a reliable source told me... (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Clarrie Bourton scored a few for us too, shall we dig him up for tonight?

McSheffrey hasn't looked interested, talented or fit since his return. The fact that he's a City fan makes his lack if effort worse, not better.

Brighton Sky Blue

1 in 6 is pretty decent for a wide midfielder. Last season he got 9 goals, and the season before 10 goals (our second top goal scorer in both campaigns?), and I honestly think he can still be an asset to the club.
However, ultimately, I just think considering how many games he's played for the club; the fact he is from Coventry; a fan himself, scoring 59 goals for us, not to mention pretty much single handedly keeping us up in our final season at highfield rd (albeit with a little help from stern john), that he deserves a little more respect from the fans.

As for the David Bell comment, you're absolutely right, but it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. Sentiment in football rarely benefits anyone as it takes longer to get rid of underperformers-just take Dalglish at Liverpool as the perfect example. So what if Sheff's a City fan-we all are but that doesn't mean we deserve a first team spot.

aodea

In my opinion i think Mcsheffery is worth having. Still very good on his day can score goals but he does not havee the good days as often as he used to. I have very fond memories of Mcsheffery and like having him around. Hopefully he can improve this year cause when he is good he is brillant.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Unless he steps up his energy and performance levels i cannot see MR retaining McSheffery. He has made no real impact this season and I cannot see him fitting in with the high energy disciplined approach that MR will demand. He will be on a decent wage so that wont endear him to the Board given his present levels of performance either. When does his contract run out ?.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
on the subject of showing McSheffery more respect........ not sure he deserves more respect than any one else to be honest. He deserves as does everyone a fair assessment of his performance but that has to be based on current performance not past glories. Players are paid well even in League 1 to go out and do their job and a big chunk of that pay is provided by the fans.

Yes McSheffery by accident of birth is a cov kid, yes he supports his home town club but that club has provided him with his riches, yes he may have helped us stay up at HR but at the Ricoh he helped take us down. He has to have worth to the current team, he has to perform (as do all players) to a level that makes a difference to the team. Yes he has a history to the team and you can value that as a memory but it has no current value to the team and it is the team that is important first and foremost.

He took the kudos or extra respect when he was doing well ....... but if you accept that then you have to accept the criticism when he isnt doing so well. I dont think it is lack of physical effort as such but he cant do what he used to, isnt as sharp as he was, is on the down slope of his career (and he isnt a player that i would say has looked after his body away from training etc)........ in dragging up his past of what was it actually makes the harsh reality of what is harder to accept. It happens with many players if not nearly all, and there comes a time where his contribution is not worth the reward he is given ......... then his time is up.

All fans colour their opinion of players their own way.... that is the beauty and ugliness of opinions..... does he deserve respect for his past probably yes but does that have any relationship to the team needs at present no. Does that mean extra respect for now ? no. He is entitled to a fair assessment just like everyone else and it would be hard not to conclude that this season he has been well short of requirement so far (like many others). Can he regain past glories? I wouldnt bet on it personally.

Doesnt offer enough for me now ...... i wouldnt renew his contract, i would move him on.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

1 in 6 is pretty decent for a wide midfielder. Last season he got 9 goals, and the season before 10 goals (our second top goal scorer in both campaigns?), and I honestly think he can still be an asset to the club.
However, ultimately, I just think considering how many games he's played for the club; the fact he is from Coventry; a fan himself, scoring 59 goals for us, not to mention pretty much single handedly keeping us up in our final season at highfield rd (albeit with a little help from stern john), that he deserves a little more respect from the fans.

As for the David Bell comment, you're absolutely right, but it's irrelevant.

He played AMC last season for us, went missing a LOT! This season has been dreadful and deserves the overdue criticism he gets!

Sorry, but he doesn't deserve respect for what he done 5-6 years ago (when he was good) and in between that, he left to Birmingham!

Finally gets the criticism he deserves

Yorkshire SB

He played AMC last season for us, went missing a LOT! This season has been dreadful and deserves the overdue criticism he gets!

Sorry, but he doesn't deserve respect for what he done 5-6 years ago (when he was good) and in between that, he left to Birmingham!

Finally gets the criticism he deserves

You seem to think that he just chose to leave, I really don't think it is as simple as that. The fact Birmingham bid 4 million means he had to go, same with Bigirimana this summer, he didn't want to go but the club accepted the bid and he had to go!

He played AMC...so out of position then? He's either wide left or a striker, and he's not been able to play there in the diamond formation. Still bagged nine goals for us last season too.

Yorkshire SB

If you get upset so easily then why do you come on a football forum?

I don't get upset. You've added that word yourself. I just feel that there is a manner used by a minority, on this forum, that is extremely condescending. Additionally, I didn't realise a football forum was a haven for such activity?

Yorkshire SB

Unless he steps up his energy and performance levels i cannot see MR retaining McSheffery. He has made no real impact this season and I cannot see him fitting in with the high energy disciplined approach that MR will demand. He will be on a decent wage so that wont endear him to the Board given his present levels of performance either. When does his contract run out ?.

I would agree that he needs to up his energy levels to fit in with MR's expectations. However he's never been that kind of player. Furthermore I would argue he is a luxury player. I think if we were performing well and were top 3/4, McSheffrey would be a major factor behind it.
I personally don't want the McSheffrey's of the side chasing down every ball and running themselves into the ground, simply because when they get the ball in the final third I want them to be able to do something with it, not be too tired.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
energy and performance do not mean a player has to tear arse around a pitch for ninety minutes ......... it means that he uses his head affects the things can and should affect and makes the right decisions. He needs to be a positive in the team, which at present he isnt to any great degree. If he is playing in a 4 4 2 then he has to be able to put the work in and tackle back otherwise it leaves our full back exposed. He wont be first choice up front McGoldrick is quite rightly and he is better with someone to play off (thats not a role McSheffery can do). He is an option up front but he is not plan A or possibly even Plan B.

We are not in a position to have a luxury player in League 1....... the league requires players to be fully engaged if we are to be successful. That again doesnt mean a team of work horses, skill flair and ability are also imprtant but the building block is the effective workrate in the team formation. MR doesnt strike me as a manager who relies on past glories or the hope that sometimes a player may come good

I think MR will look at his work rate, fitness and what he actually achieves for the team overall and decide from there.

skybluebeduff

When McSheffery leaves football he can always take up his brothers job and deal drugs :whistle: And his contract runs out in at the end of this season but im sure theres an option for another year.

skybluebeduff

holyoaks is SHIT
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Users who are viewing this thread