A record for SISU to aim for? (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Wikipedia said:
An inheritance dispute erupted with her [Elizabeth de Berkeley, Countess of Warwick] father's death in 1417. Thomas had named her his heir, but many of his lands and estates, including Berkeley Castle, were entailed through the male line to Elizabeth's cousin James Berkeley Elizabeth and her husband refused to accept the entail, thus "initiat[ing] one of the longest lawsuits in England," which lasted until 1609.

Gosb

In the meantime, I understand, Berkeley United dropped to the fourth tier of English football. It was eventually resolved by agreeing that the proceeds of the tea shop at Berkeley castle should be split 50/50. And a new lawn was laid.

Sky Blue Harry H

It may be a different one, but I remember hearing about a vast fortune (king size) being contested by descendants for over a century, whereupon it ended with the whole amount having been used up on legal costs, and nobody got a penny (except the lawyers!)

olderskyblue

An inheritance dispute erupted with her [Elizabeth de Berkeley, Countess of Warwick] father's death in 1417. Thomas had named her his heir, but many of his lands and estates, including Berkeley Castle, were entailed through the male line to Elizabeth's cousin James Berkeley Elizabeth and her husband refused to accept the entail, thus "initiat[ing] one of the longest lawsuits in England," which lasted until 1609.

It feels that long already....

DionDublinsJockstrap

I once read a book about this. Some really interesting characters.

Head gamekeeper Stephen Ogrouseovich worked on the estate until he was a 103. He was only allowed to leave on the basis of training a suitable replacement.

Local poacher Timothy de Fischer and his infamous hunting dog

Timothy had a long standing relationship with a wench from London Town with the nickname “I’ll do anything for money” For 17 years he failed to bed her, but fortunately he had masochistic tendencies and so the regular beatings were some sort of consolation

The only person who really knew what was going on at Seppala Towers was Stan the portcullis man.

For quite a few years Seppala Towers was going to move elsewhere in the county but the residents of Rugby Town revolted and eventually invented another game just to keep Coventry Heathens out.

olderskyblue

I once read a book about this. Some really interesting characters.

Head gamekeeper Stephen Ogrouseovich worked on the estate until he was a 103. He was only allowed to leave on the basis of training a suitable replacement.

Local poacher Timothy de Fischer and his infamous hunting dog

Timothy had a long standing relationship with a wench from London Town with the nickname “I’ll do anything for money” For 17 years he failed to bed her, but fortunately he had masochistic tendencies and so the regular beatings were some sort of consolation

The only person who really knew what was going on at Seppala Towers was Stan the portcullis man.

For quite a few years Seppala Towers was going to move elsewhere in the county but the residents of Rugby Town revolted and eventually invented another game just to keep Coventry Heathens out.

"Jim" the portcullis man...

DionDublinsJockstrap

Many thanks - must have been misquoted in the book!

Another character was one of Stephen O’Grousovich’s understudy’s - Leigh Burgeon. A particularly unfortunate character

In 1424 he was at the height of his powers

Trapped himself whilst setting a mantrap - 14 times
Near drownings - 7 times - probably not this fault Stephen hadn’t asked at the interview whether Leigh could swim
On the upside he won young gamekeeper of the year (Midlands branch)

Users who are viewing this thread