.

procdoc

Why would Thorn be angry? Angry because he was not sacked or angry because he was told he could keep the players he want?

Oh ... btw, where is Clingan and Cranie in this? They were not sold (to my surprise) this window and can leave for free in the Summer.
That would indicate new contracts on much better wages fro those two if we stay up.

we were in the same situation with Westwood, Gunnar and King last January, none of them signed new contracts and went for free

Sterling Archer

Cranie and Keogh would be the best defensive partnership in L1 if we got relegated. Also isn't L1 the level where Baker was scoring at a ratio of 1 goal every 2 games from Midfield. Also think a fit McDonald would be an asset a step down.

Sub

how many players are out of contract at the end of the season ??:thinking about::thinking about::thinking about:

rob9872

What about sheffers? Isnt this the one year option triggered from last years one 1+1?

Sub

so there will be a few players that will be offered shite contracts to stay and will leave anyway thus reducing the wage bill alot because they are probly the highest earners:thinking about:

ashbyjan

Does anyone know which of the kids are out of contract? Of the seniors I believe its Cranie, Clingan, Platt and Eastwood - not sure about Sheff. Would love to hold onto Cranie but cannot see it if we get relegated and the rest can all go as far as I am concerned.

J

Jack Griffin

They still have to ensure the squad is big enough to cope, but they'll be able to attract loan players from the Premiership clubs.
For sure the Sky Blues in Lge 1 are a lot more attractive than Bury, Hartlepool & Carlise etc..

Sad, but that is where we are at..

Moff

Whilst I am unsure of the validity of any rumour, its basic economics to cut costs if income levels fall, which they will with the fairly inevitable relegation.

Some of our better players will leave, as many wont want to be playing in a lower division, whilst others will come to the end of their contracts, and will be allowed to go, whilst others wont want to sign another contract with the club.

Many of these will be on fairly good terms which will cut our wage bill accordingly, especially the enigma himself Freddie whose loss will be a wages bonus for the club.

Sad economics, but true.

Brighton Sky Blue

I simply don't understand what SISU have to gain from remaining in charge of the club. They are beyond salvaging pride or recouping their investment-from a business, professional, and footballing standpoint, there is not a single good reason for them to stay.

procdoc

I think McSheffrey signed a long term deal earlier this season when we were handing out contracts for fun to the likes of Bell and McPake

DazzleTommyDazzle

To sell a player you need:
1) A club that wants to buy him and
2) The player's agreement that he will join that club on the terms offered.

The fact that a player has not been sold does not mean that his club have not tried to sell him.

ashbyjan

What really worries me isn't selling players if we get relegated its actually not selling players. If say a certain useless slow as a sloth "winger", is on a ridiculous £6.5k a week for another 3 years, who is going to match that ridiculous amount? And is he going to willingly move somewhere for much lower wages? Truth is he will stick around taking his idiotic wages, and who can blame him if we were stupid enough to offer them. I have a horrible feeling the moronic contracts that were given to poor players simply to increase the clubs book value could come back to haunt us and force us to sell players we would rather keep just to pay for these overpaid crap ones.

That for me is a more nightmare scenario than just Thorn doing a sell list. Does that assume he will still be in charge next season?

kingharvest

What really worries me isn't selling players if we get relegated its actually not selling players. If say a certain useless slow as a sloth "winger", is on a ridiculous £6.5k a week for another 3 years, who is going to match that ridiculous amount? And is he going to willingly move somewhere for much lower wages? Truth is he will stick around taking his idiotic wages, and who can blame him if we were stupid enough to offer them. I have a horrible feeling the moronic contracts that were given to poor players simply to increase the clubs book value could come back to haunt us and force us to sell players we would rather keep just to pay for these overpaid crap ones.

That for me is a more nightmare scenario than just Thorn doing a sell list. Does that assume he will still be in charge next season?

how do you kn ow its £6.5k?

ashbyjan

I did say "say" a certain..... I have no photocopy of his actual payslip unfortunately to show but it is the figure that has been mentioned before.

cloughie

I don't know what's more shocking, the amount he gets each week or the length of contract given:thinking about::confused:

Users who are viewing this thread